View Post

Concannon Irish Whiskey Review

In Irish Whiskey Reviews by Patrick "Pops" GarrettLeave a Comment

Before anyone fires an email off to me about the fact I’m featuring an Irish whiskey on a bourbon website, please consider these facts: I spent 2 long days drinking bourbon at the Century Bar this past weekend in Dayton, OH. If you have no idea what that means, please check out this photo. St. Patrick’s Day is coming up, part of my family is from Ireland and my name is Patrick. I think I’ve not only earned the right to taste something a little lighter and different, but I think it’s only fitting, based on my heritage and upcoming …

View Post

Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve Bourbon Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Patrick "Pops" Garrett6 Comments

The weather in St. Louis this past week has been pretty crappy. Lot’s of ice and snow. Based on what I’ve heard about Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve, I decided it might just be the perfect bourbon to review for the site and to fend off the cold Winter winds. Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve is the single barrel version of Beam’s Knob Creek bourbon, one of four Bourbons that makeup Beam’s Small Batch Bourbon Collection. (Basil Hayden’s, Baker’s and Booker’s round out the Small Batch Collection.) Here’s what the Knob Creek website has to say about their single barrel version: …

View Post

Bulleit Bourbon 10 Year Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Patrick "Pops" GarrettLeave a Comment

Bulleit Bourbon has always been one of my favorites. It’s easy to drink, priced right and has a nice story surrounding the brand and its founder, Tom Bulleit. In fact, I like it so much that it’s one of the Bourbons I usually recommend to folks who are looking to try something beyond the “entry level” Maker’s Mark. The fact that you can’t walk into a bar these days without spying Bulleit’s distinctive frontier bottle is further proof that Bulleit Bourbon is a clear favorite among Bourbon drinkers.

View Post

Wild Turkey Bourbon Drink Recipes

In Cocktails by Patrick "Pops" Garrett1 Comment

Are you still looking for a few Bourbon inspired drink recipes to fuel your Super Bowl party? We’ve got a few Wild Turkey Bourbon drink recipes to share today courtesy of the folks over at Wild Turkey. We haven’t had a chance to test any of these out so let us know what you think if you give one a try. I’m particularly interested in someone trying the Give em the Bird Blitz Recipe since it contains “fig jam”. Here’s to everyone having a great Super Bowl Sunday. Cheers!   Give em the Bird Blitz 1 tablespoon fig jam 1½ …

View Post

Baker’s Bourbon Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Patrick "Pops" Garrett2 Comments

This was my first time tasting Baker’s, as it was never really on my radar before receiving some samples from Beam. I’d read a lot of mixed reviews on Baker’s so I wasn’t sure what to expect. Some people say it’s a great Bourbon for Cognac lovers while others have stated it took them 3 or more tastings, on separate occasions, before they decided the really enjoyed Baker’s. Not exactly the type of endorsements that make you rush out a grab a bottle for your personal collection.

View Post

Basil Hayden’s Bourbon Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Patrick "Pops" Garrett4 Comments

Now that 2013 is well under way I thought I should get back into the swing of things and start posting some Bourbon reviews. To kick things off we’re featuring a Basil Hayden’s Bourbon review for your reading pleasure. Many of you are probably already familiar with Basil Hayden’s, but for those who are new to the brand I encourage you read on and learn about this under-rated gem of a Bourbon.

Basil Hayden’s is one of four Bourbons that make up Beam’s Small Batch Bourbon Collection. Baker’s, Knob Creek and Booker’s round out the Small Batch Collection with Basil Hayden’s being the lightest of the four Bourbons coming in at 80 proof, which makes it a fantastic Bourbon for those who are new to Bourbon and want to take a measured approach to their tasting journey.

View Post

Hudson Baby Bourbon Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Patrick "Pops" Garrett9 Comments

About 2 months ago I attended a whiskey tasting at The Wine & Cheese Place in St. Louis featuring Tuthilltown Spirits Hudson Whiskey line.  The tasting was led by Tuthilltown’s very own Gable Erenzo – the son of the founder and the brand’s leading ambassador.  Over the course of the evening, we sampled the entire Hudson Whiskey line which consisted of their New York Corn Whiskey, Baby Bourbon, Four Grain Bourbon, Manhattan Rye and Single Malt Whiskey.  I know what your thinking and yes, it was hard work. Very hard work! I headed into the tasting eager to try the …

View Post

Boardwalk Empire Premiere Inspired Prohibition-Era Cocktails

In Cocktails by Patrick "Pops" GarrettLeave a Comment

I received an email from our friends over at Campari featuring some prohibition-era cocktails inspired by the upcoming Boardwalk Empire Premiere on HBO. I’ve seen the show a few times and enjoyed it but I don’t have HBO at this time so I’ll be missing the premiere. That doesn’t mean though that I won’t give one or two of these cocktail recipes a try. Let us know if you try them out and make sure to tell us which one was your favorite. Old PalCreated by Cocktail Enthusiast 1 1/2 oz. Wild Turkey 81 Rye Whiskey3/4 oz. dry vermouth3/4 oz. …