Scotch versus Bourbon Infographic

Bourbon and Scotch lovers are united by the fact that both are types of whiskey. However, that’s also where things tend to end for many people who claim an allegiance to one over the other. Obviously we’re partial to bourbon but don’t feel that it’s our place to say that bourbon is better than scotch. So we decided to do the most democratic thing we could think of to settle which one reigns supreme. We built an infographic! Not just any infographic mind you. An infographic that shows whether #bourbon or #scotch was the most talked about on Twitter for …

View Post

Jim Beam Devil’s Cut | Bourbon Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Patrick "Pops" Garrett2 Comments

“As bourbon ages, a portion of the liquid is lost from the barrel due to evaporation—that’s the “Angel’s Share.” After aging, when the bourbon is dumped out of the barrel, a certain amount of whiskey is left trapped within the wood of every barrel.  We call that the “devil’s cut.” So goes the explanation of the Devil’s Cut name per the brand’s Jim Beam website. Whether or not you chalk the name up to clever marketing or bourbon inspired genius (I believe the latter, btw) Devil’s Cut is a bourbon that you shouldn’t overlook when looking for something new to try. This …

View Post

Charter Oak Bourbon Advertisement

In Banter by Patrick "Pops" Garrett1 Comment

Here’s a bourbon advertisement from 1949 for Charter Oak Straight Bourbon Whisky.  While I find that the imagery of the man leaning on the fence with a pipe, accompanied by his dog fits well with the concept of aged bourbon I can’t quite figure out what’s up with the holly leaves and berries by the bottle itself. Anyone care to offer up a guess?

View Post

Elijah Craig 18-Year-Old Single Barrel | Bourbon Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Patrick "Pops" Garrett6 Comments

What comes to mind when you think of 18-years old? I suspect that many of you think about pseudo-mature teenagers who are still living off their parents in desperate need of a few more years of growing up and maturation. (If “18-year old” conjured up anything less pure in nature we won’t judge you but please remember this isn’t “that kind” of website.) When talking about the Elijah Craig 18-Year-Old Single Barrel Bourbon I can tell you that it’s anything but immature. No sir! There’s nothing in this bourbon that screams out “hide your car keys and lock your liquor …

Steve Lewis | Bourbon & Banter Member Spotlight

In Banter by Patrick "Pops" Garrett1 Comment

The last six months have been an exciting time for Bourbon & Banter. Our Facebook community has grown significantly and we were able to launch our website just a few weeks ago. I’d like to thank everyone who has contributed to our success.  Your posts, photos and stories are what B&B is all about. I’d like to launch a new feature for the website starting today – The Bourbon & Banter Member Spotlight. To kick things off I’d like to introduce you to Steve Lewis. Steve has been an active voice in the community for quite a while. When he …

Twitter Showdown: Jameson vs Bushmills

Happy St. Paddy’s Day everyone! In honor of my Irish roots I’m taking a short detour today to post an Irish Whiskey post. I thought it would be cool to see who’s got Twitter bragging rights between Jameson and Bushmills. I hope you enjoy as you celebrate your own Irish roots. Even if they are the dyed variety out of a bottle. 😉 create infographics with visual.ly

View Post

Maker’s Mark Tastes Expensive | Bourbon Advertisement

In Banter by Patrick "Pops" Garrett2 Comments

It’s Friday. Time to wind down the week and open the bourbon cabinet for a few days and let it air out. No doubt many of you will be enjoying some Maker’s Mark this weekend. I thought this vintage ad would be perfect for you. “It tastes expensive…and is.” Pretty ballsy stuff for the time I imagine. But then again Maker’s was working to fix the reputation of bourbon, and I for one, am damn glad they did. I encourage you to show your thanks by having a glass of Maker’s this weekend and tell them yourself how you feel …

View Post

Four Roses Limited Edition 2011 Bourbon Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Patrick "Pops" Garrett7 Comments

Fair warning folks, this is my first ever official bourbon review. Or should I say, my first ever bourbon review put down on paper. Because you know darn well that I’ve tasted my fair share of bourbons and haven’t been shy is sharing my opinion verbally. So let’s just call this the first “official” review so we can get on with things.

As I write this review, I’m not entirely sure that the world really needs another person cranking out bourbon reviews. After all, there are plenty of great websites with detailed and methodical reviews telling you more than you’ve ever wanted to know about a specific bourbon. And besides, I don’t have the patience to be detailed and methodical.