View Post

Blaum Bros. Straight Bourbon Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Jim KnudsenLeave a Comment

In the press release they say their goal was to produce a “legit and bonafide bourbon whiskey”, which may sound like a modest goal. Having tasted my share of craft bourbons, I will say it is no easy thing. I believe they accomplished their goal. In addition, I really respect what these guys are doing in their quest for authenticity. Craft distilling without a fake background story and mystery mash bill or blend. This is one of their first non-sourced, aged whiskies and it is a credible offering. They waited a full four years to offer a straight bourbon and I think it was worth it. I also, appreciate the discipline of offering at a reachable price point, not an easy thing for a new distiller.

View Post

Watershed Bourbon Review

In Banter, Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Jarrod Lapato1 Comment

From the initial pop of the ‘cork’, an enticing spicy sweetness rushed from the bottle like a newly awoken genie. I have the word cork in quotes because it’s not an actual cork… between breakage, crumbling or other quality control issues, many distilleries are beginning to move away from natural cork and toward synthetic options. Fortunately, whatever its made of still gives the highly anticipated “POP” sound I so look forward to when opening a new bottle.

View Post

Chattanooga Whiskey CASK 111 Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Patrick "Pops" GarrettLeave a Comment

Over the past few years, I’ve learned that I really enjoy whiskeys that explore using different malted grains. So when I first heard about Chattanooga Whiskey’s Tennessee High Malt Whiskey coming to market, I’ll admit I was pretty excited. Now having tried it, I can confirm that this new release from Chattanooga Whiskey only reinforces my fondness for whiskeys using a variety of malted grains.

View Post

HillBilly Bourbon Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Lee StangLeave a Comment

This is a very young bourbon. And it tastes like it. According to the distillery it is sourced distillate from MGP and is a blend of barrels aged somewhere between 6 and 20 months. While you definitely get a young bourbon, doughy taste some pleasant underlying notes do come through. I tried this neat, with a few drops of water and on the rocks. A few drops of water didn’t make any discernable difference in the taste. On the rocks, some of the youthful taste disappeared and a little more cherry came out.

View Post

2019 Four Roses Limited Edition Small Batch Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Patrick "Pops" GarrettLeave a Comment

What a nose! the butter cream with vanilla front notes are amazing on their own. Add in the baking spices and juicy fruit and my nose starts telling my feet to dance. It’s really that good. It’s not overly complex like some bourbons with layer upon layer of aromas. Instead, it’s fairly simple but with a rich combination of smells that come together perfectly to create a smooth yet indulgent experience.