View Post

Southern Whiskey Society Event

In Events by Patrick "Pops" GarrettLeave a Comment

If you love food and whiskey then Southern Whiskey Society is the event for you. Experience 30+ different Southern whiskeys plus delicious tasting dishes from 9 of the South’s most talented chefs. SWS will serve as the first official public tasting for Kentucky Owl Batch 7. Dixon Dedman will personally be pouring Batch 7 for guests during the VIP hour. Other special VIP hour tastings will include Four Roses Al Young 50th Anniversary and Four Roses 2016 Small Batch Limited Edition.

View Post

You Need to Meet… Michael Myers at Distillery 291

In Distilleries by Brett AtlasLeave a Comment

It’s hard to draw any other conclusion after hearing Michael Myers’ incredible journey from New York photographer to the founder of one of the most decorated craft distillers in the world, Colorado Springs’ Distillery 291. All along the way, the signs guided him toward his calling- not merely as a producer of whiskey, but as a true artist of flavor. It all began in his Georgia dorm room at Savannah College of Art and Design, where he studied photography. While sipping on the Jack Daniel’s that was distilled just miles from his childhood farm in Tennessee; he became fascinated with Alfred Stieglitz’s famous early 1900’s art gallery called “291”, which elevated photography to the same stature as painting and sculpture. And by the way, his dorm room number also happened to be room 291.

View Post

2017 New Orleans Bourbon Festival Recap

In Events by Leave a Comment

Let’s get the obvious reason of why I wanted to go The New Orleans Bourbon Festival, bourbon of course (and lots of it to be exact). 83 different kinds of bourbon were featured at this event from companies like Bulleit, Buffalo Trace, Jim Beam, Makers Mark, Old Forester, Wild Turkey, Heaven Hill, Yellowstone & Woodford Reserve.

Being that I have never have been to New Orleans before, I thought it was an opportunity to check it off my bucket list, but going also fits into my motto “you have bourbon & I will travel.”

I was also excited to see several of my favorite bourbon industry leaders in attendance -Fred B. Noe, Eddie Russell, Trey Zoeller, Michael Veach, Chuck Cowdery, Peggy Noe Stevens, Maggie Kimberl, and Linda Ruffenach, just to name a few, all under one roof! I loved the idea of being able to attend these seminars and hear directly from them all in one place versus attending several different events throughout the year.

View Post

Leiper’s Fork Distillery

In Distilleries by Matt SelfLeave a Comment

Leiper’s Fork has long been a tourist destination for residents and visitors to Nashville with its laid back country vibe, idyllic setting, and celebrity draw. If you’re heading to Leiper’s Fork to check out Puckett’s Grocery’s open mic night or for breakfast at the Country Boy restaurant, you need to drive a little further down the road to check out Leiper’s Fork Distillery. Brought back to life by proprietor and master distiller Lee Kennedy, Leiper’s Fork Distillery is a sight to behold and is worth the trip to see the buildings and grounds even if you are not into whiskey.

View Post

Inaugural New Orleans Bourbon Festival

In Events by Jeffrey SchwartzLeave a Comment

If you’re scratching your head wondering why you’ve never heard of the New Orleans Bourbon Festival before, don’t worry, you’re not alone because 2017 is the inaugural year. If you’re wondering how good it could be for its initial year, again, don’t worry, it is going to be fantastic. By the time it is over, I believe you’ll be convinced this is a long-established event. So, block off Friday, March 24th through Sunday, March 26th on your calendar now, because you don’t want to miss this.