View Post

Laphroaig Cairdeas Quarter Cask Review

In Scotch Whiskey Reviews by Leave a Comment

It just seems that whisky and friendship inherently go hand in hand. Sure, we’ve all come home from a long, hard day’s work and poured ourselves a measure of our favorite mood enhancing elixir to help unwind, and while those moments can be a highly satisfying way to relax in solitude, it has been my experience that by adding a few friends to the mix, the joy derived from that same glass of whisky can easily multiply tenfold. Stories are freely exchanged and moods are quickly lifted as smiles and laughter abound.

View Post

Speyburn 10 Years Old Whisky Review

In Scotch Whiskey Reviews by Leave a Comment

I have to admit I was a little skeptical about Speyburn due to the price point, but over the years I have learned not to judge a whisky based on price alone. Not having tasted a Speyburn prior to this review, I must say I was pleasantly surprised. It has a crisp, delightful nose and a rather pleasant palate, all while being easy on the wallet.

View Post

PENNA Dutch Malt Whiskey Review

In American Whiskey Reviews by Leave a Comment

The Pennsylvania Dutch came to America from Germany in the 17th century. This Dutch Malt Whiskey, made with traditional “Munich” style of malt, is a fitting tribute to those early pioneers whose rich traditions and enduring legacy still lives on today. Some of the first whiskey distilled in America hailed from this storied region, where what we ate and drank relied on what we planted and harvested. We’ve sourced our two-row barley from Deer Creek Malt House in Chester County, PA, for a depth of flavor only possible using traditional floor malting techniques.

View Post

Once, Twice, THREE times the whisky…Ardbeg Whisky Review

In Scotch Whiskey Reviews by 1 Comment

Just in time for the cooler weather, this month’s post features a trio of award winning scotch whiskies from the Ardbeg distillery. Over the years, Ardbeg has put out many special limited release bottlings, but the ones we will be looking at today make up their core range and are considered to be the three most popular in the line-up. While they wouldn’t necessarily be my first choice on a hot summer day, these smoky, peated whiskies lend themselves beautifully to winter imbibing. Upon opening any one of these bottles, my mind inherently drifts outdoors to a cozy campfire scene… I can smell the smoke and hear the wood crackling. I feel the warmth of the flames as golden embers leap from the fire pit, dancing upwards into the night. A few friends huddle around and raise their glasses in a toast while sharing stories and roasting marshmallows under the crisp moonlit sky.

View Post

Laphroaig Cairdeas Madeira Review

In Scotch Whiskey Reviews by Leave a Comment

Aside from constantly second guessing myself on the proper spelling, what’s not to love about a whisky crafted in the spirit of friendship? (“Cairdeas” literally means friendship in Gaelic).

Each year, the Distillery Manager at Laphroaig, John Campbell, sets out to create an exclusive, limited edition malt that encompasses this spirit of friendship, and with this newest release, the Madeira, he has created one of the Distillery’s most unique expressions yet. In the words of Mr. Campbell himself, “Laphroaig Cairdeas Madeira is what I like to consider friendship, distilled. This year’s bottling is exceptional because it’s so different from our previous releases. The aging of the liquid in Madeira casks makes 2016’s Cairdeas exceptionally flavorful and robust, while still maintaining Laphroaig’s characteristic peat and smoke. The result is a truly unique whisky.”

View Post

Angel’s Envy #Bourbonjourney Review #3: Ice Ice Baby

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Leave a Comment

Welcome back, everyone. With two stops checked off the itinerary so far, we’ve all had the opportunity to get a good feel for this whiskey and at least form an initial opinion of Angels Envy. From what I have seen, I’m happy to say that the response has been overwhelmingly positive. So, as we’re getting ready to pull into our third stop on the bourbon express, I’d like to take a moment before we debark to talk about a relatively controversial issue that I’ll be addressing today.