Michter's Toasted Barrel Finish Sour Mash Release Header

Michter’s to Release US*1 Toasted Barrel Sour Mash Whiskey

In New Brand Releases by Patrick "Pops" GarrettLeave a Comment

Michter’s to Release US*1 Toasted Barrel Sour Mash Whiskey for The First Time

Louisville, Ky – In September 2019, Michter’s Distillery will release its US*1 Toasted Barrel Sour Mash Whiskey for sale to U.S. and export markets. While Michter’s has released US*1 Toasted Barrel Bourbon and US*1 Toasted Barrel Strength Rye in the past, this will mark the first ever release of Michter’s US*1 Toasted Barrel Sour Mash Whiskey.

When Michter’s US*1 Sour Mash was selected by The Whisky Exchange as “Whisky of the Year” for 2019, it marked the first time that any whiskey from the United States had ever achieved this honor. This award winning whiskey is at the heart of Michter’s US*1 Toasted Barrel Sour Mash Whiskey. To make this special Toasted release, Michter’s starts with fully matured barrels of its US*1 Sour Mash Whiskey and transfers the whiskey into specially toasted barrels for additional aging. “We’ve been very happy with how our Toasted Barrel Bourbon and Toasted Barrel Strength Rye releases have come out, and we discovered that our Sour Mash Whiskey is also wonderful for toasted barrel finishing,” commented Michter’s President Joseph J. Magliocco.

With Master Distiller Dan McKee and Michter’s Master of Maturation Andrea Wilson leading the charge, Michter’s continues to conduct research into whiskey making. According to Wilson, significant consideration went into the type of toast that was best for finishing the US*1 Sour Mash Whiskey. “The toast profile used to finish our Toasted Barrel Sour Mash differs from both the toast profile used for our Toasted Bourbon and the toast profile used for our Toasted Barrel Strength Rye.” She added, “A milder toast was chosen to enhance the toffee character of the US*1 Sour Mash and provide a hint of campfire on the finish. After evaluating different degrees of toasting, we selected a level that would provide the toasty profile people enjoy while complementing the elegance of the sour mash whiskey.”

Michter’s US*1 Toasted Barrel Sour Mash Whiskey is 86 proof and will sell in the U.S. for a suggested retail price of $60 per 750ml bottle.