View Post

Woodford Reserve Double Oaked Bourbon Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Patrick "Pops" Garrett11 Comments

Recently Woodford Reserve released a new expression called Woodford Reserve Double Oaked.  It’s their first expression in over 15 years and I’m happy to report that they’ve done a wonderful job with their newest addition. But before we get into my tasting notes I think we need to provide a little explanation of just what “double oaked” means. Here’s what they have to say over on Woodford’s website: “An innovative approach to twice-barreled bourbon creates the rich and colorful flavor of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. Uniquely matured in separate, charred oak barrels – the second barrel deeply toasted before a …

View Post

Jim Beam Devil’s Cut | Bourbon Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Patrick "Pops" Garrett2 Comments

“As bourbon ages, a portion of the liquid is lost from the barrel due to evaporation—that’s the “Angel’s Share.” After aging, when the bourbon is dumped out of the barrel, a certain amount of whiskey is left trapped within the wood of every barrel.  We call that the “devil’s cut.” So goes the explanation of the Devil’s Cut name per the brand’s Jim Beam website. Whether or not you chalk the name up to clever marketing or bourbon inspired genius (I believe the latter, btw) Devil’s Cut is a bourbon that you shouldn’t overlook when looking for something new to try. This …

View Post

Elijah Craig 18-Year-Old Single Barrel | Bourbon Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Patrick "Pops" Garrett6 Comments

What comes to mind when you think of 18-years old? I suspect that many of you think about pseudo-mature teenagers who are still living off their parents in desperate need of a few more years of growing up and maturation. (If “18-year old” conjured up anything less pure in nature we won’t judge you but please remember this isn’t “that kind” of website.) When talking about the Elijah Craig 18-Year-Old Single Barrel Bourbon I can tell you that it’s anything but immature. No sir! There’s nothing in this bourbon that screams out “hide your car keys and lock your liquor …

View Post

Four Roses Limited Edition 2011 Bourbon Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Patrick "Pops" Garrett7 Comments

Fair warning folks, this is my first ever official bourbon review. Or should I say, my first ever bourbon review put down on paper. Because you know darn well that I’ve tasted my fair share of bourbons and haven’t been shy is sharing my opinion verbally. So let’s just call this the first “official” review so we can get on with things.

As I write this review, I’m not entirely sure that the world really needs another person cranking out bourbon reviews. After all, there are plenty of great websites with detailed and methodical reviews telling you more than you’ve ever wanted to know about a specific bourbon. And besides, I don’t have the patience to be detailed and methodical.