Meet The Bourbon & Banter Team

A little over 2 months ago I wrote a blog post entitled “Help Wanted: Seeking Bourbon Evangelists” and posted it here on Bourbon & Banter. I was looking for fellow bourbon lovers to help me write content for the blog and help spread the bourbon gospel over social media. I remember pressing “Publish” on the post and hoping that I would get at least 1-2 people willing to lend a hand.

You can imagine my surprise when 35+ people raised their hands expressing interest in becoming part of Bourbon & Banter. I was beyond thrilled. In fact, I was little humbled.

Over the course of several weeks I put everyone through their paces by having them answer detailed questions about their bourbon history, reasons for wanting to write and topics they were interested in focusing on. I eventually narrowed it down to 12 people, who were then asked to write a guest post for the blog. (View all the initial Guest Posts.) Unfortunately for me,  all of the guests posts were really well done and readers seemed to respond positively to all of them. What I mean by “unfortunately” is that it was going to make it really hard to pick just a handful of folks to join the Bourbon & Banter team.

So after another week of reviewing the posts in more detail, analyzing reader feedback, shares across social media and more than a few glasses of bourbon I made the decision to ask each of them to become part of our team.

Therefore, without any further banter, I’m pleased to introduce you to the new Bourbon & Banter Contributors.

Meet The Bourbon & Banter Team

As we head into Bourbon Heritage month tomorrow the team will be bringing you more of the bourbon content you love but with a wider perspective. Please check out each members’ bio and connect with them on Twitter over on our Meet The Bourbon & Banter Team section of the website.

I’m thrilled to have them on our team and look forward to working together to spread the bourbon gospel.

Comments { 0 }

Big House Bourbon Review

Big House Bourbon Review

Big House Bourbon – Whisky for those on the inside.

Wow, what a great name and tagline. As a marketing professional I have to admit that I was immediately impressed with the branding of Big House bourbon and the quality of their materials. As a non-distiller producer of bourbon, Big House bourbon definitely has their work cut out for them when it comes to wining over the hearts and minds of American bourbon drinkers. It’s a good thing that they’ve come to the party with dressed to impress. Question is though, do they have what it takes on the inside to earn a space on the shelves of bars and homes across the country?

In addition to their branding one of the first things I noticed about Big House bourbon was their honesty when it came to where their juice was sourced. As a non-distiller producer they could have easily dodged the question and left everyone guessing. Instead they chose to announce upfront where their bourbon comes from and provide details of exactly what goes into each bottle. Here’s the details from their website:

Big House Bourbon is sourced to our specifications from Lawrenceburg Distillers which is located on a 78-acre property near the Indiana-Kentucky border. The historic distillery was built in 1847 as the Rossville Distillery, and is perhaps most notable for having been the main distillery for Seagram’s for a considerable length of its history.

See what I mean? No question about where they get their bourbon. Major points in my book for the upfront transparency. And by the way, they clearly state that their bourbon mash bill is comprised of 60% corn, 35% rye and 5% malted barley. If you’re a fan of rye-forward bourbons this one might just be of interest to you.  Continue Reading →

Comments { 0 }

Kentucky Tavern Bourbon Ad Circa 1950

For some people change doesn’t come easy. If you’re one of those folks I’d like to offer my apologies. As of today we’re going to shift our schedule for posting vintage bourbon advertisements. Instead of posting them on Friday we’re moving to Thursdays. We’re making the change for two reasons.

The first reason is tied to larger changes we’re making to the site as part of adding new blog contributors to the Bourbon & Banter family. The addition of new writers means more content that requires changes to when and how we post things.

The second reason is to better take advantage of the larger “Throwback Thursday” movement that’s happening online. We hope to get more people talking about our vintage ads and as a result, spread the bourbon gospel to those we don’t normally reach.

As our first official Throwback Thursday ad we’re featuring this classic 1950 Kentucky Tavern bourbon ad that appeared in the July edition of Holiday Magazine.

I’d love to know more about the reason behind using a TV station call sign theme. (KTAM-TV)  Anyone have details they can share?

Kentucky Tavern Bourbon Ad Circa 1950

Comments { 0 }

Great American Whiskey Fair

Great American Whiskey Fair

If you live in the Columbia, SC area or plan on traveling through the area on October 17th you need to add this event to your schedule. Per the event’s website:

On the evening of October 17th, a host of distilling luminaries, small producers, bartenders and enthusiasts will descend on the Grand Hall at 701 Whaley St. for an evening of festive appreciation dedicated to America’s native spirit and its culture, from cask to glass. The evening will include:

  • The finest collection of American Spirits the Palmetto state has ever seen – under one roof, for one evening only!
  • Exotic Cajun and Creole fare from beyond the Mississippi, made available from the fine kitchens of Bourbon.
  • VIP Tickets for some lucky souls, private tastings, intimate discussions, and an after party hosted by the fine people at Bourbon - the capital city’s newest fine dining watering hole.

You can get more details and purchase tickets on their website – The Great American Whiskey Fair.

Comments { 0 }