View Post

Four Roses 2020 Limited Edition Small Batch Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Patrick "Pops" GarrettLeave a Comment

Similar to last year’s release, this year’s Four Roses Limited Edition Small Batch bourbon has a lovely nosed filled with buttery vanilla and complemented with a pome fruit bomb and spiced orange. Each aroma is full represented solidly but also flow naturally with the others creating an overall aroma that is greater than just the sum of its parts. It’s sweet on the tip of the tongue with berries & cream covered with crystalized brown sugar. As it hits your mid-palate, the flavors shift with notes of orange peel and toasted oak that balance out the sweetness with bitter – just enough to bring it all into harmony.

View Post

Elijah Craig Toasted Barrel Bourbon Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Patrick "Pops" Garrett3 Comments

The nose on the Elijah Craig Toasted Barrel Bourbon is lovely. It’s more robust and more complex than the standard Elijah Craig expression we all know and love. As such, I was super excited to give this one a taste finally. Unfortunately, the flavor profile didn’t live up to the aroma. The sweet buttery caramel aromas that made the nose, so lovey are nowhere on the palate. Instead, they swapped places with hot baking spices touched with some black pepper for good measure. It drinks hotter than the stated proof. As a result, the spice mixes with a stronger than expected oak that is bitter and not what I expected. There was a slight touch of cocoa, but it was all too fleeting to counterbalance the tannic oak.

View Post

George Remus Repeal Reserve IV Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Patrick "Pops" Garrett4 Comments

I always look forward to MGP’s release of George Remus Repeal Reserve Bourbon and was thrilled when they announced they would be getting it to market a few months earlier than usual. If you’re a fan of previous releases, you’re going to want to start making plans now to grab yourself a bottle of Series IV. The nose on this one is strong. Unlike last year’s release which had an unexpected orange aroma, this year’s release returns proudly to its expect MGP form. Big caramel notes lathered in butter accompanied by sugary fruit (darker than last year’s orange) and a slap of leather explode from the glass when poured.

View Post

Port Cask Finished Virginia-Highland Whisky Review

In American Whiskey Reviews by Jeffrey Schwartz1 Comment

In full disclosure, this isn’t my first run-in with Virginia-Highland Port Cask Finished Whisky. I’ve served previous batches at whiskey appreciation classes I’ve hosted and it always went over well. As such, I was excited for the opportunity to try Batch 10 to experience how it has held up.

This is a marriage of a Highland Scotch from an undisclosed distillery and American Malt whiskey from Virginia Distillery Company. It was then aged in ex-Port casks from King Family Vineyards for an additional year.

View Post

The Glendronach Revival Aged 15 Years Scotch Whisky Review

In Scotch Whiskey Reviews by Steve CoomesLeave a Comment

This is a delightful and intriguing whisky. It never stops giving new aromas, which makes it a lot of fun just to nose. Few flavors in this Scotch jump out at you; there’s a bit of seek and find with it. It demands to be savored slowly and carefully, which was convenient amid the COVID-19 quarantine when WAY TOO FEW PEOPLE WERE AROUND TO INTERRUPT ME! It’s become haggard to see reviewers write, “This whiskey would be best enjoyed by a fire” when too few of us are ever around an actual wood fire. So I’ll speak to the truth of my tasting: This whisky is damn fine enjoyed on a hand-me-down couch with a computer in my lap.