View Post

Elijah Craig Small Batch Barrel Proof Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Brent JosephLeave a Comment

I was thrilled to find a bottle at my local grocery store in their specialty liquor/wine shop. I didn’t think I’d ever find a limited release at a grocery store! This isn’t my favorite Barrel Proof bourbon, but it’s a damn good one. Especially for $70 considering what some of these newer brands are asking for their juice that is either sourced or just plain terrible. I won’t be killing this in one night, it will be enjoyed with good friends and people who can appreciate what it is and it’s complex flavors.

View Post

Barrel Proof Blind Tasting

In Banter by Brent JosephLeave a Comment

A few weeks ago some of my bourbon drinking friends and I were sitting around discussing our favorite drink. I know, shocking right? We started talking about what each of our favorites was. Some preferred wheated, one liked high rye, I like a lot of barrel proofs, etc. Then we started to discuss our favorites in the specific categories that we preferred. This gave me an idea that would be perfect for a Bourbon & Banter post, A Blind Barrel Proof Tasting! What a great idea I thought, it also gave me another excuse to host a few drinking buddies over and let them give their thoughts and share the experience as well. After all, bourbon is always better when shared with friends.

View Post

Whiskey Acres Rye Review

In Rye Whiskey Reviews by Brent JosephLeave a Comment

Even though this is a younger product, it’s a solid rye option. It stands up well on its own, and I would imagine that it would go great in a cocktail. The mint adds a unique layer to it, and I’m looking forward to trying it in a Mint Julep or Kentucky Mule. Whiskey Acres has a great story and what they are doing is incredibly unique in the industry by growing, harvesting, mashing, distilling, and aging all on their family farm in Dekalb, IL. They are open for tours from April through November, so if you’re passing through the area, it could be a cool place to stop and check out. I’m always willing to try new things, and I’d love to revisit their brand once they can get a few more years on some of their product.

View Post

Whiskey Acres Bourbon Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Brent JosephLeave a Comment

This is still a pretty young product but it’s just not in my personal strike zone as far as bourbon goes. They have a great story and what they are doing is extremely unique in the bourbon world by growing, harvesting, mashing, distilling, and aging all on their family farm in Dekalb, IL. They are open for tours from April through November so if you’re passing through the area, it could be a really cool place to stop and check out. I’m always willing to try new things and I’d love to revisit their brand once they can get a few more years on some of their product.