View Post

Celebrate New Year’s with a Seelbach Cocktail

In Cocktails by Leave a Comment

While everyone around you is toasting the new year with a glass of champagne there is no reason not to sip on some bourbon instead if that is what you enjoy. But before you write off the bubbly completely may I suggest a classic cocktail that combines the best of both worlds? The Seelbach Cocktail is named after the hotel in Louisville where it was first served in 1917. Legend has it that the drink was invited when the bartender used a customer’s Manhattan to capture the overflow from an exploding champagne bottle. Considering the similarities the Seelbach bears to …

View Post

Boardwalk Empire Cocktail Recipes

In Cocktails by Patrick "Pops" GarrettLeave a Comment

Our friends over at Original Penguin teamed up with the folks at MOJO bar in Leeds to create create three prohibition-inspired cocktails to celebrate the return of Boardwalk Empire. Here’s the story. Anyone who has watched Boardwalk Empire will have noticed how the show’s lead characters enjoy a cocktail or two to help unwind from all the drama going on around them. To celebrate the return of the fourth series of the hit HBO show, heritage clothing brand Original Penguin has produced three extra-special cocktails for people to enjoy in moderation as they watch the latest series. These three “new” …

View Post

National Whiskey Sour Day 2013

In Banter, Cocktails by Patrick "Pops" Garrett2 Comments

Believe it or not some people require a good reason to have a drink on a Sunday. Today’s post is for those people. Tomorrow, Sunday, August 25th is National Whiskey Sour Day. It’s a day made to celebrate this iconic and steadfast classic which traces is origin back to the days when British Navy sailors in the 1700s would add lime juice to their rum to preserve the juice and keep the sailors safe from scurvy. At its most basic, the Whisky Sour includes no more than three ingredients — bourbon, lemon juice, and simple sugar. (Four Roses Bourbon is obviously …

View Post

The Blueberry Old Fashioned Cocktail Recipe

In Cocktails by Erin PetreyLeave a Comment

Erin Petrey is our featured guest blogger today. Erin resides in Washington, D.C. but her heart is in KY. A devoted bourbon ambassador, Erin hopes to join Bourbon & Banter to help us on our mission to spread the bourbon gospel. Please check out her twist on the classic Old Fashioned below and let us know if she’s a keeper. [hr] The Old Fashioned is a classic cocktail and one of my absolute favorites. This drink has roots that reach all the way back to the beginning of the 19th century. Originally made by mixing bitters, sugar, water, and a …