See You At Whiskey In The Winter 2015

Whiskey in the Winter Image

The weather is changing and they days are getting shorter. It can only mean one thing. That’s right, it’s whiskey drinking season!

There’s no better way to celebrate the season than to attend the 4th Annual Whiskey in the Winter on November 20, 2015.

Whiskey in the Winter is St. Louis’ very own whiskey festival. And while we proudly call it St. Louis’ whiskey festival it has grown to be one of the premier whiskey events in the country. We’re proud to be an event sponsor once again this year and hope you’ll join us for an amazing evening of whiskey, gourmet food and lively banter.

Building on the past three years shows this year is going to be better than ever. The event is now being hosted on a Friday evening with a new start time of 7 PM. The new start time allows for VIP ticket holders to gain access to the whiskey hall even earlier than in previous years meaning you’ll have more time to sample some of the rare whiskeys available with your VIP Golden Ticket. (VIP ticket holders get to enter the hall 45 minutes earlier.) Continue Reading →

Comments { 0 }

Bourbon Patriot Flag Pre-Order Sale

We’re excited to finally offer our Bourbon Patriot Flag for pre-order. It’s taken a bit longer than anticipated to bring this to life in true flag form but hope you feel it was worth the wait.  Continue Reading →

Comments { 0 }

Sukkah Hill Spirits Review & Cocktails

Sukkah Hill Spirits Collage

Disclaimer: Samples were provided by Sukkah Hill Spirits for this review. I appreciate their willingness to allow Bourbon & Banter to review their products with no strings attached. Thank you.

Today we have a pair of liqueurs from Sukkah Hill Spirits: Etrog and Besamim. If those words sound unfamiliar to you, know that they have their roots in Judaism. The etrog is a citron used in the week-long festival of Sukkot (Sept. 27-Oct. 4 this year). Besamim means spices and often refers to those spices used in the closing of Shabbat. Both are made with cane sugar (not high fructose corn syrup), without preservatives or additives (other than alcohol), and are kosher. They are also fairly high proof for liqueurs which is a plus in my book. Okay, let’s taste and mix. Continue Reading →

Comments { 0 }

The Bourbon Tasting Notebook Review – The Fitness Tracker of Bourbon

Disclaimer: A review copy of The Bourbon Tasting Notebook was provided by the authors and their publisher for this review. I appreciate their willingness to allow Bourbon & Banter to review the book with no strings attached. Thank you.

The Bourbon Tasting Notebook ImageOne of my favorite memories during my time with Bourbon & Banter was when I made the trek over to St. Louis from DC for Mike Veach’s Filson Bourbon Academy. Even though Mike was slated to come to DC a few weeks after, I wanted the opportunity to experience the Bourbon Academy with my fellow B&B folks. It was a brisk November morning in 2013 and I had that first-day-of-school giddiness in anticipation of some boozy learning at the Gamlin Whiskey House.

I soon realized that Bourbon Academy is no joke; it is not for the passive student. (This was great for me since I am a huge nerd.) Mike Veach takes his Bourbon seriously and his Bourbon history even more seriously – the man is a font of information when it comes to whiskey. As a Kentucky native and B&B contributor (aka: Bourbon Evangelist), I considered myself very well-informed on all things Bourbon. Alas, my knowledge was put to shame by what Mike Veach brought to our spirited classroom and I left an enlightened – albeit tipsy – student.
When Mike Veach and his co-author Susan Reigler (a Louisville native and author of numerous Kentucky Bourbon travel and tourism guides) came out with The Bourbon Tasting Notebook – the ultimate pocket guide to tasting your way through every Bourbon out there – I was rather excited. In the age of constant digital tracking, apps, and accomplishment badges (beers, wines, steps, calories, likes, hits, etc.) it is refreshing to have something tactile and indelible. As a writer, I’m also a sucker for print.

The Bourbon Tasting Notebook is exactly what it says it is: a book for you to take notes on and consult when tasting Bourbon. Mike and Susan had the tremendously laborious and rather tedious charge of tasting every Bourbon out on the market. Every. Single. One. (Well almost, with a few exceptions for some rare releases and yearly releases.)  NB: Before you question the research methodology, the book does provide the caveat that no more than 5-6 tastes were undertaken during each session so their “palates would stay fresh.” But the fruits of their labors are commendable in that they successfully provide a way for us Bourbon enthusiasts to trudge into any liquor store, bar, pub, airport lounge, friend’s liquor stash and be able to navigate the way to a higher plane of whiskey understanding and appreciation. Also you can keep excellent tabs on what you drink, what you hoard, and what you pine for.

The Bourbon Tasting Notebook provides a few introductory pages outlining a general history of Bourbon, how it’s made, how to taste, how to pair, and even how to host a Bourbon tasting. The real draw, however, is in the profile and scoring pages. The authors provide a bottle photo, overview (proof, age, type, style, color, mash bill, and price), tasting notes from both Mike and Susan, general notes, and a space at the bottom for you, the taster, to score and log your own thoughts. Handy, right?

The Bourbon Tasting Notebook is a great gift for Bourbon enthusiasts of any level, from the casual to the most serious. I recommend pairing with a Glencairn glass or two (available in the B&B shop) and a bottle of Bourbon (take your pick!) for a unique holiday or birthday present.

Happy tasting!

Book Details:

The Bourbon Tasting Notebook

Susan Reigler and Michael Veach