Summer Maintenance FYI

under_construction_sign_work_computer_humor_funny_text_maintenance_wallpaper_website_web_4752x3168

A quick note to let everyone know that we’re going to be doing some upgrades to our hosting environment over the next few days. Faster server, optimized hosting, etc. Our goal is to deliver an improved experience while switching to a hosting environment with more robust support for our growing community. We apologize in advance for any site issues you may experience as we move things around. We hope things will go smoothly but if it doesn’t at least we warned you. 😉

As for us we’ll be keeping our fingers crossed and our glasses filled with bourbon to take the edge off.

Raise your glass and wish us a swift and pain free migration…Cheers!

Comments { 0 }

Bourbon Curious Book Review

ENTER TO WIN YOUR VERY OWN COPY OF BOURBON CURIOUS! Continue Reading →

Comments { 0 }

New Limited Edition High Rye Bourbon from A. Smith Bowman Distillery

For those of you that enjoy whiskey from the A. Smith Bowman Distillery you’ll be pleased to hear about this year’s release. Here’s some information straight from the brand. I’d love to get my hands on a bottle but they’ve made it pretty clear that unless you’re near to Virginia you’re SOL. Never good when that news is delivered as the 2nd line of the release title.

Smith Bowman Distillery Releases Limited Edition High Rye Bourbon
Release is Extremely Limited, Mostly Only in Virginia

A. Smith Bowman High Rye Bourbon BottleFredericksburg, VA.
(Aug. 6, 2015) A. Smith Bowman Distillery announces the latest release in its Abraham Bowman line of expressions, the Abraham Bowman Limited Edition High Rye Bourbon. Using a bold bourbon recipe that contains five times more rye than A. Smith Bowman’s standard bourbon recipe, this limited release was aged for seven years and nine months in Virginia before being deemed ready to bottle.  At 100 proof, it is a powerful whiskey full of flavor.

The aroma of slight peppery notes opens up to sweet vanilla, caramel, and toasted oak.  Honey, praline, and spice mingle with baked apples and cherry notes in the flavor. A long, slightly dry finish lingers on the tongue.

Master Distiller Brian Prewitt leads the whiskey experiments at A. Smith Bowman and is excited to release this high rye limited edition. “This high rye bourbon has such a distinct nose and taste profile that I think fans looking for a full-bodied bourbon with lots of spice will really enjoy.  It’s been fun to release experiments like these, and we look forward to creating even more interesting  expressions that are a good fit for our Abraham Bowman line in the future.”

The Abraham Bowman Limited Edition High Rye Bourbon is part of a series of limited edition whiskies, named after Abraham Bowman, the commander of the 8th Virginia Regiment in the American Revolutionary War. Each edition of the Abraham line is a different expression and a new release is offered a few times a year.  This is the twelfth release in the Abraham line.  The Abraham Bowman Limited Edition High Rye Bourbon will be available at retail in August.  However, quantity is very limited and it will mostly be available only in Virginia.  It is 100 proof. Suggested retail pricing is $69.99.

Comments { 0 }

Duke Kentucky Straight Bourbon Review

Duke Kentucky Straight Bourbon Header

Disclaimer: A sample of Duke Kentucky Straight Bourbon was provided by Duke Spirits for this review. I appreciate their willingness to allow Bourbon & Banter to review the whiskey with no strings attached. Thank you.

It’s been a while since Duke Kentucky Straight Bourbon was released into the rapidly growing bourbon market. We didn’t go out of our way to avoid trying it but it was not on our list of things to acquire and review for the blog. After all, there were plenty of other people digging into the bourbon and the brand’s backstory. (Here’s a least one must read post on the brand.)

The folks behind the bourbon reached out to us about a month ago with some cocktail recipe suggestions using Duke. We’re always happy to receive such items but since we never got around to trying the bourbon ourselves they were kind enough to send us a bottle for research purposes. We sent the bottle to Matt Propst who was kind enough to volunteer for tasting duty. Below you’ll find his review of Duke along with a few additional comments from yours truly.

Continue Reading →

Comments { 0 }