View Post

Ancient Ancient Age 10 Star Bourbon Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Thomas Fondano6 Comments

Welcome to a new tasting series on lower shelf bourbons. Bourbon & Banter contributor, Thomas Fondano, will be trying out and commenting on bourbons priced under $20. Knowing that not all sub-$20 bourbons will be great, Thomas will be adding a new category to our standard tasting notes – Straight, Old Fashioned or Manhattan  – to see whether a classic cocktail improves on a straight tasting. We hope you enjoy this new series of reviews and hope you’ll help us shape future reviews by letting us know in the comments what sub-$20 bourbon you’d like us to review next.   Last year …

View Post

Bracket Buster Bourbon Shot

In Cocktails by Thomas FondanoLeave a Comment

March is over, but the Madness continues. The Final Four is approaching and your bracket is most likely beyond repair. Some broken things can’t be fixed, but some can. Since basketball is all about making shots, that’s what I’ve done for you here. There is a cocktail in the Savoy Cocktail Book that appears twice. Once under the name Bunny Hug and once as the Earthquake Cocktail. It is a mind-boggling mixture of equal parts gin, whisky and absinthe. I have made this. It is completely unbalanced and far too dry. Here we try to remedy that by reducing the absinthe and …

View Post

Baseball Sour Bourbon Cocktail

In Cocktails by Thomas FondanoLeave a Comment

It’s World Series time! Maybe your team is in it, maybe they were plagued with injuries and never had a chance. Regardless, you need a drink. This variation on the whiskey sour adds Aperol for a bit of the bitter taste of defeat. Add in the baseball stitching effect and you’ve got one hell of a drink to enjoy while watching the Cardinals battle the Red Sox.   Baseball Sour Bourbon Cocktail 2 oz bourbon ¾ oz fresh squeezed lemon juice ¾ oz honey syrup* ½ oz Aperol 1 egg white Dry shake the ingredients together without ice for 30 seconds to emulsify the …

View Post

Fall Fashion Issue: An Old Fashioned Cocktail Perfect for Autumn

In Cocktails by Thomas Fondano1 Comment

The Old Fashioned is not so much a single cocktail as a style of cocktail. Originally, cocktail meant the drink consisted of a spirit, bitters, sugar and water. When new drinks were created with things like vermouth and absinthe, one who wanted the original style would order an “old fashioned cocktail.” While we think of it as a whiskey drink, it can really be made with any spirit. You actually could make a vodka old fashioned, but it would be rather bland and we probably wouldn’t be friends anymore.   In autumn, I like to add the seasonal flavor of apples. Cider …

View Post

Mississippi Punch Recipe

In Cocktails by Thomas FondanoLeave a Comment

Falling right between International Talk Like a Pirate Day and Miniature Golf Day, it’s National Rum Punch Day! Of course this is Bourbon & Banter, not Rum & Repartee (patent pending), so we had to make sure America’s Native Spirit was in the mix. This 19th-century punch comes to us via Jerry Thomas, the father of American mixology. (For more info on Thomas and the history of cocktails check out David Wondrich’s Imbibe!) With four ounces of booze and just a touch of lemon juice and sugar, it lives up to it’s name as a “punch.”   Mississippi Punch 2oz cognac 1oz …

View Post

Cherry Tree Anecdote Cocktail Recipe

In Cocktails by Thomas Fondano1 Comment

Featuring a guest post today from Thomas Fondano from Portland, OR. Thomas writes a booze blog and would love to contribute to Bourbon & Banter on a regular basis. Try out his recipe and let us know if you’d like to see more from Thomas over the next few months. I CANNOT TELL A LIE… I love my bourbon neat, but on a really hot day, I want something a little more refreshing. Summer means a lot of great fruit is in season, and right now that includes cherries. Cherries and bourbon pair well together whether in desserts or in the …