View Post

Celebrate New Year’s with a Seelbach Cocktail

In Cocktails by Leave a Comment

While everyone around you is toasting the new year with a glass of champagne there is no reason not to sip on some bourbon instead if that is what you enjoy. But before you write off the bubbly completely may I suggest a classic cocktail that combines the best of both worlds? The Seelbach Cocktail is named after the hotel in Louisville where it was first served in 1917. Legend has it that the drink was invited when the bartender used a customer’s Manhattan to capture the overflow from an exploding champagne bottle. Considering the similarities the Seelbach bears to …

View Post

Bourbon Eggnog Recipes for the Holidays

In Cocktails, Food by Leave a Comment

Eggnog is, undoubtedly, a polarizing beverage. Raw eggs, booze, and cream stuck in the fridge for a month? Dubious. Luckily, the threat of spoilage is pretty low because of the amount of sugar, booze, and refrigeration that goes into making a batch of nog. Still, I’m pretty much convinced die-hard eggnog enthusiasts like myself only exist because we were sneaking cups of it from the family punchbowl before we knew what it was actually made of. But setting aside the yuck factor, eggnog is not only delicious (it’s basically a custard), and historical (George Washington had his own recipe, which …

View Post

The Suffering Bastard Cocktail Recipe

In Cocktails by 1 Comment

A Hangover Cure?

The Suffering Bastard is a cocktail with a history. It was originally named The Suffering Bar Steward according to the legend and was created as a hangover cure. I think it’s more likely to cause one than to cure one, but you may find it has medicinal properties.

There are a number versions of the recipe. Some newer recipes use rum, but the original called for bourbon… and gin. This is a potent cocktail, so partake with caution!

View Post

Baseball Sour Bourbon Cocktail

In Cocktails by Thomas FondanoLeave a Comment

It’s World Series time! Maybe your team is in it, maybe they were plagued with injuries and never had a chance. Regardless, you need a drink. This variation on the whiskey sour adds Aperol for a bit of the bitter taste of defeat. Add in the baseball stitching effect and you’ve got one hell of a drink to enjoy while watching the Cardinals battle the Red Sox.   Baseball Sour Bourbon Cocktail 2 oz bourbon ¾ oz fresh squeezed lemon juice ¾ oz honey syrup* ½ oz Aperol 1 egg white Dry shake the ingredients together without ice for 30 seconds to emulsify the …

View Post

A Cherry Chocolate Bourbon Cocktail for National Liqueur Day

In Cocktails by Leave a Comment

Happy National Liqueur Day! Maybe you’re thinking, “I’m a bourbon drinker! Liqueur is not my style.” I’d ask you to give this cocktail a try. There is, after all, chocolate involved. And I promise it’s not too sweet. I used Old Weller Antique for the bourbon and I made my own Chocolate Liqueur which was very easy to make. If you don’t feel like making your own or are looking for instant gratification you could substitute your favorite brand of chocolate liqueur.  Cherry Chocolate Bourbon Cocktail 2 oz. Old Weller Antique 1/2 oz Chocolate liqueur 2 dashes Angostura Bitters Stir together in …

View Post

Fall Fashion Issue: An Old Fashioned Cocktail Perfect for Autumn

In Cocktails by Thomas Fondano1 Comment

The Old Fashioned is not so much a single cocktail as a style of cocktail. Originally, cocktail meant the drink consisted of a spirit, bitters, sugar and water. When new drinks were created with things like vermouth and absinthe, one who wanted the original style would order an “old fashioned cocktail.” While we think of it as a whiskey drink, it can really be made with any spirit. You actually could make a vodka old fashioned, but it would be rather bland and we probably wouldn’t be friends anymore.   In autumn, I like to add the seasonal flavor of apples. Cider …

View Post

Boardwalk Empire Cocktail Recipes

In Cocktails by Patrick "Pops" GarrettLeave a Comment

Our friends over at Original Penguin teamed up with the folks at MOJO bar in Leeds to create create three prohibition-inspired cocktails to celebrate the return of Boardwalk Empire. Here’s the story. Anyone who has watched Boardwalk Empire will have noticed how the show’s lead characters enjoy a cocktail or two to help unwind from all the drama going on around them. To celebrate the return of the fourth series of the hit HBO show, heritage clothing brand Original Penguin has produced three extra-special cocktails for people to enjoy in moderation as they watch the latest series. These three “new” …

View Post

Celebrate National Coffee Day with Bourbon

In Banter, Cocktails by Erin PetreyLeave a Comment

It’s Sunday morning. It’s National Coffee Day. And it’s always a great day for Bourbon.  In 2009, I went on my first tour of the Buffalo Trace Distillery in Frankfort, Kentucky. It provided all of the familiar smells of mash and oak, and the tour was fascinating as always. The end of a distillery tour is a favorite of mine, as it usually features a tasting. At Buffalo Trace, we were offered the namesake Bourbon, a sampling of white dog, and something I had never seen before: Bourbon Cream. A longtime fan of Irish Cream (in coffee, especially), I was …

View Post

Mississippi Punch Recipe

In Cocktails by Thomas FondanoLeave a Comment

Falling right between International Talk Like a Pirate Day and Miniature Golf Day, it’s National Rum Punch Day! Of course this is Bourbon & Banter, not Rum & Repartee (patent pending), so we had to make sure America’s Native Spirit was in the mix. This 19th-century punch comes to us via Jerry Thomas, the father of American mixology. (For more info on Thomas and the history of cocktails check out David Wondrich’s Imbibe!) With four ounces of booze and just a touch of lemon juice and sugar, it lives up to it’s name as a “punch.”   Mississippi Punch 2oz cognac 1oz …