St. Louis Bourbon Academy Is Cancelled

Due to some unforeseen circumstances, this weekends Bourbon Academy with Mike Veach has been cancelled. We’re working with Mike Veach and The Filson Historical Society to get a new date scheduled and will share the information when it becomes available.

We apologize for the inconvenience and encourage you to fill the time slot by inviting your friends over for bourbon and banter.

Comments { 0 }

Win Free Admission to the St. Louis Bourbon Academy

Win Free Admission to the St. Louis Bourbon Academy

Less than week until the 2014 St. Louis Bourbon Academy featuring Mike Veach from the Filson Historical Society.

More info on the 2014 St. Louis Bourbon Academy

If you’d like to win free admission for yourself and a friend to this year’s Bourbon Academy, complete the form below and submit.

We’ll pick a winner of 2 tickets next week on Thursday, October 9th.

Due to the popularity of this event we ask that you only enter to win if you can attend and take advantage of free admission.  Good luck!

Comments { 0 }

Few Spirits Rye Whiskey Review

Few Spirits Rye Whiskey Review

Disclaimer: Few Spirits provided Bourbon & Banter with samples of their products for this review. we appreciate their willingness to allow us to review their products with no strings attached. Thank you.

Editor’s Note: This Few Spirits Rye whiskey review is the 2nd review based on a series of samples provided by Few Spirits to Ginny Tonic and Patrick ‘Pops’ Garrett. Make sure to check out Ginny’s first review – Few Spirits Bourbon – and then come back to read this one in its entirety. The introductory text below is a repeat from the bourbon review so go ahead and skip to the actual tasting notes if you’ve read it already.

At this point in the craft distilling boom, I think it is understandable that those of us who are bourbon aficionados may have become a little cynical. I can speak from experience of how heartbreaking it can be when the cute little distillery with the beautiful bottle that you just paid $50 for turns out to be putting out a less than impressive product or is found to be hiding the source of their whiskey behind a veil of slick marketing and creative back story.

So it was with excitement, but also a bit of hesitation, that I opened my box of samples from Few Spirits in Evanston, IL. The samples included three different gins, a bourbon and a rye whiskey.

My first thought on seeing the whiskeys was to wonder where Few Spirits was sourcing them from. When I read the informational materials and learned that Few Spirits ferments, distills, and bottles all of its products from scratch in their distillery, I had to reevaluate my expectations.

Charlie and I tried the three gins included in the sampler, Few American Gin, Barrel Gin and Few Standard-Issue Gin which results in me writing a very positive review of them for Queen City Drinks. But frankly a good gin, while refreshing and absolutely necessary for martinis and tonics, does not mean that a good whiskey will follow.

Few Spirits began in 2011 in Evanston, Illinois. It is a city that, thanks to its strong ties to the temperance movement, remained completely dry until 1972. Founder, Paul Hletko, is a former record label executive who was inspired by his grandfather who owned a brewery in the Czech Republic before World War II. The whiskeys and gins at Few Spirits all originate in a Vendome still, but the whiskeys are then finished in a 1,500 liter hybrid still while a smaller 150-liter pot still is used exclusively to distill the gins with their botanicals. There is no age statement or information about how the whiskey is aged but if they really are producing it grain to bottle it can’t be any older than three years.
Continue Reading →

Comments { 0 }

#BOURBONEVANGELIST Spread The Bourbon Gospel

Today’s the day. It’s time for all bourbon evangelists to rise up, turn to Twitter and declare their love for all things bourbon. The video above provides a quick summary of what you need to do in order to partake in our efforts to spread the bourbon gospel across the world as we celebrate the closing of Bourbon Heritage Month. You can also get additional details on our original Bourbon Evangelists To Unite blog post.

Don’t forget to tag your tweets with #bourbonevangelist to aid in our efforts and to enter for a chance to win some cool bourbon prizes.

We look forward to seeing your tweets and wish you all the best as we bring Bourbon Heritage Month to a fantastic close.

Cheers!

Comments { 0 }