View Post

Chivas Regal Mizunara Special Edition Review

In Scotch Whisky News by Paul NeedhamLeave a Comment

While this, to me, is a poor man’s Japanese Harmony (which I also reviewed for Bourbon and Banter), it is not without its intrigue. If you research the use of Mizunara in whisky, you’ll find quite a bit of disdain for what Chivas is doing here. People say that the qualities that Japanese oak imparts on whisky can’t be rushed by using it as a “finishing” technique. While not being an expert on either whisky finishing or the qualities of woods that are grown half a world away, I think I respectfully disagree.

View Post

Woodford Reserve Introduces Kentucky Straight Wheat Whiskey

In Wheat Whiskey News by Patrick "Pops" Garrett5 Comments

Available in US and global markets, Woodford Reserve Wheat is based on historical recipes but influenced by the iconic core Woodford Reserve Bourbon brand. With wheat as the dominant grain – at 52 percent, followed by malt (20%), corn (20%) and rye (8%) – this whiskey was created by renowned Master Distiller Chris Morris.

“After Prohibition, the federal government permitted four styles of American straight whiskey, each with a different majority grain – bourbon, rye, wheat and malt,” Morris said. “Woodford Reserve now has all four whiskeys as part of its permanent family of brands – Woodford Bourbon, Woodford Rye, Woodford Malt and now Woodford Wheat.”