View Post

Four Roses Single Barrel Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Patrick "Pops" GarrettLeave a Comment

  Editor’s Note: Alan Mitnick is our guest blogger today with his Four Roses Single Barrel review. As with our other Help Wanted applicants we ask that you share your thoughts on his post in the comments as well as online where you can find Alan at @AlanMitnick.   Author’s Note: This review was written first by hand using my pen whose barrel is made from old oak taken from a refitting of the USS Constitution—“Old Ironsides.” Bourbon barrels, perhaps surprisingly to some, is not the only good use of this mighty wood. I thought this pairing to be appropriate. In choosing a …

View Post

J. Henry & Sons Wisconsin Straight Bourbon Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Jeffrey Schwartz2 Comments

Is J. Henry & Sons Wisconsin Straight Bourbon is the best bourbon you’ve never heard of?

Most bourbon fans have noticed an explosion in the craft distillery market these last few years with an influx of pricey bourbons with tall tales as backstories. Some of these craft bourbons offer something legitimately new, while others simply purchased bourbon from other sources with a new label slapped on it.

View Post

Four Roses Yellow Label Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Patrick "Pops" GarrettLeave a Comment

Editor’s Note: Jeanne Runkle is our guest blogger today with her Four Roses Yellow Label review. As with our other Help Wanted applicants we ask that you share your thoughts on her post in the comments as well as online where you can find Jeanne at @LikeYourLiquor and JeanneRunkle.com.   Budget Bourbon – great taste or great waste? Sometimes, you break out the good stuff. You sit down, you get your favorite Glencairn glass out, and you sip the night away. You might add a little water, maybe a single ice-cube, but nothing else. For me, those are usually the over $50 bottles. You sip, …

View Post

Woodford Reserve Master’s Collection 1838 White Corn Review

In American Whiskey Reviews by Matt EvansLeave a Comment

Woodford Reserve’s latest Master’s Collection expression, its 10th such annual release, is the 1838 Style White Corn. With a limited release of only 30,000 bottles worldwide, the WRMC hit shelves in select markets in November 2015. Master Distiller Chris Morris, via Woodford Reserve, says the 1838 Style White Corn is meant to pay homage to Oscar Pepper and James Crow, who used the more readily available white corn in their mashbill. Pepper and Crow worked their magic over 160 years ago at the same location in Versailles, Kentucky, where Woodford Reserve is distilled today. 1838 Style White Corn uses the …

View Post

Four Roses Super Premium Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Patrick "Pops" GarrettLeave a Comment

Editor’s Note: Joshua Heitsch is our guest blogger today with his Four Roses Super Premium review. As with our other Help Wanted applicants we ask that you share your thoughts on his post in the comments. If you want to know a little more about Joshua check out his Detroit Bourbon website.    When I first received notice that I had been selected to write a piece for Bourbon & Banter, my initial excitement almost lead me to drop everything I was doing, pouring a glass of Bourbon, and firing up the laptop.  It was then that I started thinking though.  Should I …

View Post

A Midwinter Nights Dram Review

In Rye Whiskey Reviews by Patrick "Pops" Garrett1 Comment

Editor’s Note: Billy Usrey is our guest blogger today with his High West “A Midwinter Nights Dram” review. As with our other Help Wanted applicants we ask that you share your thoughts on his post in the comments as well as online where you can find Billy at @busrey.    What to drink on a blizzardy night here in North Carolina? So much to choose from but one bottle stands out as appropriate–High West’s “A Midwinter Nights Dram®.” Being originally from Kentucky I begrudgingly admit liking High West products. Can someone other than Kentucky distilleries make bourbon and rye whiskeys? Okay, deep breath, it’s only …

View Post

Isaiah Morgan Small Batch Bourbon Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Patrick "Pops" GarrettLeave a Comment

Editor’s Note: Amy Prunty is our guest blogger today with her Isiah Morgan Small Batch bourbon review. As with our other Help Wanted applicants we ask that you share your thoughts on her post in the comments as well as online where you can find Amy at @mountaineers64 or @Mountaineers64.    Being a West-By-God-Virginian, I wanted my first review for Bourbon and Banter to be for a West Virginia bourbon. Face it Kentuckians, we ain’t so different. Time to put the feudin’ behind us. Both of our homes have fallen on hard times, and while the Bluegrass state is combatting coal declines with bourbon and horse tourism, …

View Post

Rebellion Bourbon Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Luke CastleLeave a Comment

These days it is getting more and more difficult to figure out what to try when you are feeling a little adventurous in the Bourbon aisle. There is the temptation to go back to the brands and bottles you know and love. They call your name and you think of all the great times you’ve had together. Then you see something new. A work of art for a label; a bottle design that you assume costs more than the liquid inside. You want to try it but in the back of your mind you worry about the risk that the …

View Post

Woodford Reserve Double Double Oaked Bourbon Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Patrick "Pops" GarrettLeave a Comment

Editor’s Note: Continuing our Help Wanted applicant guest posts today by featuring Josh Zeller’s review of Woodford Reserve Double Double Oaked bourbon. Make sure to find him online at @j_zizzle14  and let him know what you thought of his review. And if you’ve ever tried this one yourself make sure to let us know your opinion in the comments below the post.  Woodford Reserve is another proud whiskey brought to you by the fine folks at Brown Forman. Woodford Reserve is their flagship bourbon and is known as a premium bourbon, which many bourbon and whiskey enthusiasts can always enjoy. Until the last …