View Post

Seed To Shaker: Six Unique Culinary Herbs For Exceptional Garnish

In Cocktails by Patrick "Pops" GarrettLeave a Comment

Craft Cocktails have entered a second golden age. There are more craft distilleries, opening up every day, the big boys are aging more specialty lines, and Instagram allows the sipping enthusiast as well as master mixologists a chance to explore cutting-edge creations in real time as the best in the world push the limits of what is possible. Part of the new golden age equation is the rise of the farm to table movement.

View Post

Cava: Your Summer Bourbon Cocktail Companion

In Cocktails by Erin PetreyLeave a Comment

Whiskey in the Winter is a perfect pairing. The slightly warmer nights of spring also make brown spirits a good fit. But as soon as the weather starts to turn summery hot, I start to crave a cold glass of bubbly. From May on, I make sure my house is always stocked with a case of Segura Viudas Brut Reserva, my favorite, affordable cava. Cava is the perfect drink for summer, as it is light, effervescent, and not too sweet. As far as sparkling wines go, cava is the closest to Champagne in terms of flavor profile and, in many cases, much cheaper. Fortunately for us, bourbon and cava work tremendously together.

View Post

Aged & Infused Review

In Cocktails, Food Stuff Reviews by Thomas FondanoLeave a Comment

Ever get tired of plain old delicious whiskey? Me neither. But around here the motto is “Drink Curious” or as I like to say, “Try all the drinks.” Aged & Infused makes whiskey infusion kits. Similar to those meal delivery kits you’ve seen ads for or heard about on podcasts, all of the ingredients are individually pre-packaged and designed for ease of use. The process is simple: Open the jar and remove the packages of ingredients, open packages and put ingredients back in the jar, fill the jar with bourbon, wait one week, enjoy.

View Post

Reverse Manhattan – The Perfect Second & Third Drink

In Cocktails by Thomas Fondano5 Comments

I love cocktails. Happy hour is 5 pm daily at our house, usually two rounds. I love Old Fashioneds and Manhattans, but two high-proof cocktails before dinner can be a bit much. As I get older happy hour seems to get shorter.

I love sweet vermouth. (You can learn more about vermouth in Amaro, which I have reviewed for you or visit Vermouth101.com) Some people say they don’t like sweet vermouth. These people are wrong. Vermouth is wine and you need to treat it that way. You wouldn’t leave an open bottle of wine in the back of your cupboard for a year and expect it to be good, would you? No. Refrigerate after opening and use within a couple weeks.

View Post

Big O Ginger Liqueur Review & Cocktails

In Cocktails by Thomas FondanoLeave a Comment

“Big O is a premium ginger liqueur handcrafted from high-quality, all-natural ingredients and artisan-crafted spirits. Prepared with hand-chopped fresh ginger, whole spices, citrus, wine-based vodka, and brandy. Big O is a smooth, warming drink that’s both flavorful and pleasing to the palate. Big O is a superb after-dinner drink, but it is also a versatile base or modifier for creating craft cocktails, giving a fresh twist to classic concoctions or inspiring new creations sure to please any palate.”

Hmmm, no explanation there. Cheeky name aside, Big O is a tasty liqueur in a pretty bottle. Less sharp than other ginger liqueurs, it is also less sweet and more nuanced due to the addition of other spices to complement the ginger. To me, there is something reminiscent of Juicy Fruit gum in the aroma with a nice punch of ginger flavor. It’s very versatile. I recommend substituting it for sweet or fruity liqueurs like orange curaçao. Or combine Big O with club soda to make a hard ginger ale to use in a buck.

View Post

2016 Cocktail Trends and Bourbon

In Cocktails by Leave a Comment

The average bourbon connoisseur may be vaguely aware of the emergence of a number of trends in the world of craft cocktails. While the more sanguine amongst you may raise a weary eyebrow at the use of ‘artisanal’ ingredients, home-ageing, or fancy garnishes and sparklers, and just ask for another large Pappy on the rocks; what if 2016 does offer some trends that you can apply to your bourbon drinking?