This whiskey has the maturity one would expect of its age, with vanilla and caramel notes and a soft finish.Leiper's Fork DistilleryClick to explore our complete library of reviews to help you choose your next perfect bottle.
Hunter’s Select Barrel Tennessee Bourbon Whiskey
- DISTILLER: Leiper’s Fork Distillery is not disclosing the source, but it is a bourbon made in TN
- MASH BILL: 72% Corn | 20% Rye | 8% Malted Barley
- AGE: 9 years, 5 months, 11 days
- YEAR: 2016 | Batch No. 2, Bottle 248 of 800
- PROOF: 95 (47.5% ABV)
- MSRP: $65.00 at the distillery gift shop
TASTE: Citrus | Vanilla | Corn | Spice. Most of the aromas in the nose don’t translate flavors on the palate.
FINISH: The first sip explodes with citrus oil notes. Spice, but not heat. Lingering finish with floral notes and warmth that spreads through your chest. A couple of drops of water smooth it out and reveal some cola flavors, but also make it a bit more tannic and drying.
SHARE WITH: Anyone who appreciates good bourbon, but especially the bourbon lover in your life who thinks all whiskey from Tennessee is “Old No. something.”
WORTH THE PRICE: At $65, yes. This is a well sourced and selected 9+ year bourbon that can hang with others in that price range.
BOTTLE, BAR OR BUST: If you can find it in a bar, give it a try. Personally, I’d rather have a bottle at home that can evolve and open up over time.
OVERALL: While the name Hunter’s Select Barrel Tennessee Bourbon Whiskey may be confusing, this is a bourbon made in Tennessee and NOT a Tennessee whiskey. It has not gone through the Lincoln County Process of charcoal filtering before aging. This bottle improves significantly with time and rewards patience. My tasting notes from when I first opened the bottle to my second try a couple of weeks later were very different. Take your time with the bottle and savor it. Colonel Hunter is watching you.
If you’d like to know more about Leiper’s Fork Distillery check out this post that fellow Bourbon & Banter team member, Matt Self, wrote back in March 2017.
- Luscious butterscotch and caramel wrap with a light spice finish
- Golden raisin and milk chocolate notes with fruit forward finish
- Deep corn pudding and light spice and toasted nut frame sweet maple syrup with butterscotch overtones that lead to an oak finish