View Post

Announcing the 2012 Bourbon & Banter Pilgrimage

In Events by Patrick "Pops" GarrettLeave a Comment

A few short weeks ago I was discussing a trip to Kentucky with a few of my friends. As we started to research all the different distilleries tours and pre-packaged travel options it occurred to me that the type of experience I was looking for wasn’t readily available. Don’t get me wrong. There are some fine trips available, but none of them looked like they would deliver the type of experience I was hoping to have in bourbon country. I also realized that if I went with only a few local friends I would be missing out on what Bourbon …

Northwest Distilleries – Bourbon Advertisement

For this Friday’s installment of vintage bourbon ads we’re really going to make you jealous. That’s right? Wouldn’t you like to be able to grab yourself a pint of bourbon for less than a dollar?  Who cares that it’s only been aged 18 months. I’m sure it’s plenty smooth for the price. At these prices you can’t afford not to stock up. You never know when Prohibition might pop up and surprise you. Cheers to a great weekend everyone!

View Post

Woodford Reserve Double Oaked Bourbon Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Patrick "Pops" Garrett11 Comments

Recently Woodford Reserve released a new expression called Woodford Reserve Double Oaked.  It’s their first expression in over 15 years and I’m happy to report that they’ve done a wonderful job with their newest addition. But before we get into my tasting notes I think we need to provide a little explanation of just what “double oaked” means. Here’s what they have to say over on Woodford’s website: “An innovative approach to twice-barreled bourbon creates the rich and colorful flavor of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. Uniquely matured in separate, charred oak barrels – the second barrel deeply toasted before a …

View Post

“The Ultimate Bourbon Immersion 2012” – PSA

Hey gang, wanted to share something that I just received an email about. It’s the “The Ultimate Bourbon Immersion 2012” tour on April 26-29, 2012. I was asked to share with my readers who might enjoy a trip like this. As many of you know Bourbon & Banter is planning our own trip in October 2012. This is not the same trip. This one is not affiliated with B&B but since we strive to provide the info we feel will be of interest to our readers we’re sharing it with you. Looks like a nice trip and opportunity, btw. Whether …

View Post

What Makes A Bar, More Than Just A Bar?

In Banter by Patrick "Pops" Garrett1 Comment

The other day I was scanning my RSS feeds and the following headline from the NY Times caught me off guard and literrally stopped me in my tracks… “The Last, Lush Hours of Bill’s Gay Nineties” “Bill’s Gay Nineties is closed?” I asked out loud to myself. Surely the headline was a joke. Just a ruse to get people to click on the link and read a story they were writing about Bill’s long history and connections to Prohibition. Right? Wrong. After 88 long years (having never closed it’s doors since it opened during Prohibition) Bill’s was closing because the …

View Post

Cream of Kentucky – Bourbon Advertisement

Welcome to Friday everyone! We’re glad you all made it through the week safe and sound. What better time to slip back in time and experience some vintage bourbon advertising.  This Friday’s installment features a classic ad from Cream of Kentucky Bourbon. According to Wikipedia, James Barton appeared in “Tobacco Road” in 1933.  That tells us this ad is almost 80 years old.  Wow! Now I have to see if I can find some ads even older than this one. Anyway….  Here’s to everyone having a great weekend and enjoying your favoriate bourbon!

Scotch versus Bourbon Infographic

Bourbon and Scotch lovers are united by the fact that both are types of whiskey. However, that’s also where things tend to end for many people who claim an allegiance to one over the other. Obviously we’re partial to bourbon but don’t feel that it’s our place to say that bourbon is better than scotch. So we decided to do the most democratic thing we could think of to settle which one reigns supreme. We built an infographic! Not just any infographic mind you. An infographic that shows whether #bourbon or #scotch was the most talked about on Twitter for …

View Post

Jim Beam Devil’s Cut | Bourbon Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Patrick "Pops" Garrett2 Comments

“As bourbon ages, a portion of the liquid is lost from the barrel due to evaporation—that’s the “Angel’s Share.” After aging, when the bourbon is dumped out of the barrel, a certain amount of whiskey is left trapped within the wood of every barrel.  We call that the “devil’s cut.” So goes the explanation of the Devil’s Cut name per the brand’s Jim Beam website. Whether or not you chalk the name up to clever marketing or bourbon inspired genius (I believe the latter, btw) Devil’s Cut is a bourbon that you shouldn’t overlook when looking for something new to try. This …