View Post

How Tequila Compares to Bourbon

In Tequila News by Leave a Comment

For many of us, tequila is more associated with slamming back shots and decisions we regret the next morning than with enjoying the flavor of a fine barrel-aged spirit. But Cinco de Mayo is a great opportunity to learn more about this surprisingly complex spirit. Bourbon lovers may find that there is more that they can appreciate about tequila than you might expect.

First the basics. Tequila is made from the blue agave plant. If you think waiting for bourbon to age is a long process you should know that the blue agave plant takes 8-10 years to mature to the point where it can even be harvested. Some people like to say that tequila is aged in the plant, not in the barrel. The leaves are then stripped away, and the core is roasted and milled to begin the fermentation process. Most tequilas are distilled twice, and the best ones don’t do more than that because the product loses too much flavor.

View Post

Bourbon Classic 2016 Recap

In Events by Leave a Comment

Disclaimer: I was invited to attend the Bourbon Classic at no cost to write about it for Bourbon and Banter but I paid for my hotel, food, and travel expenses while there and this review reflects my honest opinion on the event. Thank you. The Bourbon Classic returned for its fourth year February 26th and 27th. I have been lucky enough to attend the classic for the past three years now. There have been subtle changes each year but the event remains a great time for bourbon lovers. 2016 brought back everything that made the past three years a success …

View Post

Best Reason to Brush Your Teeth? Bourbon Flavored Toothpaste

In Banter by 1 Comment

Recently my husband was touring an exhibit of Kenner Toys and other novelties with a Cincinnati connection at the Cincinnati Public Library and he sent me a picture that just about blew my mind. In the 1950’s a Cincinnati native named Don Poynter decided to top his recent success with the Jayne Mansfield shaped hot water bottle with a product to make brushing your teeth a task you look forward to: whiskey flavored toothpaste. The product contained real alcohol, a respectable 6 proof, and came in bourbon, rye, and scotch flavors. The product gained enough attention that Life Magazine did a feature …

View Post

Bourbon Classic Returns to Louisville for 2016

In Events by Leave a Comment

The Bourbon Classic, an annual bourbon and culinary celebration held in Louisville Kentucky, will return for its fourth year on February 26 – 27 at the Kentucky Center for the Performing Arts. I have greatly enjoyed attending the past two years and highly recommend it to anyone who loves bourbon, good food, and spending time learning about these things from the people who make them. The event starts Friday night with From the Barrel to the Bar: Bourbon Classic Cocktail Challenge. Teams of master bartenders will be matched with an acclaimed chef and Bourbon Classic sponsor distillery, and then vie for the title of …

View Post

11 Problems Every Bourbon Lover Understands

In Banter by Leave a Comment

There’s only a few days left in Bourbon Heritage month which undoubtedly will be causing many of you to shed a tear in sorrow this week. In an attempt to cheer you up I’ve compiled a list of 11 problems every bourbon lover understands. I hope you enjoy it and feel inclined to share it with fellow bourbon loving friends. Racing to get to a liquor store before your favorite limited release sells out Bourbon releases are hard to predict. You might have a general idea of the time a year a limited release will hit the stores but you …

View Post

What I Did Right at WhiskyFest Chicago

In Events by Leave a Comment

Well I have survived. Thank to Pops and everyone else who were praying for me to make it back relatively unscathed and with a few stories to tell. After failing miserably at my first whiskey festival I learned a few things that I applied this year, and I think I can say that the weekend was a success. Here are some of the top things that helped me make the most of my experience at WhiskyFest Chicago. 1. I downloaded the app: One of the promotional emails I received prior to the event suggested I download the WhiskyFest app prior to …

View Post

What to Try at WhiskyFest Chicago 2015

In Events by Leave a Comment

I am very excited to be attending my first WhiskyFest Chicago this coming weekend, April 10th. Over 350 whiskeys, nine seminars, a chance to talk with the distillers and blenders who make your favorite whiskeys, and only four hours to do it all. With those kinds of opportunities and that little time I am going to need a plan. After all, I don’t want to repeat the mistakes of my first whiskey festival. Here is my list of whiskeys not to miss trying. I have only included things that will be available for the whole night, not just VIP hour. …