View Post

Mint Julep Recipes From Bulleit & Wild Turkey

In Cocktails by Patrick "Pops" GarrettLeave a Comment

The Kentucky Derby is just days away. It’s time to stock up your bar, purchase some extra bottles of bourbon and of course, time to find a great Julep recipe to share with your guests. To help you with the latter we’ve compiled a few recipes below from our friends over at Bulleit Bourbon and Wild Turkey. Of course if you already have a favorite recipe feel free to share it with us in the comments. We’re always looking for new recipes to share with our friends. Have a great Derby Party everyone! The Queen’s Julep Recipe by Punch Room …

View Post

Joe’s Half & Half Juice Review and Whiskey Cocktail

In Cocktails, Food Stuff Reviews by Patrick "Pops" GarrettLeave a Comment

Disclaimer: Samples of Joe’s Half & Half were provided to us by Red Jacket Orchards for this review. We appreciate their willingness to allow Bourbon & Banter to review their product with no strings attached. Thank you. We often get pitched by companies wanting us to review their bourbon or bourbon related products. It’s the type of requests that we expect to get as a bourbon blog. When we received a pitch from Red Jacket Orchards several weeks ago for a new juice product we found ourselves reading their email multiple times to make sure they hadn’t contacted us by mistake, not realizing …

View Post

Bloody Belle: A Bourbon Based Bloody Mary

In Cocktails by Patrick "Pops" GarrettLeave a Comment

I’ve never been a fan of the Bloody Mary cocktail but I know that there’s a lot of people who swear by them. Especially on a Sunday morning after a long night of drinking or with friends at a Sunday brunch. So when the folks at Nelson’s Green Brier Distillery sent me this recipe for the Bloody Belle I thought many of you would like to try it out. If you give it a try, please come back and let us know how it was in the comments. Here’s a way to take a Bloody Mary to the next level. …

View Post

Bracket Buster Bourbon Shot

In Cocktails by Thomas FondanoLeave a Comment

March is over, but the Madness continues. The Final Four is approaching and your bracket is most likely beyond repair. Some broken things can’t be fixed, but some can. Since basketball is all about making shots, that’s what I’ve done for you here. There is a cocktail in the Savoy Cocktail Book that appears twice. Once under the name Bunny Hug and once as the Earthquake Cocktail. It is a mind-boggling mixture of equal parts gin, whisky and absinthe. I have made this. It is completely unbalanced and far too dry. Here we try to remedy that by reducing the absinthe and …

View Post

Bourbon Eggnog Recipes for the Holidays

In Cocktails, Food by Leave a Comment

Eggnog is, undoubtedly, a polarizing beverage. Raw eggs, booze, and cream stuck in the fridge for a month? Dubious. Luckily, the threat of spoilage is pretty low because of the amount of sugar, booze, and refrigeration that goes into making a batch of nog. Still, I’m pretty much convinced die-hard eggnog enthusiasts like myself only exist because we were sneaking cups of it from the family punchbowl before we knew what it was actually made of. But setting aside the yuck factor, eggnog is not only delicious (it’s basically a custard), and historical (George Washington had his own recipe, which …

View Post

The Suffering Bastard Cocktail Recipe

In Cocktails by 1 Comment

A Hangover Cure?

The Suffering Bastard is a cocktail with a history. It was originally named The Suffering Bar Steward according to the legend and was created as a hangover cure. I think it’s more likely to cause one than to cure one, but you may find it has medicinal properties.

There are a number versions of the recipe. Some newer recipes use rum, but the original called for bourbon… and gin. This is a potent cocktail, so partake with caution!

View Post

Baseball Sour Bourbon Cocktail

In Cocktails by Thomas FondanoLeave a Comment

It’s World Series time! Maybe your team is in it, maybe they were plagued with injuries and never had a chance. Regardless, you need a drink. This variation on the whiskey sour adds Aperol for a bit of the bitter taste of defeat. Add in the baseball stitching effect and you’ve got one hell of a drink to enjoy while watching the Cardinals battle the Red Sox.   Baseball Sour Bourbon Cocktail 2 oz bourbon ¾ oz fresh squeezed lemon juice ¾ oz honey syrup* ½ oz Aperol 1 egg white Dry shake the ingredients together without ice for 30 seconds to emulsify the …

View Post

A Cherry Chocolate Bourbon Cocktail for National Liqueur Day

In Cocktails by Leave a Comment

Happy National Liqueur Day! Maybe you’re thinking, “I’m a bourbon drinker! Liqueur is not my style.” I’d ask you to give this cocktail a try. There is, after all, chocolate involved. And I promise it’s not too sweet. I used Old Weller Antique for the bourbon and I made my own Chocolate Liqueur which was very easy to make. If you don’t feel like making your own or are looking for instant gratification you could substitute your favorite brand of chocolate liqueur.  Cherry Chocolate Bourbon Cocktail 2 oz. Old Weller Antique 1/2 oz Chocolate liqueur 2 dashes Angostura Bitters Stir together in …