View Post

The Dubliner Irish Whiskey & Honeycomb Liqueur Review

In Flavored Whiskey News by Lee StangLeave a Comment

Sugary sweet! Forget the wedge of cake after dinner and go with this Irish Whiskey Liqueur. A big taste of vanilla cream cheese icing with a hint of honey and some irish whiskey coming through. Less calories and a little buzz. If you are a fan of after dinner liqueurs, I would definitely put this on your list. It’s great neat, chilled or with a cube. I would say this is a bit sweeter than Irish Mist if I remember it correctly. My wife, Patti, who is a big Irish Mist fan gives The Dubliner Liqueur two thumbs up. Definitely worth checking out if this is up your alley.

View Post

Wonderland Distilling Cask Strength Review

In American Whiskey Reviews by Paul NeedhamLeave a Comment

Last October I reviewed the first whiskey offering out of Wonderland and really enjoyed it. I like it when smaller distilleries try to do their own thing, rather than try to copy the big boys and beat them at a game they’ve perfected. The idea of blending three straight whiskies together that are all aged separately is not 100% novel, but is unique enough to give the folks at Wonderland a niche in the market. The only critique I had in my review last year was that I felt it had been proofed down too far and that a bottling at 90-100 proof would allow it to really shine. I’m not sure if they were paying attention to little-old-me when they decided to create this cask-strength offering, but I certainly jumped at the chance to review it when given the opportunity!

View Post

Stellum Rye Whiskey Review

In Rye Whiskey Reviews by Patrick "Pops" GarrettLeave a Comment

When I first nosed Stellum Rye, it immediately screamed: “MGP Rye” which is no surprise since the base rye was sourced from MGP. But when I came back to it and dug in a bit for my review, I started to encounter layer upon layer of nuances that quickly convinced me this is not just a gussied up MGP bottling. All of the hallmarks of an MGP rye are present, especially the dill notes, but as you keep nosing, it shows its true nature unveiling additional notes of light fruits (think peaches and green apple) mingled with cardamon and anise. Eventually, I was even picking up fresh lemon citrus in the background. Left unchecked, I could easily spend a few hours nosing this rye and uncovering new aromas all night.