Boardwalk Empire Cocktail Recipes

Our friends over at Original Penguin teamed up with the folks at MOJO bar in Leeds to create create three prohibition-inspired cocktails to celebrate the return of Boardwalk Empire. Here’s the story.

Anyone who has watched Boardwalk Empire will have noticed how the show’s lead characters enjoy a cocktail or two to help unwind from all the drama going on around them. To celebrate the return of the fourth series of the hit HBO show, heritage clothing brand Original Penguin has produced three extra-special cocktails for people to enjoy in moderation as they watch the latest series.

These three “new” cocktails were created with the help of Adam Wilson, head bartender at the award-winning MOJO bar in Leeds. Utilising popular spirits and flavour combinations of the time, each one is designed to transport those who enjoy them to the world of Nucky Thompson, Chalky White and Al Capone – without the excessive violence, of course.

“The Seasoned Professional” is an interesting mixture of gin, fortified wine and Grand Marnier with fiery and sharp notes provided by black pepper and Bob’s Abbott’s Bitters. Meanwhile, “Lost in Translation” takes the classic combination of malt whiskey and ginger and gives it a tropical twist with the addition of palm sugar and citric acid. Finally, “Capone’s Southside” takes the classic Southside cocktail and swaps out the traditional gin or white rum for bourbon, creating a mix fit for the world’s most famous gangster.

Continue Reading →

Comments { 0 }

October Bourbon Wallpaper

A month or so ago I was exploring some ideas for a new bourbon wallpaper and I put together a bottle montage using a sketch technique when my wife walked in and mentioned how much she liked it. After a little bit of tweaking I’m pleased to finally offer it up for everyone’s enjoyment and use. I hope you guys enjoy it!

Click on the image below for a larger version and then save to your computer in a convenient location. Then follow your operating system’s instructions for how to use it as your desktop wallpaper. Then your done and on your way to impressing your friends with your new computer artwork.

If you like this month’s wallpaper you might want to check out our previous installments as well – 12 Months of Bourbon Wallpaper. Check back in November when we have another ready for download.

October Bourbon Wallpaper

PS – Please spread the word about our  October Bourbon Wallpaper. The more people we get using them the easier it is to spread the Bourbon gospel.

Comments { 0 }

Oh, What A Bourbon Heritage Month!

Oh, What A Bourbon Heritage Month!

Where has the time gone? It’s seems like only yesterday that we kicked off Bourbon Heritage Month by launching our Bourbon Sweepstakes. It’s been an amazing 30 days filled with posts about the history of bourbon, bourbon education, cocktail recipes, giveaways and much more. I hope everyone’s enjoyed this month’s posts as much as we’ve enjoyed writing them for you.

I’d like to give a big shout out to my new Bourbon & Banter contributors who did a fantastic job their first month providing content for the blog. You guys rock!

And now that Bourbon Heritage Month is over I thought I’d recap all of the folks who were chosen as winners of our different giveaways and promotions.

Bourbon Heritage Month Sweepstakes Grand Prize Winner
Bourbon Trail Tour for 2 & XL Bourbon Schwag Pak

  •  Pam Jones

Bourbon Schwag Pak Winners

  • Heather Pollitt
  • Douglas Eden
  • Katie Thompson
  • Jim Mansfield
  • Mike Harden
  • Suzette Kettenhofen
  • Stephen C. Schulte

Art Eatables Bourbon Chocolate Truffle Winners

  • Lindsay Itzkowitz
  • Matthew Erpelding

Bourbon & Banter Barrel iPhone Skin

  • Renae Rachelle dePerio

Mint Julep Bourbon Trail Tours

  • Joe Campobasso
  • Grant Shepherd
  • Pam Jones (Grand Prize Winner)

Don’t be sad if you didn’t win anything during Bourbon Heritage Month. Through the extreme generosity of several of your favorite bourbon brands we’ve got lots of bourbon schwag yet to giveaway. Make sure to check back often as you never know when we’re going to give something away.

Thanks again to everyone for making Bourbon Heritage Month and Bourbon & Banter such a success. I can’t wait to do this all again next year with all of you.

Cheers!

~ Pops

Comments { 0 }

Bartender Journey Podcast Interview

Bartender Journey Podcast Interview

A week ago I was interviewed on the Bartender Journey Podcast and they were kind enough to allow me to embed the podcast for your listening pleasure. If you’ve got a little time please take a listen and let me know what you think.

Comments { 0 }