View Post

Can Bourbon help save the art of conversation?

The world needs more bantering and less bitching. That’s the point I tried to convey in a post I wrote last week. In continuing along the lines of people and communication I’d like to share an article that I read this weekend in The New York Times titled “The flight From Conversation“. The article starts off with the following: “WE live in a technological universe in which we are always communicating. And yet we have sacrificed conversation for mere connection.”  Sacrificing conversation for mere connections – what a powerful observation. (I can imagine hearing someone using this line when lamenting …

View Post

The Balvenie Madeira Cask 17 Year Old Single Malt Whisky Review

In Angel's Portion, Scotch Whiskey Reviews by Rev. Chris ThomaLeave a Comment

There are certain distilleries that have earned my reverence. The Balvenie is one. Never have I purchased a particular release from The Balvenie and found it wanting. With every new bottle, when the shipping container cap is removed and the bottle is lifted from its womb, I motion for silence in the room even if no one is there. I want to hear the pop of the cork. It deserves to be heard, because it signals the beginning of a promised, enduring goodness. The rites and ceremonies for this Madeira Cask were the same, and as anticipated, rightfully due.

View Post

Old Quaker Bourbon Advertisement

In Banter by Patrick "Pops" Garrett3 Comments

Sorry that I haven’t posted more this week on the site, Twitter or Facebook.  Got hit by some random sickness that put me out of commission for a few days.  I’m starting to feel a little better but probably need a few more days to get back into the full swing of things. In an attempt to make up for lost time I thought I’d post a vintage bourbon ad that most of you probably haven’t seen before. It’s a 1937 classic from Old Quaker whiskey. (Available in Bourbon or Rye and made in Lawrenceburg, IN.)  I hope you enjoy …

Who’s Leading The #Bourbon Conversation On Twitter Infographic – April 2012

Last month we posted our first #bourbon Twitter infographic to show who’s leading the bourbon conversation on Twitter. We thought everyone might enjoy a monthly update so below are the results for the past month. Our friends over at @WhiskeyDisks once again have come out on top as one of the leaders of the #bourbon conversation. As for the other top influencer…well…let’s just way we’re providing it for research purposes only. Appearances of #bourbon increased by almost 400 this past month but I think we can do much better as a community. Let’s shoot for reaching 5,000 mentions of #bourbon …

There’s A Reason We’re Named Bourbon & Banter

In Banter by Patrick "Pops" Garrett2 Comments

Last week was my wife’s birthday. To celebrate we got together with some friends on Friday night at our favorite restaurant. I even surprised my wife by getting one of her college roommates to drive in for the evening from 3 hours away. (Yes, I did score some major cool husband points for that one.) It was a fantastic evening. Great food, great friends and plenty to drink. I must confess that I even treated myself to some Pappy 15 at dinner.  Please don’t hate me for it. As  everyone was deep in conversation I sat back and took it all in. …

View Post

Old Grand-Dad – Bourbon Advertisement

In Banter by Patrick "Pops" Garrett2 Comments

This week’s bourbon advertisement is from Old Grand-Dad Special Selection circa 1980. I especially like this line, “You’ll know why we recommend it to people who drink Bourbon for sheer enjoyment.” Which I suppose is different than people who drink it to get @#[email protected] up. Always nice when you have to make that clarification. I’m glad the industry has bounced back and we don’t need such explanations. (Or do we?)   PS – I hope you’ve been enjoying these old advertisements. Just a teaser that I’ve found some even cooler ads that I’lld start sharing next week. Have a great weekend!

View Post

Every Bourbon Pilgrimage Deserves A Bourbon Barrel

In Events by Patrick "Pops" GarrettLeave a Comment

With the 2012 Bourbon & Banter Pilgrimage open for registration I thought I’d give you a sneak peak into some of the trip details over the next few months. To kick things off I thought I’d share a photo of this kick-ass mini bourbon barrel that I received from our good friends over at Bluegrass Barrels.  They were kind enough to provide me with the barrel so I could test it out and provide my readers with an in-depth review of their product. That review will be done over the next several weeks and I can’t wait to share with …