Old Forester Bourbon Ad Circa 1973

If you talk to Jimmy Russell and bring up Wild Turkey’s competitors, he’ll tell you that “We’re all good friends.” And while he means that sincerely, it doesn’t mean that the marketing folks are always ready to sit down around the table and share a drink with their competitive cousins.

Old Forester Bourbon Ad Circa1973

If you talk to Jimmy Russell and bring up Wild Turkey’s competitors, he’ll tell you that “We’re all good friends.”

And while he means that sincerely, it doesn’t mean that the marketing folks are always ready to sit down around the table and share a drink with their competitive cousins.

This 1973 advertisement from Old Forester Bourbon clearly shows that taking a swipe at your competitor, in this case Old Taylor, is perfectly acceptable. As a marketing industry veteran, I think it comes down to the fact that the folks making the Bourbon are typically far removed from the folks actually marketing the Bourbon. And in many cases the folks marketing the Bourbon are not actually Bourbon drinkers. Go figure, right? (That my friends is a topic for a future post.)

I hope you all enjoy the final weekend of 2012 and start your New Year’s celebration off with your fair share of Bourbon.

Old Forester Bourbon Ad Circa1973