View Post

Heads & Tails: I Wouldn’t Wish For It Edition

In Banter, Drink News, Heads & Tails, Industry News by Steve CoomesLeave a Comment

Ever played this whiskey dork game? You go to a bar or restaurant and rapid-survey the bottles while thinking, “Had it. Haven’t. Have it. Hate it.” When I looked at this list of 20 top-selling whiskeys in the U.S., I added a new response. “Who drinks that?” I like several brands on this list, but I prefer their higher-proof siblings. But dang, does that mean those who spend less to drink softer spirits actually Southern Comfort—which is No. 15 on the list? I don’t even recall seeing a bottle of SoCo outside of the press sample I got a year or so ago. And Skrewball lands at No. 14? And here it comes … Who drinks that? A Heaven Hill employee I know once said to me, “I can’t believe they bought Black Velvet!” Well, look closer, hoser, it’s the 13th-most popular whiskey in the U.S. (Far as my Black Velvet score: Haven’t had it.)

View Post

Heads & Tails: Are Single Barrels Illegal Edition

In Banter, Drink News, Heads & Tails, Industry News by Steve CoomesLeave a Comment

That’s the growing concern at Kentucky distilleries, where thousands of whiskey fans sample whiskeys from thousands of barrels every year. The news first came from WhiskeyCast operator Mark Gillespie, who’d learned that “private pick” programs—which distilleries have run for many years—was clearly outside Kentucky’s current tasting laws. Click here to read his thorough story. As you’d imagine, Kentucky Distillers’ Association is busy urging lawmakers to reconfigure tasting laws favorably and quickly. We’ve seen no official count on single barrels sold in Kentucky, but given what do know, it’s somewhere south of 10,000. Whatever that number is when multiplied by an average bottles-per-barrel yield of 170, and the total sales number is somewhere around 1.5 million bottles, give or take. And while we’re at it, let’s price those 1.5 million bottles at a conservative $40 each to come up with $60 million in sales.