The last time you found yourself at Ye Olde Liquor Store, your eyes might have wandered to the bottom shelf where labels are stuffed with text emphasizing the quality and heritage of the bourbon, proudly boasting, “SOUR MASH WHISKEY.” You might have wondered what that even meant as you settled up for your bottle of Evan Williams, and why very few other bourbon brands boast this quality of their whiskey so proudly.
The early nineteenth century was a cluster of a great variety of bourbon quality, from excellent products to worse-than-rotgut to everything in-between. Distillers, including commercial and farmer-distillers, usually utilized two processes to create mash for producing whiskey: sour mash and sweet mash. These processes are exactly the same in regards to the amount of grain in the mash, the mash bill, fermentation, and yeast, but with one essential difference: the sour mash process includes a portion of spent mash from the previous distillation, just like sourdough bread contains a portion of dough from a previous batch of bread. It was the distiller’s preference for whether they chose to distill sweet mash or sour mash that day, and distillers didn’t specify which mash produced the whiskey they sold. Continue Reading →
Let me preface this review by saying that I am not much of a cocktail drinker: A glass of wine, sure, bourbon on the rocks, great, an occasional manhattan or a hot toddy on a cold winters night (made by my lovely husband), excellent. So when he asked me to review, The Craft Cocktail Party: Delicious Drinks for Every Occasion, I thought, well never mind what I thought. I agreed, mostly out of wifely duty, and well, I am really glad I did. Continue Reading →
Here’s a wonderfully produced “grain to glass” documentary produced by our friends over at Hudson Whiskey. Pour yourself a glass of whiskey and take 15 minutes out of your day to enjoy this peek into the craft distilling world.
And congrats to Hudson Whiskey on 10 great years!
- Happy 4th of July July 4, 2015
- Sour or Sweet: The Father of Modern Bourbon June 30, 2015
- The Craft Cocktail Party: A Review & Giveaway June 22, 2015
- From Grain to Glass: An American Craft Spirits Renaissance June 20, 2015
- Wild Turkey Master’s Keep Bourbon Review June 18, 2015
- Average American Bourbon Drinker July 9, 2012
- Bourbon Tooth Paste July 24, 2012
- Old Forester Bourbon Advertisement Circa 1957 August 10, 2012
- Is Alcohol A Recession Proof Industry? August 27, 2012
- The Mason Jar Cocktail Shaker August 15, 2012