View Post

The Lexington Bourbon Society

In On The Road by Erin PetreyLeave a Comment

  The bourbon scene in Lexington, Kentucky has always been good. Located in the center of the state, Lexington is at the crossroads of all of the great Bluegrass distilleries. (This is the main reason the barrel aging programs at Country Boy Brewing and Alltech’s Lexington Brewing and Distilling are so robust: it takes less time for those freshly emptied barrels to reach the breweries. Hardly any of the bourbon in the staves evaporates out. It all infuses right into that beer.) However, in recent years with the bourbon explosion across the country, the scene in Lexington has vastly improved. This …

View Post

A Barrel Aged Cocktail Adventure

In Banter, Cocktails by Erin PetreyLeave a Comment

  Barrel Aged Cocktails….yum! Many things make Bourbon special. Some of my fellow Kentuckians insist that it’s the Limestone bedrock that makes Kentucky water have a distinct taste. Perhaps it’s because it has a uniquely American flavor (it is America’s native spirit, after all). But whatever it is, we can all agree that Bourbon wouldn’t be Bourbon (legally or otherwise) without the beautiful process of barrel aging. The art of placing freshly-distilled spirit into a charred new oak barrel and allowing that liquor to flow in and out of the wood is what gives our favorite potent potable those beautiful caramel, …

View Post

What I Learned from the San Antonio Cocktail Conference: Cocktail Shading with Gastriques

In Events by Erin PetreyLeave a Comment

Whether a seasoned bartender or just a cocktail enthusiast (and really, who isn’t?), the San Antonio Cocktail Conference was an experience not to be missed. Not only was it lovely to escape the sub-freezing temperature of the Northeast and head down to the warmth of Texas, but it was also an opportunity to mingle with cocktail legends and have a fantastic time. Nightly parties were hosted at the many historical theatres in downtown San Antonio, boasting signature cocktails from excellent mixologists, mouth-watering samplings of San Antonio’s best restaurants, tastings featuring every type of spirit, and killer music to dance to. …

View Post

Beyond the Barrel: A Conversation with Kentucky Artist, Tess Larimore

In Banter by Erin Petrey1 Comment

It is no surprise that the Bourbon industry has enjoyed tremendous growth over the past couple of years. The enthusiasm for the Kentucky spirit has done wonderful things for the economy of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, but has also opened new doors of opportunity to others in the state. Tess Larimore, a resident of Lexington, Kentucky, saw this industry boom as her opportunity to expand a newfound love of hers: carpentry and woodworking. Always interested in reclaimed objects, especially wood, Tess began fiddling around with turning that vessel that holds the precious golden whiskey into something more than just a …

View Post

Bourbon & Banter 2013 Holiday Gift Guide

In Gear News by Erin PetreyLeave a Comment

The holiday season is fast approaching, which means our gifting lists are growing longer by the day. Fear not! Bourbon & Banter is here to provide you with ideas for holiday presents for that Bourbon lover (or prospective Bourbon lover!) in your life. We asked each of our contributors to let us know what they would like to unwrap this holiday season and put together this 2013 Holiday Gift Guide. So pour yourself a glass and get ready to some extra boozy shopping. And, as always, something from the Bourbon & Banter Shop or Barrel Proof Bourbon Print Gallery will make …

View Post

Proud Drinker: Show Off Your Love for Bourbon

In Gear Reviews by Erin PetreyLeave a Comment

Disclosure: Proud-Drinker.com provided stickers for Bourbon & Banter to review. I am sure we have all seen those cars plastered with those seemingly cryptic numbers that actually extoll the running abilities of the person behind the wheel: 13.1, 26.2, 70.3 (!!!). Runners are a proud people and like to wear markers of their physical accomplishments on their sleeves and their bumpers. But though these marathon feats are impressive, us Bourbon Evangelists are also a proud people who enjoy sharing our appreciation for that brown liquid we love. This is where Proud Drinker comes in.  The folks at Proud Drinker thought …

View Post

Celebrate National Coffee Day with Bourbon

In Banter, Cocktails by Erin PetreyLeave a Comment

It’s Sunday morning. It’s National Coffee Day. And it’s always a great day for Bourbon.  In 2009, I went on my first tour of the Buffalo Trace Distillery in Frankfort, Kentucky. It provided all of the familiar smells of mash and oak, and the tour was fascinating as always. The end of a distillery tour is a favorite of mine, as it usually features a tasting. At Buffalo Trace, we were offered the namesake Bourbon, a sampling of white dog, and something I had never seen before: Bourbon Cream. A longtime fan of Irish Cream (in coffee, especially), I was …

View Post

Boozy Bourbon Cupcakes

In Food by Erin PetreyLeave a Comment

Though I enjoy drinking Bourbon on all occasions – even when there isn’t quite an occasion to drink for – to me, Bourbon holds a special celebratory quality. Every Christmas, my family whips up large batches of homemade eggnog, generously laced with Bourbon (we also add rum, but that is a story for another time). Come the first Saturday in May, we find our Julep cups brimming with mint-infused Bourbon cocktails. On every birthday, a shot (or many) is ordered for the birthday girl or guy. So when tasked with baking cupcakes for a dear friend’s birthday party, I thought: …