View Post

Bourbon Classic 2016 Recap

In Events by Leave a Comment

Disclaimer: I was invited to attend the Bourbon Classic at no cost to write about it for Bourbon and Banter but I paid for my hotel, food, and travel expenses while there and this review reflects my honest opinion on the event. Thank you. The Bourbon Classic returned for its fourth year February 26th and 27th. I have been lucky enough to attend the classic for the past three years now. There have been subtle changes each year but the event remains a great time for bourbon lovers. 2016 brought back everything that made the past three years a success …

View Post

Bourbon Classic Returns to Louisville for 2016

In Events by Leave a Comment

The Bourbon Classic, an annual bourbon and culinary celebration held in Louisville Kentucky, will return for its fourth year on February 26 – 27 at the Kentucky Center for the Performing Arts. I have greatly enjoyed attending the past two years and highly recommend it to anyone who loves bourbon, good food, and spending time learning about these things from the people who make them. The event starts Friday night with From the Barrel to the Bar: Bourbon Classic Cocktail Challenge. Teams of master bartenders will be matched with an acclaimed chef and Bourbon Classic sponsor distillery, and then vie for the title of …

View Post

Bourbon Classic 2015 Recap

In Events by Leave a Comment

Disclaimer: I was invited to attend the Bourbon Classic at no cost to write about it for Bourbon and Banter but I paid for my own hotel, food, and travel costs while there and this review reflects my honest opinion on the event. Thank you. The 3rd annual Bourbon Classic took place February 20th and 21st and I was lucky enough to be a part of it. Once again this was an extremely entertaining event, attended by bourbon lovers of all kinds; the people who make, people who sell it, people who write about it, people who study it. And of …

View Post

Bourbon Classic Recap

In Events by 1 Comment

  The second annual Bourbon Classic was held last weekend in Louisville, Kentucky. The event drew bourbon fans from around the country to join with distillers, bartenders, restaurants, and media representatives in celebrating all things bourbon. I was lucky enough to be among them and I left feeling very lucky to be living so close to bourbon country.  The event began Friday night with “From the Barrel to Bar,” a cocktail-centered event.  Teams of master bartenders were paired with a local chef and a Bourbon Classic sponsor distillery to compete for the title of “perfect cocktail.” A select panel of …

View Post

Old Soul High Rye Bourbon Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Lee StangLeave a Comment

As the great Yogi Berra once said, “It’s déjà vu all over again.” Here we have yet another bourbon with this mash bill. I think this may be the fifth I’ve tasted this year. This bourbon by Cathead Distillery is their second release of Old Soul Bourbon. The first I reviewed a couple years ago and it can found here. This release is a blend of MGP bourbon and the same mash bill distilled at Cathead. Unfortunately, the distillery would not disclose the mix of MGP vs their own distillate. There is no age statement on the bottle but on the website, they mention the age at between four and five years. This is an improvement over the first release which included some younger Cathead distillate. At 90 proof however it struck me as somewhat thin with a short finish. I believe a bit more proof and age would really improve this. However, this is an improvement over batch one and certainly worth trying at a bar or the distillery.

View Post

Bare Knuckle High Rye Cask Strength Bourbon Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Lee Stang and Brent JosephLeave a Comment

This is a great bourbon. Distilled by MGP, aged in Virginia. When KO Distilling opened, they sourced bottles from MGP and aged them here in Virginia. If care and feeding of aging barrels makes a difference, they nailed it on this one. It is the third different bourbon I have had in the past few months with this same mash bill. Totally enjoyable. It reminds me of eating a white chocolate truffle with a spicy filling of cinnamon, Yes, I am a huge fan of MGP bourbons and this mash bill. This KO distilling release is one of the better MGP bourbons I have tried. According to the distillery, the cask strength bottles will range from 120 to 128 proof. The sample I received was 127.6. I find it drinks below its proof. I would say this is a must try.