Kentucky Fried Bourbon – Bourbon & Banter Podcast Episode #22

The 22nd episode of the Bourbon & Banter podcast – Kentucky Fried Bourbon – is now available for your listening and drinking pleasure.

Kentucky Fried Bourbon Header

The 22nd episode of the Bourbon & Banter podcast – Kentucky Fried Bourbon - is now available for your listening and drinking pleasure. Pops and Bob ring in 2022 in trademark fashion, not only bringing you the best bourbon podcast anywhere but making a plea for replenishing their Christmas Tree Cake stock.

We feature a great thread from our community forum, taking issue with a recent Jefferson’s Ocean ad that claims it’s “aged at the mercy of the sea.” I’m sure you can guess where that conversation went. If you want to join the Bourbon & Banter community, where we eliminate all the bullshit from standard social media groups like crotch shots, be sure to check out our social media platforms for more information.

Pops then shares some big news for Bourbon & Banter: noted author and all-around great guy Steve Coomes has been named editor of Bourbon & Banter. Coomes will help take our content to the next level as we continue to support bourbon, whiskey, and beyond in support of our philosophy to #DrinkCurious.

The whiskey news shares a truly dumbass move by Diageo Mexico in using an actor’s likeness for an ad campaign without his authorization. Mexico’s Supreme Court ruled that Gael García Bernal is owed forty-percent, yes FORTY PERCENT of Mexican sales of Johnny Walker products from the time the ads ran in 2011. We then look at a recent study published showing Australians were the drunkest in 2020. The study didn’t say how many oil cans of Fosters were consumed though. Columbus, OH, has developed its own distillery trail, and the governor of Kentucky recently dismissed most bourbon made outside of his home state. We like stuff from other states, as do most other bourbon drinkers, so we don’t agree. Yes, most great bourbon comes from Kentucky, but there are a lot of great folks doing things in other states.

Speaking of great things happening outside of Kentucky, our new release spotlight looks at one of those distilleries, our friends at Chattanooga Whiskey. Their Islay Scotch Cask Finish release takes their High Malt Tennessee Whiskey and finishes it in a 250-liter Islay Scotch hogsheads cask, then bottled at 95-proof. Chattanooga has also updated its single barrel program, in a way that will hopefully make it more widely available.

Barrell Craft Spirits has announced their new Gray Label Seagrass, featuring 100% Canadian rye whisky aged for 16 years, finished in Martinique Rhum, Madeira, and Apricot Brandy Barrels, and bottled at 130.82 proof. They’ve also released their Black Label Stellum bourbon and rye, which incorporates reserve barrels from their stocks with the original Stellum Bourbon and rye blends.

We wrap up the whiskey news with an extremely exciting collaboration between Buffalo Trace and one of Kentucky’s signature restaurants. We’re not giving it away; you’ll have to listen to hear about this finger lickin’ good partnership!

The Craft Shoot is back just in time to make craft distilleries nervous. Will this month’s participant walk away with their head held high, or their tail between their legs? This month doesn’t offend us as much as some have, but does it pass the test enough to get a bottle rating?

We close Episode #22 with the most popular segment in all of bourbon podcasting: BOURBON BULLSHIT!

Last time BBS addressed misinformation from so-called “bourbon experts,” and this month we continue that dialogue. We pose the question that does the content all these folks provide, any value? This includes Bourbon & Banter. We want to be sure that we set ourselves apart from everyone else and that we’re delivering what you want. Drop us a line at podcast@bourbonbanter.com and let us know if we’re on the right track or if there’s something else you’d like to hear or see from us.

In the last segment of BBS, we talked about misinformation running rampant with all the content roaming around online. We continue that dialogue with a recent article that has all the hallmarks of ignorance being passed off as authority.

This month’s episode puts us into a new place with bourbon bullshit. What happens when the bullshit is so bad that it defies categorization in the regular realm of bullshit? There must be a place for that. Hence, we debut the BOURBON OUTHOUSE, a place reserved for only the biggest piles of bourbon bullshit. Those that defy the standard we typically have for BBS, which you know is really saying something. What could push us in this direction? Younger, craft whiskey, that’s unproven…for $150 a bottle. We want our audiences to drink smart. This simply isn’t smart. It’s a cash grab and it’s offensive.

As the most honest podcast in bourbon, we don't pull any punches and we tell it like we see it. If you've been searching for a bourbon podcast that provides honest commentary, to the point information, and doesn't take itself too seriously – welcome home!

Here's a complete breakdown of Episode 22 – Kentucky Fried Bourbon:

Whiskey News (13:20)
Craft Shoot (44:55)
Bourbon Bullshit (51:26)

Are you ready? Pour yourself a drink, get comfortable, and listen to Episode 22 using the player above or via your favorite podcast player.

Warning: If you're not comfortable with unapologetic, independent thinking, plus a healthy dose of swearing, you might want to skip this one folks. It's recorded at barrel strength with full-throttle banter.

We sure hope you enjoyed episode #22 of the official Bourbon & Banter podcast and that you'll consider sharing it with your friends. We'd love to hear what you think in the comments below or by sending us an email via our podcast email address.

Have a great weekend and remember to stay safe while you're spreading the bourbon gospel and learning to #drinkcurious.

Hey, wait a minute. You have listened to all of our previous episodes, right? If not, head on over to our Bourbon & Banter Podcast page to get caught up.