View Post

The Whiskey Affair London

In Events by Patrick "Pops" GarrettLeave a Comment

“It’s like a beer festival…but with whiskey, and cocktails!”

We’re heading to The Brewhouse for the first time with
over 75 brands of scotch, bourbon and whiskey for you
to fall in love with. Cocktails, live music, free samples
from brands, free masterclasses and FUN! Come and join us!

View Post

Parker’s Legacy of Hope

In Events by Brett AtlasLeave a Comment

Join emcee Fred Minnick and other legends of the industry at Mint Julep Tours Headquarters (1631 Mellwood Avenue) in Louisville to reminisce about Parker, enjoy food, fun and of course a complementary tasting of several extraordinary Bourbons. There will be a number of spectacular auction items as well, including a behind-the-scenes tour of Heaven Hill with Master Distiller Denny Potter! All of this for the reasonable ticket price of $150, and all profits will be donated to the Promise of Hope Fund.

View Post

The Alleycat Lounge

In Bars by Lee StangLeave a Comment

When you hear a bartender say “This is a place I go to for good drinks,” you listen. On a recent trip to Savannah, GA we heard these words while sitting in a scotch bar (they had a relatively nice bourbon selection as well) near City Market. That is why at ten minutes to five, the next evening we were standing outside the doors to The Alley Cat Lounge, waiting for it to open. We were not the only ones.

Photo of The Alleycat Lounge EntranceYes, the entrance is actually in an alley. Go down the stairs, and it opens into a nice, small, cozy space with bar, booths and tables and a room for larger parties. It doesn’t hold a lot of people, about 70 or 80, I believe, and it didn’t take long to fill up. The term “speakeasy” gets used too much these days, and The Alleycat Lounge has been referred as such. Maybe because of the old brick walls and basement location. But what a great atmosphere.

View Post

You Need to Meet… Ed Bley from Cork ‘N Bottle

In On The Road by Brett AtlasLeave a Comment

e’s been called “The Nicest Guy In Whiskey,” and my very first experience with Ed Bley, Spirits and Beer Manager for Kentucky’s Cork ‘N Bottle (CNB), certainly supports that title. Last year, Ed reached out to send a few samples of CNB’s barrel picks for me to try. Not only did I receive several large sample bottles, but he also tossed in a full bottle of his latest Four Roses pick!

I’ve been noticing common threads among successful individuals in whiskey, and it largely involves a focus on the customer experience. Like Distillery 291’s Michael Myers, Ed was once an award-winning chef. Like Base Camp’s Ryan Geller, Ed was formally educated in the hospitality business. “It was a good base and got me into recognizing flavors,” he says. Who else would equate the nose on a glass of Bourbon with the arrangement on a dinner plate?