The older bourbon succumbs to the unbridled alcohol of the younger whiskies in the blend. Upon first sniff, this completely singed my nose hairs, which is a highly unpleasant feeling and one that doesn’t make you eager to subject your delicate tastebuds to. This causticity renders the whole experience – from first sniff to final swallow – wholly unpleasant. I felt like I was drinking something rawer, less aged, and much cheaper.
Overall, I am big fan of finished “bourbons.” I will admit that before tasting this, I have paid $125 for a 10-year MGP bourbon finished in Cabernet Sauvignon barrels for 6 months finished and bottled from a place in California. It is very, very good.
The Bardstown Bourbon Company bills themselves as the first Napa Valley style destination on the Kentucky Bourbon Trail. The Bardstown Bourbon Collaborative Series #1 is a sourced Tennessee Bourbon finished in Phifer Pavitt Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon barrels from Napa Valley for 19 months. Certainly makes sense for a Napa style destination.
The Bardstown Bourbon Company bills themselves as the first Napa Valley style destination on the Kentucky Bourbon Trail. The Bardstown Bourbon Fusion Series #1 represents the distillery’s first Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey and is a collaboration of their distillery, beverage and culinary teams. This is a blend of 3 different bourbons. Two of the bourbons, making up 60% of the blend are, from Bardstown Bourbon Company and are just over two years old. The remaining 40% of the blend is a sourced bourbon from Kentucky that is over 11 years old.
The Bardstown Bourbon Company (BBCo), 1500 Parkway Drive, is announcing the release of its first Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, Bardstown Bourbon Fusion Series #1. The product is a blend of Bardstown Bourbon Company’s estate-made, two-year-old wheat and high-rye bourbons, with an 11-year-old sourced Kentucky bourbon. Bardstown Bourbon Fusion Series #1 is the result of a collaboration of the company’s expert distilling, beverage and culinary teams working together to develop an exceptionally smooth, yet complex pour.
Bardstown, KY (September 13, 2017) – The Bardstown Bourbon Company (“BBCo”) and Copper & Kings American Brandy Company (“C&K”) announced today the release of “Collabor&tion,” two distinct products made with 10-year-old straight bourbon whiskey – one finished in Copper & Kings’ American Brandy barrels and the other in Muscat Mistelle barrels, for more than 18 months in the Copper & Kings basement maturation cellar. The project is intended to embody the spirit of friendship and partnership, and celebrates great craftsmen working together to produce exceptional products as kindred spirits.
(St. Louis) April 4, 2016 – Luxco announced today the company has finalized plans to build a distillery, located in Nelson County, Kentucky. Luxco has chosen to build the distillery on a 70-acre site off state highway KY-245 in the heart of Bardstown and Bourbon Capital of the World. The company announced preliminary plans for the distillery in late 2015, and the distillery is expected to be fully operational by late 2017.
Construction on the project will begin in the summer of 2016. Buzick Construction has been awarded the contract for the project. When finished, the distillery will be approximately 18,000 square feet, have six barrel warehouses and will employ an estimated 34 people. In addition, the distillery will feature a tasting room and event space and will offer visitors a new stop on the Kentucky Bourbon Trail.
“We are looking forward to building the distillery on this scenic property and in such a central location in Bardstown,” says David Bratcher, President and COO of Luxco. “We intend the distillery to be a welcoming stop for those visiting the Kentucky Bourbon Trail and we are excited to bring our bourbon experience and brands to Nelson County.”
The Old Fitzgerald 14 Year Old Bottled In Bond Bourbon is a solid whiskey that Old Fitz fans and grain-forward whiskey fans will enjoy. Were this a wine review, I’d compliment its “structure” and uniformity for playing no tricks and not changing with long exposure. The other side of that coin is it didn’t change at all with long exposure. A few drops of water did open it to reveal some nutty flavors and amplify the oak positively. Water also clears out that grassy exit that isn’t always pleasing (usually I love that). I’m not big on adding water, but it works well here.
This is a decent rye that checks all the boxes required of an American rye whiskey, but it needs more time in the barrel to gain complexity and character to make it worth its $69 price. Only a few drops of water blunted the whole presentation, which also shows its youth (Perhaps 2-3 years.) Overall, it lacks complexity and needs time in the barrel.