When It Comes To Bourbon, Never Assume

We’ve all heard the saying, “You know what happens when you assume….”; I doubt I need to complete that statement.

I recently took my girlfriend out to dinner at a very nice restaurant. Not “black tie nice”, but not somewhere you’d feel comfortable wearing a muscle shirt and board shorts. Anyways, the restaurant had a decent selection of small batch bourbons, including Pritchard’s Double Barrel Bourbon. The store I work at has had issues keeping Pritchard’s in stock and I hadn’t had a glass of their Double Barrel in over a year, so I went ahead and ordered a glass.

And I assumed.

Our waitress was great. She knew the menu front to back, was very knowledgeable about the wine selection and even recommended a few summer cocktails.

But I still assumed.

When I ordered my bourbon neat, our waitress asked if I’d like anything with it. I assumed she meant a splash of water or maybe a glass of ice on the side, so I simply said “neat”. She said “okay” and walked away. I assumed she knew the difference between neat, a splash of water and on the rocks.

I was wrong.

About 5 minutes later she set a drink in front of me that was filled to the brim with ice. I saw my girlfriend’s face and waved her off, because other than this, our waitress was great. Besides, if I did return the drink it’d just be a waste. I’ve actually seen bartenders throw out drinks that were made improperly. I get it if it’s a cheap drink, but not a glass of bourbon, and definitely not one of Pritchard’s quality. So I chose to drink my bourbon before it was too watered-down. Our waitress came back and asked if I’d like another, but this time I dropped the technical phrasing and simply said, “Yes, but no ice.”

Fast-forward a few weeks and I’m with some friends at T.G.I.Friday’s, and the drinks are flowing. Towards the end of our meal I ordered a round of a certain Tennessee Whiskey (this particular location only had one bourbon in stock and I prefer any Tennessee Whiskey to that brand of bourbon), and to my shock our 18-year old waitress asked if I preferred neat or on the rocks! Without missing a beat my buddy Knox told her she’d earned her tip with that one question.

The moral of this story is simple: don’t assume everyone knows what you know, even when it is something you consider basic. Having worked in the service industry I can tell you that as long as you are polite, waiters, waitresses and bartenders would rather have you be clear and concise as to what you want and how you want it, as opposed to finding out they did it wrong after the fact.

Comments { 0 }

September Bourbon Wallpaper

Since we’re celebrating National Bourbon Heritage Month in September we decided to create a special bourbon wallpaper featuring some of our favorite bourbons. It’s a bit different from previous bourbon wallpaper’s but we think it’s the perfect fit for our month-long celebration of all things bourbon. Let us know if you can identify each of the bourbon bottle silhouettes featured in this month’s wallpaper.

Click on the image below for a larger version and then save to your computer in a convenient location. Then follow your operating system’s instructions for how to use it as your desktop wallpaper. Then your done and on your way to impressing your friends with your new computer artwork.

If you like this month’s wallpaper you might want to check out our previous installments as well - 12 Months of Bourbon Wallpaper. Check back in October when we have another ready for download.

September Bourbon Wallpaper

PS – Please spread the word about our September Bourbon Wallpaper. The more people we get using them the easier it is to spread the Bourbon gospel.

Comments { 0 }

Bourbon Heritage Month Sweepstakes

Bourbon Heritage Month Sweepstakes

We’re excited to kick-off Day 2 of Bourbon Heritage Month by announcing our month-long Facebook sweepstakes.

Throughout the month of September we’ll be giving away bourbon-themed gift paks for every new 200 page ‘likes’ that we receive on Facebook. All you have to do is head over to our Facebook page, ‘like’ us if you haven’t already, and then submit your name and email address. Nothing else is required to enter. However, the sooner we add 200 new fans, the sooner we give away free stuff so make sure that you spread the word and invite your friends to enter as well. You need only enter once and you’ll be eligible to win each time we reach 200 new ‘likes’. If we reach 6,500 total Facebook fans by September 30, 2013 one lucky fan will win a half-price ticket to the 2014 Bourbon & Banter Pilgrimage.

But wait…that’s not all. At the end of September we’ll draw one additional winner who will receive (2) two free bourbon trail tour tickets from our friends over at Mint Julep Tours.

In total, Bourbon & Banter will be giving away up to 14 prizes via our Facebook Sweepstakes during Bourbon Heritage Month. Make sure to head on over to our Facebook page and enter today!

Enter the Bourbon Heritage Month Facebook Sweepstakes

Special thanks to our industry friends for joining us in making Bourbon Heritage Month extra special this year.

Bourbon Heritage Month Sweepstakes

PS – For those Bourbon & Banter readers who don’t use Facebook don’t worry. We’ll be running some giveaways and promotions on Twitter and Instagram as well this month. Stay tuned for more information soon.

Comments { 0 }

Bourbon Heritage Month Celebration

Bourbon Heritage Month Celebration

Welcome to the most amazing month of the year – National Bourbon Heritage Month

I know many folks think that Bourbon Heritage Month is one of the those made-up holidays like National French Fry Day or International Hula Hoop Day but it’s not. Per Wikipedia, which is never wrong ;)…

National Bourbon Heritage Month is an observance in the United States that calls for celebration of bourbon as America’s “Native Spirit”. On August 2, 2007, the US Senate declared September 2007 as “National Bourbon Heritage Month.” The bill, sponsored by Republican Senator Jim Bunning of Kentucky, passed by unanimous consent. The resolution calls for consumers who enjoy bourbon to do so responsibly and in moderation. The bill reinforces the 1964 Act of Congress that declared bourbon “America’s Native Spirit” by celebrating the family heritage, tradition and deep-rooted legacy that the bourbon industry contributes to the United States.

You see? It’s a bonafide month-long celebration of bourbon. I honestly can’t think of a better holiday.

Seeing that Bourbon Heritage Month is our favorite holiday we’ve decided that we need to host a month-long party featuring lots of great blog posts, cool contests and great giveaways. Supported by recently expanded Bourbon & Banter team and leading industry bourbon brands and partners, we’re ready to turn the Bourbon Evangelizer up to 11 and spread the bourbon gospel far and wide.

We’re not going to tell you all the great stuff we have in store but here’s quick teaser:

  • Bourbon Schwag Gift Paks featuring items like glasses, hats, shirts and more from your favorite bourbon brands.
  • Bourbon Trail Tours – Yep, you could win 1 of 4 free bourbon tours from our friends at Mint Julep Tours.
  • Food – What goes great with bourbon? Food. And nothing is better than food made with bourbon.
  • Art – Screw Monet and Picasso. Bourbon artwork is where the cool folks invest their money these days.

September is going to be crammed with some really great stuff so we’re going to use all of our online channels to runs contests and giveaways. Make sure that you’re following us on all of our social media channels so you don’t miss a chance to win something really cool. Click on any of the images below to connect with us online and make sure you’ll always be in the loop on what we’ve got going on in September.

Bourbon Heritage Month Celebration   Bourbon Heritage Month Celebration    Bourbon Heritage Month Celebration   Bourbon Heritage Month Celebration   Bourbon Heritage Month Celebration

We’re kicking things off tomorrow with the announcement of our month-long sweepstakes. Make sure to check back in and get all of the details.

Until then I’d like to give a quick shout out to some of the brands and partners who helping us to make Bourbon Heritage Month a month to remember.

Bulleit Bourbon
Willet Distillery
Mint Julep Tours
Art Eatables