Filson Bourbon Academy Comes To St. Louis

Filson Bourbon Academy Comes To St. Louis

It’s with great excitement that Bourbon & Banter announces that author and historian, Mike Veach, will be bringing his Bourbon Academy seminar to St. Louis, MO on November 9, 2013. Ever since we learned that Mike Veach was taking his Bourbon Academy on the road we wanted to get him to town. We’re pleased that we were able to convince Mike to visit St. Louis and help us spread the bourbon gospel in our hometown.

We’ve partnered with the soon to be opening Gamlin Whiskey House to host the event and look forward to spending the day learning about whiskey with other like-minded folks from the St. Louis area. Here’s all the details you need to know.

Filson Bourbon Academy with author & historian Michael Veach

Saturday, November 9th, 9-5pm at the Gamlin Whiskey House, St. Louis

The Filson Bourbon Academy  answers every question you ever had about the native spirit of the United States, but were afraid to ask.

  • “Was there any one person that invented Bourbon?”
  • “Why did rye whiskey fall out of favor until recently?”
  • “Where did Bourbon REALLY get it’s name?”
  • “How did whiskey end up aging in wood?”
  • “What makes an American whiskey a Bourbon?”
  • “What whiskeys were still being made during Prohibition?”

Come enhance your appreciation of Bourbon and increase your knowledge of Kentucky whiskey products at the Filson Bourbon Academy . This class is supported by the Kentucky Distillers Association and the Louisville Convention and Visitors Bureau. The Academy offers licensed bartenders and servers working in the hospitality industry, as well as interested connoisseurs, a firm background in Kentucky’s native spirit.

This eight hour course will consist of lectures & stories pertaining to the history of Bourbon in Kentucky, as well as Bourbon tastings.

Topics to be addressed include:

  • “Farmer Distillers and the Birth of Bourbon”
  • “Bourbon and the Industrial Revolution”
  • “The Early 20th Century and Prohibition”
  • “Post-Prohibition and the Modern Era of Bourbon”

Filson Bourbon Academy Comes To St. LouisJoin Michael Veach, former archivist for the legendary Stitzel-Weller Distillery and the Filson Historical Society in Louisville, KY , a recent inductee into the Bourbon Hall of Fame and author of the new bestselling book “Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey: An American Heritage” as he answers any & all questions about the true American spirit, in a condensed 8-hour version of his 4-week long Filson Bourbon Academy on the History of American Whiskey on Saturday, November 9th, from 9 AM-5 PM at the Gamlin Whiskey House, 236 N. Euclid, St. Louis, MO 63108.

Mr. Veach will also be signing copies of his book which will be available for purchase!

Tuition is $200 and all proceeds go to benefit the non-for-profit Filson Historical Society. This price includes a light breakfast offering and a plated lunch for each participant

All attendees completing the course will be certified as a member of the Filson Bourbon Academy and made honorary members of the Kentucky Bourbon Trail.

Attendance is extremely limited so sign-up quickly.

You must be at least 21 years of age to enroll.

Purchase Bourbon Academy Tickets

Supported By:

  • The Kentucky Bourbon Trail
  • Kentucky Distillers’ Association
  • The Filson Historical Society

St. Louis Event Sponsors and Hosts:

  • Bourbon & Banter
  • Gamlin Whiskey House

Comments { 0 }

Friday The 13th – Don’t Drink Alone

Friday The 13th – Dont Drink Alone

Comments { 0 }

Bourbon Cocktails In 1964

Bourbon Cocktails In 1964

1964 was an interesting year for Americans. Lyndon B. Johnson was the president, millions of people attended the mid-century marvel, the New York Worlds Fair, and Bourbon was legally declared “a distinctive product of the United States”. This was big news and cemented Bourbon’s status years later as “America’s Native Spirit”.

Americans in the mid-60s had fully embraced cocktail culture and over-the-top home entertaining was in style. The Southern Comfort “Barmate” publication, distributed with the November 1964 issue of Playboy, is a fine example of the recipes of the time. Although it’s a booklet made to introduce people to this whiskey-flavored liqueur, there are some “regular” recipes as well. I based my cocktail on the “Regular Old Fashioned”.

Old Fashioned

Muddle together one sugar cube with 3 dashes of Angostura bitters and a splash of water.

Add ice and 2 oz. of Bourbon. I used Woodford Reserve.

Garnish with a slice of orange and maraschino cherries. (lemon twist optional)

There are many variations of Old Fashioneds, including those that muddle the fruit along with the sugar and bitters. The correct way to make one is a subject of much debate and I usually tend toward the simpler, fruitless type. But hey, we’re talking about the 60s here, and a well-garnished Old Fashioned was a very stylish drink.

Another bourbon cocktail that deserves your attention is the Mint Julep. This classic American cocktail was also popular in the 60s and has roots as old as America itself.

Mint Julep

Muddle 8-10 mint or spearmint leaves with a tsp. of sugar and a dash of water. Add 2 oz. of bourbon and stir. Fill the cup (preferably metal) with crushed ice and serve when the cup is frosted.

If you’re looking for some period snacks to go with your cocktails, I’d suggest taking a look at this pamphlet from the New York Worlds Fair. You really can’t go wrong with Hot Doggities! Bourbon Cocktails In 1964

Comments { 0 }

Boozy Bourbon Cupcakes: The Perfect Addition to Any Celebration

Boozy Bourbon Cupcakes: The Perfect Addition to Any Celebration Though I enjoy drinking Bourbon on all occasions – even when there isn’t quite an occasion to drink for – to me, Bourbon holds a special celebratory quality. Every Christmas, my family whips up large batches of homemade eggnog, generously laced with Bourbon (we also add rum, but that is a story for another time). Come the first Saturday in May, we find our Julep cups brimming with mint-infused Bourbon cocktails. On every birthday, a shot (or many) is ordered for the birthday girl or guy. So when tasked with baking cupcakes for a dear friend’s birthday party, I thought: how can I make these cupcakes even more delicious and celebration-worthy? The obvious answer: Just add Bourbon.

 The great thing about this recipe (besides the fact that it prominently features our favorite brown liquor) is that it is exceedingly simples but the presentation makes it seem otherwise. For the cake, you can go 2 routes: homemade cake or cake mix. I will not judge you either way, so I will give you instructions for both the shortcut and the long way around.

NOTE: When “Bourbon” is mentioned, I used Maker’s Mark, as it is a wheated Bourbon – great flavor to cook with.

Cake Mix

I suggest using Duncan Hines yellow cake mix. Prepare batter as directed on the box, except instead of using 1 cup of water, use 3/4 cup of water and 1/4 cup of Bourbon. Bake as directed.

The Long Way

  • 1 cup butter (softened)
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup Bourbon
  • 8 egg yolks
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (I prefer Bourbon vanilla, obviously)
  • 2 cups cake flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt (optional)
  1. Preheat oven to 350o. Prepare cupcake tins with cupcake liners.
  2. Sift flour, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl. Set aside.
  3. Cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg yolks. Stir in vanilla extract.
  4. Combine Bourbon and milk.
  5. Beat the flour mix and Bourbon-milk together, alternating between the two. Mix until all is blended together.
  6. Fill each cupcake paper 2/3 full with batter. NOTE: I used both regular and mini cupcake tins.
  7. Bake for 25-30 minutes (or until a toothpick comes out clean).
  8. Set aside to cool and await the glorious Bourbon Buttercream!

Once you have your cupcakes ready, it is time for the most delicious part: Bourbon Buttercream.

Buttercream is the best icing, as it is flavorful and amazingly easy to make:

Bourbon Buttercream Icing

  • 1 cup butter (softened)
  • 3 cups confectioners’ (powdered) sugar
  • 2 tsp Bourbon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 shot Bourbon
  • Cocoa powder (optional  and as needed to add color)
  1. Using a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, cream together sugar and butter.
  2. Add vanilla extract and cocoa powder (to color) until mixed thoroughly. Use only a light amount of cocoa powder to yield a rich Bourbon color.
  3. Pour in Bourbon to taste. NOTE: I prefer my buttercream with a stronger Bourbon flavor. I encourage you to play with this until the right amount of Bourbon flavor is reacher. If you overpour, just correct by adding a bit more sugar and butter.

Putting It All Together

Once the cupcakes are cooled, generously spread the Bourbon buttercream over the top of the cakes. Garnish with a whole pecan. Voila! Boozy Bourbon cupcakes that will be sure to complement any celebration. Cheers!

Comments { 0 }