Exploring Ruth’s Chris Sizzle, Swizzle & Swirl Happy Hour

Exploring Ruths Chris Sizzle, Swizzle & Swirl Happy Hour

As hard as I’ve tried ,I just can’t seem to live on bourbon alone. I always wind up craving something a little more solid to fuel my days, while bourbon fuels my nights. And through rigorous testing, as well as trial and error, I’ve found that steak is by the far the best addition to a bourbon diet. It’s as if they were made to go together – like peanut butter and jelly, a Moon pie and RC cola, bacon and…well, everything! You get what I mean.

When ALIVE Magazine and Ruth’s Chris invited me to try out Ruth’s Chris new Sizzle, Swizzle & Swirl Happy Hour menu with other St. Louis food and drink bloggers, I jumped at the opportunity. After all, it would be rude to turn down an invitation to drinks and dinner. And so this past Thursday night I found myself at Ruth’s Chris downtown location with several other local bloggers excited to see what their new menu had to offer. Continue Reading →

Comments { 0 }

Reality About Carbs In Bourbon

Reality About Carbs In Bourbon

Stumbled across this infographic from WineFolly.com a few weeks ago and thought everyone might enjoy having it as a reference next time you want to defend the health benefits of drinking bourbon.

Bourbon, as well as most spirits, have very few carbs unless you decide to drink them as a part of a cocktail that contains a lot of sugar. So next time someone starts giving you shit about drinking whiskey and being unhealthy you can whip out this chart right before you un-friend them in real life.  Cheers!

Comments { 0 }

Jim Beam Signature Craft Quarter Cask Finished Bourbon Review

Jim Beam Signature Craft Quarter Cask Finished Bourbon Review

Disclaimer: A sample of Jim Beam Signature Craft Quarter Cask bourbon was provided to me by Jim Beam for this review. I appreciate their willingness to allow Bourbon & Banter to review the bourbon with no strings attached. Thank you.

Last year Jim Beam released a new line of bourbons called Jim Beam Signature Craft. The only permanent expression in this line was also the first release – Jim Beam Signature Craft 12-Year Bourbon. At the same time they also released Jim Beam Signature Craft Bourbon Finished with Rare Spanish Brandy which was the first of a limited release series of small batch bourbons in the Signature Craft line that are to be released annually.

This year’s limited release, Jim Beam Signature Craft Quarter Cask Finished, is scheduled for release in September and but we’re thrilled to have a sample provided to us by Jim Beam for early review. Continue Reading →

Comments { 0 }

J. T. S. Brown Bottled in Bond Bourbon Review

J. T. S. Brown Bottled in Bond Bourbon Review

Welcome to a new tasting series on lower shelf bourbons. Bourbon & Banter contributor, Thomas Fondano, will be trying out and commenting on bourbons priced under $20. Knowing that not all sub-$20 bourbons will be great, Thomas will be adding a new category to our standard tasting notes – Straight, Old Fashioned or Manhattan  – to see whether a classic cocktail improves on a straight tasting. We hope you enjoy this new series of reviews and hope you’ll help us shape future reviews by letting us know in the comments what sub-$20 bourbon you’d like us to review next.

“Preacher! Go on down and get me some bourbon. J. T. S. Brown. No ice, no glass.”
- Paul Newman as Eddie Felson, The Hustler

I’d noticed J. T. S. Brown sitting on the bottom shelf of my favorite local liquor store and couldn’t figure out why it sounded familiar. After a little research, I went back and bought a bottle. That quote right there is a good enough reason for me to try a bourbon. Also, I’m a sucker for bonded whiskeys that look like their label hasn’t changed in 40 years.

J. T. S. Brown Bottled in Bond Bourbon ReviewBourbon Name:
  J. T. S. Brown Bottled in Bond

Proof: 100

Age: NAS – No Age Statement

Year:  2014

How I Drank It:  Neat, in Glencairn whiskey glass.

My Nose Noticed:*  Caramel Sweetness | Corn

First Sip:  Spicy | Oily | Grassy | Slightly Medicinal

The Burn:**  A lingering finish with an enjoyable Atomic Fireball candy burn that reminds you you’re drinking 100 proof bourbon.

Neat, Splash or Rocks:  A splash of water opens up the sweetness and eases the burn a bit too much for me. If rocks is your thing, it’ll work too. Personally, I find this enjoyable neat.

Straight, Old Fashioned or Manhattan: Drink this one straight! The Old Fashioned will come out okay if you half your normal amount of sugar. The Manhattan was cloying like someone added the liquid from a jar of cheap maraschino cherries, which I did not.

Share With: Friends who like bonded bourbons.

Worth The Price:  At $13.75, yes. It’s a sturdy sipper.

Bottle, Bar or Bust: Bottle, though if you manage to find it in a bar it would pair nicely with a beer. While I can’t fully endorse Mr. Felson’s drinking style, J. T. S. Brown Bottled in Bond is an enjoyable budget whiskey.

*I like to let my bourbon sit in the glass for at least 5 minutes before I start to smell it or have a drink. I personally find that it’s better to let some of the alcohol waft off before diving in. If I’m drinking bourbon on the rocks I skip the waiting and dive in both feet first.
**Some of you refer to this as the “finish” but let’s be honest. Don’t we all just want to know if it burns good?

Comments { 0 }