Honey and Spice…Deliciously Nice!

Regardless of where you are in the country, old man winter has definitely settled in and seems to be getting cozy.  And my only answer to that is to retreat inside with something to warm you up.  I’m usually a “purist” and have steered clear of the flavored bourbons entirely, however lately, I’ve found myself reaching for the flavored bourbons as my go-to drink of choice.  They add a little bit of pop to drinks that goes great in chasing away those Winter “blahs.”

The two bourbon’s I’m using in this cocktail are delicious on their own, but very good in cocktails, especially this time of year.

The Wild Turkey Spiced offers hints of cinnamon, clove and vanilla bean add a subtle spice to the bourbon, without overpowering Wild Turkey’s renowned robust flavor.  I’ve tried the Spiced a variety of ways, and haven’t found one that I didn’t fall in love with.  Its fabulous on its own, in hot cocoa, in cola, and in a variety of cocktails.

The Jim Beam Honey has very subtle hints of honey–balanced, but still subtle–giving it a sweetness that you would expect from a Jim Beam product.  I prefer it as a mixer, rather than neat or on the rocks.  It works well in tandem with the spices from the Wild Turkey Spiced to warm the drink up just a bit.

This has quickly become one of my favorite Winter cocktails–hopefully it will put a little spice in your soul and some warmth in your cheeks!

Honey and Spice Cocktail PhotoHoney & Spice

  • 1 oz Wild Turkey Spiced
  • 1 oz Jim Beam Honey
  • 1 oz pineapple juice
  • 1 oz orange juice
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • Ice

Combine ingredients into a cocktail shaker, filled with ice.  Shake and strain into a chilled glass.  If you prefer a stronger cinnamon taste, you can sprinkle in some ground cinnamon or gently grate the cinnamon stick.  Grating the cinnamon stick will provide a great addition to your drink and will open up the flavor a bit as it soaks in your drink.  Garnish with the cinnamon stick and enjoy!

The great thing about this cocktail is that it can be served warm, as well.  Simply warm up the pineapple and orange juice with a little bit of water (instead of the ice) and mix in with the honey and bourbon.  Pour into your favorite mug (I guarantee it is better than coffee!)  Stir with the cinnamon stick.  I can already feel your troubles slowly melting away!

Comments { 0 }

San Antonio Cocktail Conference: Opening Night Party

The 2014 San Antonio Cocktail Conference kicked off last night with an epic cocktail party. At the historic and ornately decorated Majestic Theater in downtown San Antonio you could find three floors of elaborate cocktails as well as food from local restaurants being served in every corner. I was joined by hundreds of other cocktail lovers as we all explored this wonderland of drinks. And it really did feel magical. Just when I thought I had seen it all, I would turn a corner or open a door and find more to discover. Knob Creek and Old Forrester were there to represent bourbon lovers, as well as a few new craft whiskeys like Hudson and Clyde May’s. Not as much bourbon as I hoped but all of the bartenders were very nice about allowing me to taste their whiskeys neat before I tried the cocktails so I did get in a little bourbon tasting. There really aren’t words to fully describe it though so I will leave you with pictures, but I will say that if this was just opening night I can’t wait to see what the rest of the conference is like.

Comments { 0 }

Ready for Bourbon & Banter at the San Antonio Cocktail Conference?

San Antonio Cocktail Conference 2014 PhotoI am very excited to announce….ok I take that back. Excited doesn’t even begin to cover it. I am ecstatic beyond belief to announce that Erin Petrey and I will be attending the San Antonio Cocktail Conference this coming holiday weekend and doing our best to cover all things bourbon and whiskey related for Bourbon & Banter. This is the third year for the conference, which is the first of its kind in Texas. These kinds of events draw bar owners, mixologists, liquor reps, writers, as well as regular people who are just passionate about cocktails.

Modeled on the wildly popular Manhattan Cocktail Classic and New Orleans’ Tales of the Cocktail event,  San Antonio’s own Cocktail Conference was the first of its kind in Texas. Every year, we bring together top bartenders and cocktail aficionados for four days of educational seminars, guided tastings and cocktail parties.  Conference proceeds benefit HeartGift San Antonio and ChildSafe.

The classes read like my dream college schedule and I know Erin has some great ones picked out as well. We are both especially looking  forward to Evolution of Barrel Aging with Wes Henderson of Angel’s Envy, as well as Women Behind Bars: A Spirited History of Women in the Cocktail World and Cocktail Branches: How We Got From Here to There. Every night there are tastings, parties, and of course the whole beautiful city of San Antonio to explore as well. The special event I am most looking forward to is the Opening Night Party at the beautiful Majestic Theater but I have also been advised by Chris Mac to not miss out on the 80’s themed after party sponsored by The 86 Co. Erin is hoping to report back from Texas Spirits Night, which involves cocktails, food, and a barge ride so I hope to be there as well.

Erin and I look forward to bringing you ongoing pictures and coverage of the event, as well as a few in-depth pieces with new spirits and books to review and information on bourbon-related cocktails trends you will be seeing soon at your favorite bar. Not to mention all the stories we will have to share.  Be sure to follow Bourbon & Banter, Erin, and me (Ginny Tonic) on twitter to see the whole crazy weekend unfold in real-time.

Hopefully not too crazy though. Didn’t think I would have a chance to test out my whiskey festival advice again so soon.

Comments { 0 }

Jim Beam Single Barrel Bourbon Review

Jim Beam Single Barrel Bourbon Photo

It’s amazing what can happen overnight.  I recorded our Jim Beam Single Barrel bourbon review on Sunday night, January 12th, and went to bed thinking about the long history of the Jim Beam brand and how they’ve worked hard over the years to bring American bourbon everyone around the world. I then woke up on Monday morning to the news that Suntory was purchasing Beam for an estimated $16 billion dollars. Holy crap!

Continue Reading →

Comments { 1 }