View Post

Old Fashioned from Watershed Distillery Review

In Bottled Cocktails by Jarrod Lapato3 Comments

Ask 20 different people to make you an Old Fashioned and you’ll likely get 20 different variations of this classic cocktail. While it has very few ingredients, the options within those basic ingredients can vary widely. Rye whiskey or bourbon? High proof or low? 1 oz or 2? Orange or cherries? Maybe you like both – or maybe neither. Then there’s the bitters… 1 dash or 5? Agnostura bitters? Orange bitters? Chocolate bitters? Even the sugar used will affect the taste. Raw sugar, refined sugar, simple syrup, agave syrup, artificial sugars… and so on.

View Post

Blaum Bros. Straight Rye Review

In Rye Whiskey Reviews by Jim KnudsenLeave a Comment

The Blaum Brothers message of quality and authenticity comes through on this product. The smoked malt adds to the complexity and a full four years in the barrel, not overly common in ryes is evident in the taste. Having tasted this during bourbon heritage month, I feel like I am cheating, but I will try it in a Manhattan as soon as we get to October.

View Post

Blaum Bros. Straight Bourbon Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Jim KnudsenLeave a Comment

In the press release they say their goal was to produce a “legit and bonafide bourbon whiskey”, which may sound like a modest goal. Having tasted my share of craft bourbons, I will say it is no easy thing. I believe they accomplished their goal. In addition, I really respect what these guys are doing in their quest for authenticity. Craft distilling without a fake background story and mystery mash bill or blend. This is one of their first non-sourced, aged whiskies and it is a credible offering. They waited a full four years to offer a straight bourbon and I think it was worth it. I also, appreciate the discipline of offering at a reachable price point, not an easy thing for a new distiller.

View Post

Watershed Bourbon Review

In Banter, Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Jarrod Lapato1 Comment

From the initial pop of the ‘cork’, an enticing spicy sweetness rushed from the bottle like a newly awoken genie. I have the word cork in quotes because it’s not an actual cork… between breakage, crumbling or other quality control issues, many distilleries are beginning to move away from natural cork and toward synthetic options. Fortunately, whatever its made of still gives the highly anticipated “POP” sound I so look forward to when opening a new bottle.