View Post

Roaming Man Tennessee Straight Rye Whiskey Review

In Rye Whiskey News by Matt SelfLeave a Comment

I was skeptical of a whiskey produced by a company that primarily peddles flavored moonshine. Despite the beautiful packaging, when I read the label I was still a skeptic. The smaller barrel size and air dried staves certainly lend to the earthy oak profile that is just slightly out of balance for me with the lower rye mash bill and sweeter Tennessee whiskey flavor. Although the offset is well-intentioned and designed, I think this whiskey could stand to age in a full-sized 53-gallon barrel for 6-8 years with a better result. I’m perplexed by this whiskey.

View Post

Bardstown Bourbon Company and Copper & Kings Release “Collabor&tion” Rare Release Bourbon

In Industry News, New Brand Releases by Patrick "Pops" GarrettLeave a Comment

Bardstown, KY (September 13, 2017) – The Bardstown Bourbon Company (“BBCo”) and Copper & Kings American Brandy Company (“C&K”) announced today the release of “Collabor&tion,” two distinct products made with 10-year-old straight bourbon whiskey – one finished in Copper & Kings’ American Brandy barrels and the other in Muscat Mistelle barrels, for more than 18 months in the Copper & Kings basement maturation cellar. The project is intended to embody the spirit of friendship and partnership, and celebrates great craftsmen working together to produce exceptional products as kindred spirits.

View Post

BUFFALO TRACE DISTILLERY OPENS NEW E. H. TAYLOR TOUR, INCLUDES “BOURBON POMPEII”

In Industry News by Patrick "Pops" GarrettLeave a Comment

Buffalo Trace Distillery kicks off its long-awaited tour to its famous “Bourbon Pompeii” on Monday, August 7th, 2017. Officially called the E. H. Taylor Tour, the tour will visit three sites at this National Historic Landmark Distillery, two of which have not been open to the public for touring previously. The tour will visit the Old Taylor House, a small white house built in the 1790s, which is the oldest house in Franklin County. Built by Commodore Richard Taylor, E. H. Taylor’s great-grandfather, the Old Taylor House has been a residence, a small hospital and a laboratory. After it had sat vacant for a number of years, Buffalo Trace restored it a few years ago and now uses it for internal meeting space. It has not been open to the public for touring until now.

View Post

Buffalo Trace Distillery Experiments with 300-Year-Old Oak

In Industry News by Patrick "Pops" GarrettLeave a Comment

As part of its latest endeavor in experimentation, Buffalo Trace Distillery is experimenting with barrels made of 300-year-old wood. This venture is one of many wood-specific experiments that the Distillery has led. Previous wood experiments have utilized wood harvested from around the world, analyzed the differences between barrels created from different parts of the tree and many more. This experiment, however, will allow the team at Buffalo Trace to observe what effects the age of an oak tree itself could have on the taste of the bourbon.

View Post

Introducing The Whiskey Barons Collection

In Bourbon News by Patrick "Pops" Garrett11 Comments

The Whiskey Barons Collection is an ambitious undertaking to honor and recreate historically significant Bourbons that were lost after Prohibition. Our mission is to resurrect these remarkable spirits so current and future generations of whiskey lovers can taste history while giving back to the Kentucky community that sparked so much Bourbon lore. Though most of the original recipes and distilling techniques have been lost to the ravages of time, we are painstakingly piecing together these lost gems with the help of living members of these noble distilling families, historic records, tasting notes, and talented distillers.