View Post

Brookstone Iced Mule Mug Review

In Drinking Accessory Reviews by Jim KnudsenLeave a Comment

OK, I will admit, I am a gadget guy. Having a technical background I am fascinated by new ideas and clever devices. Also, since people know I’m a spirits guy when people look to gift me, it is not unusual to get some booze related stuff. That is how I ended up with the Brookstone Iced Mule Mug. Watching a neighbor’s pooch for the weekend, a nice little gift as a thank you (Thanks Jon and Jin).

View Post

Straight Bourbon Book Review

In Book Reviews by Leave a Comment

It was apparent when picking this book up that it was constructed and published using great thought, care, and quality materials. The thickness of the individual pages make for a hefty book, which coincidentally is not far off from a freshly sealed bottle of bourbon, and labeled just as handsomely by the way. The rich hues of browns, oranges, and copper that adorn the cover art all provide a glimpse of what you will see once you start turning the pages.

With sections simply titled Copper, Grains And Mills, and Barrels, Peachee lets us in on what she considers the most important components of our distilling heritage and the process that was, and still is in many instances, used in the distillation of bourbon. She backs it up with spectacular, yet unassuming photos of everything involved, from the initial welding to the finished barrels on their way to the distiller.

View Post

Rum Curious Book Review

In Book Reviews by Brett AtlasLeave a Comment

The whiskey bubble, in addition to fostering alternative universes of stupidity, has also inspired significantly more people to sharply focus on whiskey’s history and craftsmanship. Fred Minnick has emerged as a central educational figure, publishing essential books like Bourbon Curious and Bourbon: The Rise, Fall and Rebirth of an American Whiskey.

He is constantly tasting, engaging the community and writing. Minnick thinks the next spirits category to take off could very well be rum and, whether he’s correct or not, you’ll be glad you read this book.

View Post

Corridor Bar Review

In Drinking Accessory Reviews by Patrick "Pops" GarrettLeave a Comment

It all started innocently enough. You and a few friends took a trip to Kentucky to visit the Bourbon Trail and on the way back you decided to stock up on a few bottles of bourbon that you couldn’t buy locally. It was only six bottles. Six bottles that you were able to easily slip into the kitchen cabinet where you stored your mostly used bottles of vodka, tequila, and Captain Morgan. It all fit easily. Nothing to worry about.

Six months later you find yourself lining up bottles of bourbon on top of your counter, pushed to the back, trying to keep them out of the way of daily kitchen duties. What was once six easily hidden bottles of bourbon has morphed into a budding collection of roughly 15 bottles with various fill levels. The countertop storage provides quick and easy access to your booze but others who come by for a visit are a bit concerned at the ever increasing line-up of whiskey competing for counter space. No problem. You’ll just go buy yourself an Ikea bookshelf to hold your bourbon so it’s “out of the way”. Nothing to worry about.