View Post

The Dark Knight, Wild Turkey & Jimmy Russell

In Cocktails by Patrick "Pops" Garrett6 Comments

About a week or so ago I was fortunate enough to attend a Wild Turkey tasting dinner at Blood and Sand, a St. Louis dining club. The dinner was absolutely amazing. Each course was paired with a different cocktail featuring one of Wild Turkey’s bourbons or ryes.  After 4 stunning courses of food I had consumed at least 5 cocktails with a healthy dose of whiskey in each. To say that I was enjoying myself would be an understatement. Despite how good the food was it wasn’t my favorite part of the evening. The best part was that we were …

View Post

W. H. Harrison Governor’s Reserve Bourbon Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Patrick "Pops" Garrett6 Comments

Let’s play a quick round of word association. When I say, “William Henry Harrison” what immediately comes to your mind? President of the United States? Governor of the Indiana Territory? General? Congressman? Namesake of the first modern-day bourbon out of Indiana? Bet you didn’t know that last one, did you? Be honest. If you hadn’t read the title of this review odds are you wouldn’t have known that W. H. Harrison Governor’s Reserve barrel proof bourbon was the first modern-day bourbon to come from Indiana.  W. H. Harrison Governor’s Reserve bourbon is distilled by Tipton Spirits which was founded by …

View Post

Call For July 4th Bourbon Cocktails

In Banter, Cocktails by Patrick "Pops" Garrett4 Comments

Today is the last day of the work week for me as I was lucky enough to get a few days off at they July 4h holiday. I’m working on some major projects for the blog and I hope that a few days off will allow me to focus on them a bit more than usual. I suppose there’s the chance that I’ll loose focus once the bourbon starts to flow this evening but I guess that’s not a bad thing either. Before things go off the rails I’d like to know what bourbon concoctions you have planned for your …

View Post

Jefferson’s Ocean-Aged Bourbon Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Patrick "Pops" Garrett3 Comments

Update: Here’s an update on where Jefferson’s Ocean-Aged Bourbon was released. “Tonight is a good night. No. Tonight is a great night!” That’s what was running through my head as I sat down to write my Jefferson’s Ocean-Aged Bourbon Review. I was, in all honesty, as excited as a grade schooler watching the minute hand on a clock wind down the final minutes til Summer vacation. I was finally going to taste the almost mythical Jefferson’s Ocean-Aged Bourbon. The bourbon that has  occupied my mind ever since I heard rumors of it last year. Jefferson’s “Ridiculously Small Batch” bourbons have always …

View Post

Wild Turkey American Honey & A Beautiful Redhead

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews, Cocktails by Patrick "Pops" GarrettLeave a Comment

What does Wild Turkey American Honey have in common with a beautiful redhead?  That’s a good question. Lucky for you I’m going to answer that question and share one hell of a recipe for some summer sipping bourbon iced tea. Take a seat and let me begin my story… Meet Kate. She’s the beautiful redhead I’m talking about. 13 years ago this weekend she did me the honor of becoming my wife and partner in crime.  While it was obvious I was marrying well above my pay grade, I had no idea just how amazing the next 13 years would …

View Post

Benromach 21 Year Whisky Review

In Angel's Portion, Scotch Whiskey Reviews by Leave a Comment

Scanning the shelves of my favorite shop, my eyes beheld only the familiars, those I had seen so many times before. It was late. I was tired. I stopped in on the way home from a hospital visit, taking the chance that the proprietor, my friend Tony, would have a surprise in waiting. Finding nothing, in my downcast exhaustion, I decided on a familiar highland single malt, called for Tony, and then made my way to the register while reaching into my pocket to retrieve the sum total of my “Squirrel Fund” (which is the secret stash I keep hidden year ’round, feeding it every so often with single dollars and loose change).

View Post

Breckenridge Bourbon Whiskey Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Patrick "Pops" Garrett5 Comments

As we’re all aware, bourbon by law, does not have to be made in Kentucky. I know that many of you feel differently but the sake of my review I’d appreciate it if you could all simmer down and play by the rules for the next 5 minutes.  This geography lesson is important because Breckenridge Bourbon is made in Breckenridge, CO – at 9,600 ft above sea level. How’s that for a change of pace? Breckenridge Bourbon Whiskey is made from a high-rye mash bill mixed with Rocky Mountain snowmelt into a traditional open-top Scottish fermenter and then distilled using …