View Post

Old Grand-Dad – Bourbon Advertisement

In Banter by Patrick "Pops" Garrett2 Comments

This week’s bourbon advertisement is from Old Grand-Dad Special Selection circa 1980. I especially like this line, “You’ll know why we recommend it to people who drink Bourbon for sheer enjoyment.” Which I suppose is different than people who drink it to get @#$@ up. Always nice when you have to make that clarification. I’m glad the industry has bounced back and we don’t need such explanations. (Or do we?)   PS – I hope you’ve been enjoying these old advertisements. Just a teaser that I’ve found some even cooler ads that I’lld start sharing next week. Have a great weekend!

View Post

Every Bourbon Pilgrimage Deserves A Bourbon Barrel

In Events by Patrick "Pops" GarrettLeave a Comment

With the 2012 Bourbon & Banter Pilgrimage open for registration I thought I’d give you a sneak peak into some of the trip details over the next few months. To kick things off I thought I’d share a photo of this kick-ass mini bourbon barrel that I received from our good friends over at Bluegrass Barrels.  They were kind enough to provide me with the barrel so I could test it out and provide my readers with an in-depth review of their product. That review will be done over the next several weeks and I can’t wait to share with …

View Post

Jefferson’s Reserve Very Old Bourbon Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Patrick "Pops" Garrett6 Comments

Jefferson’s Reserve is a big, sophisticated bourbon that has a lot of flavor up front, a lot of weight mid palate and a deep, wonderful finish.Jefferson’s Click to explore our complete library of reviews to help you choose your next perfect bottle.Jefferson’s Very Old Bourbon YEAR: 2011 (933/2400 Bottles | Batch No.88) PROOF: 90.2 (45.1% ABV) BUY ONLINE: Wine-Searcher.com POP’S NOTESBRAND NOTESNOSE: Butterscotch | Raisins | Vanilla (Special Note: Very little alcohol smell) TASTE: Oak | Tobacco| Brown Sugar FINISH: Nice and smooth on the front of the tongue with just a little burn on the back as you swallow. Not to much …

View Post

Announcing the 2012 Bourbon & Banter Pilgrimage

In Events by Patrick "Pops" GarrettLeave a Comment

A few short weeks ago I was discussing a trip to Kentucky with a few of my friends. As we started to research all the different distilleries tours and pre-packaged travel options it occurred to me that the type of experience I was looking for wasn’t readily available. Don’t get me wrong. There are some fine trips available, but none of them looked like they would deliver the type of experience I was hoping to have in bourbon country. I also realized that if I went with only a few local friends I would be missing out on what Bourbon …

Northwest Distilleries – Bourbon Advertisement

For this Friday’s installment of vintage bourbon ads we’re really going to make you jealous. That’s right? Wouldn’t you like to be able to grab yourself a pint of bourbon for less than a dollar?  Who cares that it’s only been aged 18 months. I’m sure it’s plenty smooth for the price. At these prices you can’t afford not to stock up. You never know when Prohibition might pop up and surprise you. Cheers to a great weekend everyone!

View Post

Woodford Reserve Double Oaked Bourbon Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Patrick "Pops" Garrett11 Comments

Recently Woodford Reserve released a new expression called Woodford Reserve Double Oaked.  It’s their first expression in over 15 years and I’m happy to report that they’ve done a wonderful job with their newest addition. But before we get into my tasting notes I think we need to provide a little explanation of just what “double oaked” means. Here’s what they have to say over on Woodford’s website: “An innovative approach to twice-barreled bourbon creates the rich and colorful flavor of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. Uniquely matured in separate, charred oak barrels – the second barrel deeply toasted before a …

View Post

“The Ultimate Bourbon Immersion 2012” – PSA

Hey gang, wanted to share something that I just received an email about. It’s the “The Ultimate Bourbon Immersion 2012” tour on April 26-29, 2012. I was asked to share with my readers who might enjoy a trip like this. As many of you know Bourbon & Banter is planning our own trip in October 2012. This is not the same trip. This one is not affiliated with B&B but since we strive to provide the info we feel will be of interest to our readers we’re sharing it with you. Looks like a nice trip and opportunity, btw. Whether …

View Post

What Makes A Bar, More Than Just A Bar?

In Banter by Patrick "Pops" Garrett1 Comment

The other day I was scanning my RSS feeds and the following headline from the NY Times caught me off guard and literrally stopped me in my tracks… “The Last, Lush Hours of Bill’s Gay Nineties” “Bill’s Gay Nineties is closed?” I asked out loud to myself. Surely the headline was a joke. Just a ruse to get people to click on the link and read a story they were writing about Bill’s long history and connections to Prohibition. Right? Wrong. After 88 long years (having never closed it’s doors since it opened during Prohibition) Bill’s was closing because the …