View Post

National Whiskey Sour Day 2013

In Banter, Cocktails by Patrick "Pops" Garrett2 Comments

Believe it or not some people require a good reason to have a drink on a Sunday. Today’s post is for those people. Tomorrow, Sunday, August 25th is National Whiskey Sour Day. It’s a day made to celebrate this iconic and steadfast classic which traces is origin back to the days when British Navy sailors in the 1700s would add lime juice to their rum to preserve the juice and keep the sailors safe from scurvy. At its most basic, the Whisky Sour includes no more than three ingredients — bourbon, lemon juice, and simple sugar. (Four Roses Bourbon is obviously …

View Post

Stir It Up! Bourbon Cocktail Recipes

In Cocktails by Patrick "Pops" GarrettLeave a Comment

  Today’s guest blog post is courtesy of Andrea Holak from St. Louis, MO. Andrea’s treating us to two different bourbon cocktail recipes. I think they both sound fantastic but I’m a sucker for ice cream so I think I’ll have to try her second recipe first. Let us know what you think of her recipes and if we should invite her back on a regular basis. Have a great weekend everyone! [hr] Like it or not, Summer is here!  If you’re anything like me, you like to keep things simple and keep a cool beverage in your hand (and …

View Post

The Blueberry Old Fashioned Cocktail Recipe

In Cocktails by Erin PetreyLeave a Comment

Erin Petrey is our featured guest blogger today. Erin resides in Washington, D.C. but her heart is in KY. A devoted bourbon ambassador, Erin hopes to join Bourbon & Banter to help us on our mission to spread the bourbon gospel. Please check out her twist on the classic Old Fashioned below and let us know if she’s a keeper. [hr] The Old Fashioned is a classic cocktail and one of my absolute favorites. This drink has roots that reach all the way back to the beginning of the 19th century. Originally made by mixing bitters, sugar, water, and a …

View Post

Cherry Tree Anecdote Cocktail Recipe

In Cocktails by Thomas Fondano1 Comment

Featuring a guest post today from Thomas Fondano from Portland, OR. Thomas writes a booze blog and would love to contribute to Bourbon & Banter on a regular basis. Try out his recipe and let us know if you’d like to see more from Thomas over the next few months. I CANNOT TELL A LIE… I love my bourbon neat, but on a really hot day, I want something a little more refreshing. Summer means a lot of great fruit is in season, and right now that includes cherries. Cherries and bourbon pair well together whether in desserts or in the …

View Post

The Red Headed Stranger Cocktail Recipe

In Cocktails by 1 Comment

  I’m married to a red head and have a red headed daughter so the title of this cocktail definitely got my attention. Submitted by Rachel Dean (a.k.a. Ginny Tonic) as her sample contributor blog post, I think it makes a nice addition to our line up of bourbon cocktail recipes. Check it out and let us know if you think Ginny’s got what it takes to represent Cincinnati and become a regular contributor to Bourbon & Banter. [hr] It was a very rainy 4th of July in my part of the country and as the day wore on it …

View Post

Cherry Smash Bourbon Cocktail Recipe

In Cocktails by Patrick "Pops" GarrettLeave a Comment

  Christelle Lachapelle is our guest blog contributor today all the way from Voluntown, CT. She’s sharing a refreshing summer cocktail recipe with us that features on of her favorite bourbons, Bulleit. Her “obsession” with bourbon may be relatively new but she isn’t letting that hold her back from learning everything she can and sharing it with your family and friends. Since we’re all about spreading the bourbon gospel here at Bourbon & Banter I’m happy to share Christelle’s recipe with everyone. Have a look and let us know in the comments what you think of the recipe and Christelle’s …

View Post

Basil Hayden’s Bourbon Cocktail Recipe
The Spicy Brown Blinker

In Cocktails by Patrick "Pops" Garrett1 Comment

Basil Hayden’s remains one of my everyday “go to” bourbons when I’m in the mood for something light and spicy. And in the middle of summer that’s more often than not. Knowing that many of you turn to bourbon cocktails when the weather gets hot, I thought I’d share with you a recipe that Basil Hayden’s sent my way a few weeks ago. This one is a twist on not one, but two, classic bourbon cocktails – the Blinker and the Brown Derby and is aptly named  the Basil Hayden’s Spicy Brown Blinker. Louisville’s own Marie Zahn created this recipe …

View Post

Strawberry Beret Drink Recipe by Joel Burton

In Cocktails by Patrick "Pops" GarrettLeave a Comment

[box type=”info” border=”full”]Competition Update: We just learned that Joel took 3rd place in the competition. Congrats to Joel and the others for a job well done.[/box] As everyone knows I’m not a big cocktail drinker, but when I do find myself drinking one it’s got to be made from bourbon. So when Four Roses invited me to visit a local St. Louis restaurant to enjoy a new craft cocktail featuring Four Roses bourbon and some small plates I couldn’t resist. Here’s the setup… Local St. Louis bartender , Joel Burton who works at Taste,  recently won the right to participate …

View Post

Wild Turkey Cocktail Recipes – Tax Day Edition

In Cocktails by Patrick "Pops" GarrettLeave a Comment

Last week I received an email from the fine folks at Wild Turkey that contained not only some Wild Turkey cocktail recipes, but also the following opening line. Legendary whiskey aficionado Benjamin Franklin once said, “The only things certain in life are death and taxes.” On Tax Day, sit back and enjoy what Uncle Sam simply can’t touch – the smooth taste of bourbon, courtesy of a delicious Wild Turkey bourbon cocktail.  Now . . .  if you owe the government money just have Wild Turkey 101 on the rocks. Those who know their bourbon history realize that Uncle Sam has …