View Post

Buffalo Trace 2021 George T. Stagg Non-Release Review

In Banter, Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Erin Petrey4 Comments

Every year, I wait longingly for the release of the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection, praying to snag just one bottle. This set of five ultra premium, highly prized whiskeys from Buffalo Trace garners a wild-eyed, cash-throwing frenzy from bourbon collectors and flippers alike. Many see George T. Stagg as the crown jewel in this esteemed quintet, snagging the top spot on many bourbon-centric listicles. Not only that, the illustrious juice has garnered a gilded and star-studded bouquet of medals from every whiskey awards under the sun, so you know it has to be good.

View Post

Watershed Distillery Bourbon Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by David LevineLeave a Comment

I tried this after tasting the Watershed Bottled-in-Bond, figuring the apple brandy might taint my palate in a way a straight bourbon wouldn’t. Unfortunately, it didn’t matter. Even after three tries, I just couldn’t find much flavor here. The apple brandy influence is way, way in the back, and adding additional straight bourbon into the blend diminishes the point of using the brandy barrels in the first place. I’m not sure if this needs more age, less age, more proof, less proof, fewer barrels, or something else, but the baseline needs more tinkering.

View Post

Watershed Bottled In Bond Bourbon Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by David LevineLeave a Comment

For my first taste of Watershed Distillery, this was a solid if unspectacular bottled-in-bond bourbon. It doesn’t have many youth notes and is more apple- and rye-forward (though the mash bill is undisclosed), and I found it a great mixer for a Manhattan or a less-sweet Gold Rush, as the honey and apple notes elevate each other. As a neat pour, the black pepper can easily overpower the rest of the flavors. A tight nose opens with just a hint of dark honey and savory apples. Black pepper and cider power the taste, with oak and spice lingering on the finish. Applewood joins the nose after some air as does roasted corn.

View Post

Cask & Kettle Hard Coffee Cocktails Review

In Bottled Cocktails, Cocktails by Erin PetreyLeave a Comment

The folks at Cask & Kettle are self-proclaimed “hot drink and cocktail lovers.” This affinity led them to create 5 flavors of pre-mixed cocktail pods that only require adding water. In partnership with Temperance Distilling, each pod is equipped with coffee concentrate, booze, and flavoring to craft a cocktail that is ready in no time. Cask & Kettle cocktails come in Irish Coffee, Spiked Dry Cider, Mint Patty Coffee, Hot Blonde Coffee, and Mexican Coffee and range in ABV from 50-76 proof (25-38% ABV). Each are spiked with vodka (with the exception of the Irish Coffee, which also uses Irish Whiskey, and the Mexican Coffee which also uses Tequila).

View Post

Blue Run Golden Rye Whiskey Review

In Rye Whiskey Reviews by Erin PetreyLeave a Comment

This is Blue Run’s inaugural rye release schedule to debut on September 6, 2021 – a sourced Kentucky straight rye whiskey. I found this rye to have a super cool funk on the palate with a very heavy note of sorghum sugar, which has a distinct earthy, sweet flavor. For those who are unfamiliar, sorghum is a sweet cereal grain and the plant produces a sap that is then evaporated and jarred as a natural sweetener. The sweetness of this rye makes it a great option for bourbon lovers who are on the fence about rye.

View Post

The Holmes Cay Single Origin Edition Fiji Rum Review

In Rum Reviews by Jim KnudsenLeave a Comment

The Holmes Cay Fiji Rum – Single Origin Edition is a blend of lightly aged molasses-based pot and column still rum from South Pacific Distilleries in Lautoka, Fiji. Holmes Cay founder Eric Kaye, in collaboration with the hosts of the Rumcast podcast, chose this exceptional, unadulterated blend to introduce to US spirits lovers in a 2260-bottle limited edition. This honest rum has no sugar, no color and no other flavors added in distillation or in blending.

View Post

Old Forester’s Next Release in the 117 Series

In Bourbon News by Patrick "Pops" Garrett1 Comment

Old Forester Distilling Co. announces the release of the second expression in the 117 Series — a blend of barrels from historic Warehouse K. The 117 Series is a limited-expression lineup created in Spring 2021, directed by the unique palate of Old Forester Master Taster Jackie Zykan. 117 Series: Warehouse K features a blend of barrels aged on different floors from a warehouse known to produce exceptional liquid. Constructed in 1953, Warehouse K uses the time-honored tradition of heat-cycling and has long been one of Old Forester’s favorite places for Single Barrel expressions.

View Post

Swilled Dog Spirits Bourbon and Rye Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews, Rye Whiskey Reviews by Lee StangLeave a Comment

This is my favorite of the Swilled Dog whiskies I tried. Yes I do like a good finished bourbon. This cask strength finished bourbon is excellent. It reminded me of a cherry pie with a dab of vanilla bean ice cream and some moonshine cherries. The bourbon is sourced and finished in Oloroso sherry casks that Swilled Dog sourced from Spain. The bourbon was finished in North Carolina. I enjoyed this immensely.