View Post

Ragtime Rye Bottled-in-Bond Whiskey Review

In Rye Whiskey News by Frank Dobbins1 Comment

While New York Distilling Company’s standard rye expression is only aged for 3 years and lacks the punch to capture a serious whiskey enthusiast’s attention, their 4-year Ragtime Rye Bottled-In-Bond Whiskey offering is here to pick up the slack. The aromas it presents are immediately inviting, starting with a salted caramel, suntan lotion, and lavender medley that work in harmony despite being a bit unusual. They’re followed by more entrancing notes like stewed apples, cookie dough, and Brazil nuts and before one even has a chance to give it a taste the mouth is watering!

View Post

Ben Holladay Bottled-In-Bond Bourbon Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Brett AtlasLeave a Comment

So, in March, when Noelle Hale reached out to me to tell me all about Holladay Distillery in Missouri, I expected more of the same. Of course, it all begins with a story, doesn’t it? Back in the 1850s, Kentuckian Ben Holladay knew exactly what the limestone springs in Weston, MO were good for, and he made good use of it. Ben’s distillery, the oldest business in the Kansas City area, underwent a $10 million renovation in 2015 and started distilling bourbon again for the first time in three decades. Would I like to try their first release, a 6-year bottled-in-bond, real Missouri bourbon?

View Post

Ragtime Rye Whiskey Review

In Rye Whiskey Reviews by Frank DobbinsLeave a Comment

Before I ever tried a single expression from New York Distilling Company, I was enamored with their bottle design and enchanted by the collective experience of their founders. Allen Katz and Bill and Tom Potter are well established in the New York food and beverage community, which has resulted in plenty of positive press. Their savvy decision to build an adjoining bar next to their distilling operation has been yet another boon for the local community and afforded them a profitable space to grow out of as they’re not yet able to host distillery tours.