View Post

Old Quaker Bourbon Advertisement

In Banter by Patrick "Pops" Garrett3 Comments

Sorry that I haven’t posted more this week on the site, Twitter or Facebook.  Got hit by some random sickness that put me out of commission for a few days.  I’m starting to feel a little better but probably need a few more days to get back into the full swing of things. In an attempt to make up for lost time I thought I’d post a vintage bourbon ad that most of you probably haven’t seen before. It’s a 1937 classic from Old Quaker whiskey. (Available in Bourbon or Rye and made in Lawrenceburg, IN.)  I hope you enjoy …

Who’s Leading The #Bourbon Conversation On Twitter Infographic – April 2012

Last month we posted our first #bourbon Twitter infographic to show who’s leading the bourbon conversation on Twitter. We thought everyone might enjoy a monthly update so below are the results for the past month. Our friends over at @WhiskeyDisks once again have come out on top as one of the leaders of the #bourbon conversation. As for the other top influencer…well…let’s just way we’re providing it for research purposes only. Appearances of #bourbon increased by almost 400 this past month but I think we can do much better as a community. Let’s shoot for reaching 5,000 mentions of #bourbon …

There’s A Reason We’re Named Bourbon & Banter

In Banter by Patrick "Pops" Garrett2 Comments

Last week was my wife’s birthday. To celebrate we got together with some friends on Friday night at our favorite restaurant. I even surprised my wife by getting one of her college roommates to drive in for the evening from 3 hours away. (Yes, I did score some major cool husband points for that one.) It was a fantastic evening. Great food, great friends and plenty to drink. I must confess that I even treated myself to some Pappy 15 at dinner.  Please don’t hate me for it. As  everyone was deep in conversation I sat back and took it all in. …

View Post

Old Grand-Dad – Bourbon Advertisement

In Banter by Patrick "Pops" Garrett2 Comments

This week’s bourbon advertisement is from Old Grand-Dad Special Selection circa 1980. I especially like this line, “You’ll know why we recommend it to people who drink Bourbon for sheer enjoyment.” Which I suppose is different than people who drink it to get @#$@ up. Always nice when you have to make that clarification. I’m glad the industry has bounced back and we don’t need such explanations. (Or do we?)   PS – I hope you’ve been enjoying these old advertisements. Just a teaser that I’ve found some even cooler ads that I’lld start sharing next week. Have a great weekend!

View Post

Every Bourbon Pilgrimage Deserves A Bourbon Barrel

In Events by Patrick "Pops" GarrettLeave a Comment

With the 2012 Bourbon & Banter Pilgrimage open for registration I thought I’d give you a sneak peak into some of the trip details over the next few months. To kick things off I thought I’d share a photo of this kick-ass mini bourbon barrel that I received from our good friends over at Bluegrass Barrels.  They were kind enough to provide me with the barrel so I could test it out and provide my readers with an in-depth review of their product. That review will be done over the next several weeks and I can’t wait to share with …

View Post

Jefferson’s Reserve Very Old Bourbon Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Patrick "Pops" Garrett6 Comments

Jefferson’s Reserve is a big, sophisticated bourbon that has a lot of flavor up front, a lot of weight mid palate and a deep, wonderful finish.Jefferson’s Click to explore our complete library of reviews to help you choose your next perfect bottle.Jefferson’s Very Old Bourbon YEAR: 2011 (933/2400 Bottles | Batch No.88) PROOF: 90.2 (45.1% ABV) BUY ONLINE: Wine-Searcher.com POP’S NOTESBRAND NOTESNOSE: Butterscotch | Raisins | Vanilla (Special Note: Very little alcohol smell) TASTE: Oak | Tobacco| Brown Sugar FINISH: Nice and smooth on the front of the tongue with just a little burn on the back as you swallow. Not to much …

View Post

Announcing the 2012 Bourbon & Banter Pilgrimage

In Events by Patrick "Pops" GarrettLeave a Comment

A few short weeks ago I was discussing a trip to Kentucky with a few of my friends. As we started to research all the different distilleries tours and pre-packaged travel options it occurred to me that the type of experience I was looking for wasn’t readily available. Don’t get me wrong. There are some fine trips available, but none of them looked like they would deliver the type of experience I was hoping to have in bourbon country. I also realized that if I went with only a few local friends I would be missing out on what Bourbon …