J. T. S. Brown Bottled in Bond Bourbon Review

J. T. S. Brown Bottled in Bond Bourbon Review

Welcome to a new tasting series on lower shelf bourbons. Bourbon & Banter contributor, Thomas Fondano, will be trying out and commenting on bourbons priced under $20. Knowing that not all sub-$20 bourbons will be great, Thomas will be adding a new category to our standard tasting notes – Straight, Old Fashioned or Manhattan  – to see whether a classic cocktail improves on a straight tasting. We hope you enjoy this new series of reviews and hope you’ll help us shape future reviews by letting us know in the comments what sub-$20 bourbon you’d like us to review next.

“Preacher! Go on down and get me some bourbon. J. T. S. Brown. No ice, no glass.”
- Paul Newman as Eddie Felson, The Hustler

I’d noticed J. T. S. Brown sitting on the bottom shelf of my favorite local liquor store and couldn’t figure out why it sounded familiar. After a little research, I went back and bought a bottle. That quote right there is a good enough reason for me to try a bourbon. Also, I’m a sucker for bonded whiskeys that look like their label hasn’t changed in 40 years.

J. T. S. Brown Bottled in Bond Bourbon ReviewBourbon Name:
  J. T. S. Brown Bottled in Bond

Proof: 100

Age: NAS – No Age Statement

Year:  2014

How I Drank It:  Neat, in Glencairn whiskey glass.

My Nose Noticed:*  Caramel Sweetness | Corn

First Sip:  Spicy | Oily | Grassy | Slightly Medicinal

The Burn:**  A lingering finish with an enjoyable Atomic Fireball candy burn that reminds you you’re drinking 100 proof bourbon.

Neat, Splash or Rocks:  A splash of water opens up the sweetness and eases the burn a bit too much for me. If rocks is your thing, it’ll work too. Personally, I find this enjoyable neat.

Straight, Old Fashioned or Manhattan: Drink this one straight! The Old Fashioned will come out okay if you half your normal amount of sugar. The Manhattan was cloying like someone added the liquid from a jar of cheap maraschino cherries, which I did not.

Share With: Friends who like bonded bourbons.

Worth The Price:  At $13.75, yes. It’s a sturdy sipper.

Bottle, Bar or Bust: Bottle, though if you manage to find it in a bar it would pair nicely with a beer. While I can’t fully endorse Mr. Felson’s drinking style, J. T. S. Brown Bottled in Bond is an enjoyable budget whiskey.

*I like to let my bourbon sit in the glass for at least 5 minutes before I start to smell it or have a drink. I personally find that it’s better to let some of the alcohol waft off before diving in. If I’m drinking bourbon on the rocks I skip the waiting and dive in both feet first.
**Some of you refer to this as the “finish” but let’s be honest. Don’t we all just want to know if it burns good?

Comments { 0 }

Happy 4th of July

Happy 4th of July

Comments { 0 }

Let’s Celebrate American Ingenuity

For many of us today will be the last day in the office for the July 4th weekend. To help bring in the holiday with a “bang” we’re having a little video fun talking about American ingenuity and how it relates to what we love the most – BOURBON. We invite you to check out the above video and then enter our giveaway as detailed below.  Continue Reading →

Comments { 0 }

New Riff Distillery Opens in Newport Kentucky

New Riff Distillery Opens in Newport Kentucky

At the end of May I got to attend a media sneak peek at the newly opened New Riff Distillery. As it was being constructed, I could tell it was going to be a beautiful facility with a lot of serious investment behind it. During my visit I spent the afternoon talking with the production manager, Jay Erisman, learning about the research, planning, and science that has gone into creating New Riff. Ever since that day and other events I attended since then, I am firmly convinced that this will be a world-class distillery and treasure for local whiskey lovers. Continue Reading →

Comments { 0 }