Jim Beam Kentucky Fire Review

Jim Beam Kentucky Fire Feature Image

Disclaimer: A sample of Jim Beam Kentucky Fire was provided to us by Beam for this review. We appreciate their willingness to allow Bourbon & Banter to review the booze with no strings attached. Thank you.

Folks, we’re in the middle of the Great Bastardization of Whiskey. If you don’t believe me, then you’ve been drunk under a rock for the past three years. (And maybe you’re better for it.) We don’t just have whiskey anymore. We have honey, apple, peach, brown sugar, maple syrup, and toffee cookie candy land crème puff whiskey. All right, so maybe that last one’s not a thing yet, but we were making the same joke about cupcake vodka five years ago. It’s only a matter of time.

Flavored whiskey has been around since ol’ Jimmy Russell gave us American Honey, but over the past few years we’ve watched it jizz over everything. I’m not going to say it’s the end of the world, but it might be the end of the world.

And I blame Fireball.
Continue Reading →

Comments { 0 }

Blood Oath Bourbon Review

Blood Oath Bourbon Review Image

Disclaimer: A sample of Blood Oath bourbon was provided to us by Luxco for this review. We appreciate their willingness to allow Bourbon & Banter to review the booze with no strings attached. Thank you.

Earlier this week we broke the story about Luxco’s upcoming release of Blood Oath bourbon. Today we’re going to dive into Blood Oath (yes, we’re going to enjoy the blood temperature proof at 98.6)  and share our tasting notes and thoughts on this new bourbon. But first, let’s go ahead a revisit the official press release put out by Luxco announcing the release:

Ultra-premium Blood Oath Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey to be released
in very limited quantities

St. Louis-based Luxco announced the launch of its limited release, ultra-premium bourbon series, Blood Oath. This brand-new craft bourbon whiskey series is unique to the market as it will highlight a different variant, or Pact, each year. The inaugural Pact, named Blood Oath Pact No. 1, consists of a special blend of three carefully selected, top-notch Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskeys, blended and bottled by hand, resulting in one distinctly exclusive and unimagined bourbon. The debut combination, bottled at 98.6 proof, is available in limited quantities nationally in 750ml bottles, with a suggested price of $89.99.

“I have the luxury of not being tied down to one specific distillery, so I sampled many bourbons to find the perfect mix to make Blood Oath Pact No. 1,” explained John Rempe, Director of Corporate Research and Development at Luxco and creator of Blood Oath. “This product is an exquisite union of three well-bred bourbons with various age statements and mash bills. The first, a spicy bourbon with a mash bill favoring rye, barrel aged for a subtle woodiness. The second is a smooth, wheated bourbon and the third is a full-bodied, more experienced, oaky bourbon with a rye-based mash. Each of these complement the other and none overpower the palate, creating an amazing bourbon.”

 The bourbons in Pact No. 1 range from 6 to 12 years old.

 Blood Oath’s unique package is topped with a custom, eco-friendly natural cork and labeled with a heavy certificate-style paper stock. Rempe’s signature, along with the specific bottle’s creation date and the story behind the pact, mark each bottle label.

 “We are extremely excited to launch Blood Oath,” said Steve Einig, Chief Marketing Officer at Luxco. “We wanted to create something that not only appealed to bourbon enthusiasts around the country, but also a product that we could truly enjoy. Blood Oath accomplishes this and we are proud to launch this bourbon.”

 After Pact No. 1’s limited edition run, Pact No. 2, consisting of an entirely new combination, will subsequently be released in 2016.

Continue Reading →

Comments { 0 }

Happy St. Patrick’s Day

Happy St. Patrick's Day 2015 Photo

Comments { 0 }

Blood Oath Bourbon Announced by Luxco

Blood Oath Bourbon Release Image

In early December 2014, St. Louis-based Luxco announced that they were acquiring a 50 percent equity position in Limestone Branch Distillery. The initial focus of the joint venture would involve Limestone Branch distilling the original recipe for Yellowstone bourbon and aging the product in 2015. In addition, “Limestone Branch Distillery plans to develop other hand-crafted spirits using various mash bills for bourbon, rye and continuing to work on their white spirit products.”

We have been striving for some time to enter the craft bourbon market with a truly authentic story and product. – Donn Lux, Luxco chairman

We were pretty excited about hearing the news when it first came out, and we immediately started to speculate on just how big Luxco’s plans were about getting more involved in the bourbon industry. Historically the brand has tended to put their focus on other categories with larger profit margins like tequila, but undoubtedly the bourbon boom has provided an opportunity for them to rethink their growth strategy. As a non-distilling producer with a portfolio that contains many well-known–yet lower-end–bourbon brands like Rebel Yell, Ezra Brooks and David Nicholson 1843, the investment sent a clear signal that Luxco had set its sights on playing a bigger role in the bourbon industry. And just a few months after announcing their investment in Limestone Brand, Luxco is making news again by releasing a new bourbon to the market. Continue Reading →

Comments { 0 }