Is Bourbon Broken? Part 4 – A Final Argument Header

Is Bourbon Broken? Part 4 – A Final Argument

In Banter by Brent Joseph35 Comments

Welcome to Part 4 of our 4-part series exploring the question, "Is Bourbon Broken?". Make sure you read Part 1 – The Consumer Problem, Part 2 – The Secondary Problem and Part 3 – The Distribution & Retail Problem before proceeding with Part 4, as the posts are meant to be read in sequential order.

A Final Argument

I think that one final argument that can be made as to why bourbon is broken, is that consumers keep paying ridiculous prices at retail stores for bottles of extremely young or sourced bourbon from a myriad of new brands. You can’t honestly tell me that you are thrilled when you see a new brand announced and their MSRP is over $150. Come on people, 13 year old sourced juice in cool bottle designed by a former shoe company executive is what you just have to have? Really?

You mean to tell me that the new local distillery that is selling their two year old juice for $50+ is better than the tried and true big brands that are sitting on the shelves of your local retailers for half the price? No way. I’m all about supporting local, but the product needs to be good for me to want to drink it, let alone buy it again. But people are apparently buying the stuff and contributing to the insane pricing practices that drive up the entire industry. I know it’s expensive to source your juice from MGP, have it bottled, and get it to market via your distributor. But there is no way you can honestly tell me that local brand X is double the price better than options like Elijah Craig, Old Grand Dad, Maker’s Mark, or Buffalo Trace. Hell, you can even get 10 year old Russel’s Reserve for $30-$40.

Bourbon Flavor Wheel & Tasting Mats

Makes the perfect Fathers' Day gift. Click, Download, and Give.
Image
But some of you continue to pay double for stuff that is just not good. Until we stop chasing things like 7-year-old sourced finished rye for $180, I’m worried that nothing will change and this thing we love will stay broken. This is where the bourbon community has the most power, just because it’s new on the shelf, doesn’t mean it is good or worth the price they are charging. We can all do our part to help fix this. If customers don’t buy overpriced product, the product either goes away or the pricing comes back to reality. In the end, you should buy what you like to drink.
"But some of you continue to pay double for stuff that is just not good."
I’d love to hear your thoughts on this topic. Do you feel the same? How can we fix it? Am I totally wrong and this is the best time ever to be a bourbon fan? Do you have any other thoughts or problems that I’ve missed?

Thank you for exploring my 4 part series and allowing me to share my opinions on the topic of whether or not bourbon is broken. I'd love to hear what you think in the comments.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Sr. Contributor |

Brent was born and raised in Indianapolis, IN. After graduating from the University of Kansas with a degree in Journalism, he moved back to Indy where he eventually resurrected his family's brand of all beef kosher style hot dogs and opened a restaurant, King David Dogs, in downtown Indianapolis. When he's not juggling the many duties of an entrepreneur, he can usually be found relaxing at home with his wife, their twin boys, and their two dogs. Brent is a member of the Bourbon Society of Indianapolis, a BBQ enthusiast, and a cigar aficionado. Three things that are even better when enjoyed together with good friends. If Brent is not talking about bourbon, he's probably talking about sports, in particular, NFL football and Kansas Jayhawks basketball. You can follow his blog, BBQ and Bourbon here.
Read Brent's full profile.

About the Author

Brent Joseph

Twitter

Brent was born and raised in Indianapolis, IN. After graduating from the University of Kansas with a degree in Journalism, he moved back to Indy where he eventually resurrected his family's brand of all beef kosher style hot dogs and opened a restaurant, King David Dogs, in downtown Indianapolis. When he's not juggling the many duties of an entrepreneur, he can usually be found relaxing at home with his wife, their twin boys, and their two dogs. Brent is a member of the Bourbon Society of Indianapolis, a BBQ enthusiast, and a cigar aficionado. Three things that are even better when enjoyed together with good friends. If Brent is not talking about bourbon, he's probably talking about sports, in particular, NFL football and Kansas Jayhawks basketball. You can follow his blog, BBQ and Bourbon here. Read Brent's full profile.

  • randy says:

    Really enjoyed this series, read all 4 just now. I’m old-ish (57), but only started drinking bourbon last year (my 2020 New Year’s resolution). I’m looking at my 10 bottle “shelf” as I type this – all opened and enjoyed. I haven’t paid more than $50 for any of them (my wonderful GF did splurge on a Blanton’s and Glenmorangie as gifts). I can’t really describe the tastes very well, but I know that some taste better than others. And I’m glad that I do enjoy most of what’s in my price range! I could afford a lot more, but if I can’t really describe the differences, why should I bother. Though I’m thinking about a $60 bottle of OF1910 or OF1920 based on good reviews.
    As far as online “communities”, I’ve been quite surprised and happy with the bourbon/scotch/whiskey “sub-reddits” on Reddit. People there really seem to be in agreement with the quality of a lot of the cheaper whiskeys and do much bottle chasing. (I’ve never been on FB).
    Random thoughts on Friday – sometimes I really shouldn’t sit facing my bourbon shelf…

  • Brent Joseph says:

    Randy,
    Thanks for reading and I’m glad you enjoyed the series. The 1920 is a favorite of mine. Also, just keep trying new things. Just because it’s expensive doesn’t mean it’s good and just because it’s cheap, doesn’t mean it is bad.

    • Scott Miller says:

      ” just keep trying new things” – Yep. That’s my philosophy too. Reading a trusted review and assessing the flavor profiles – the reasonable ones of course, not this “the nose was dirty leather gloves followed by worn pencil eraser – WTF? Plus finding a good bar to try before you buy helps too.

  • Rusty Dodd says:

    Enjoyed the series and pretty much agree with it all. The final point was the one that really gets me, all these two year old bourbons going for $60+ in Virginia- no thanks. The ABC stores have plenty that I enjoy for much less.

  • Steve says:

    Totally agree about unnecessarily overpriced products from any distillery, craft or behemoth. Too many craft distillers argue that their young sprits are worth $75 and up per bottle because that’s what they need to charge to achieve even a modest profit. How anybody gets the feels over that person’s plight and ponies up the dough for mediocre booze is beyond me. If your business model includes selling immature spirits at prices more than double those charged by your legacy competitors, your model is the problem, not people like me who won’t pay for it. If you can’t get into the spirit business and A. source good product until you have aged your own, or B. make your own and wait until it’s mature, then maybe that’s not the business for you. No amount of, “I want to support local businesses” will motivate me to buy a crummy product. And while we’re at it, I love craft spirits from Laws Whiskey House, The Spirits of French Lick, Ragged Branch and Frey Ranch–all places that make their own.

  • John says:

    Makes me wonder if all those nice people who pay top dollar for less are actually helping. If they spent $150 on 1920 that would be 2 1/2 bottles less for you and me.

  • Dan Zam says:

    Brent, enjoyed your series. Education is the answer, as with many things. In our capitalist economy it’s “whatever the market will bare,” I’m afraid (and the Bourbon – or alcohol — market is different in different states, but that’s a whole ‘nother story!). There are a lot of foolish folks out there, or ones with oodles of disposable income, who buy sh-t all the time, and we all know, the “marketing” component in the industry is HUGE. Marketing, marketing, marketing. So much BS. Smart folks avoid the hype and BS (e.g., about “origin” or “homage” stories), and it’s incumbent upon those folks (like you, and me (LOL) to teach others, unless of course, they want to throw their money away, so to speak.
    It’s the worst time to be a Bourbon fan. I’m 70, been a fan for 30 years at least (and I’m not a Scotch drinker). Starting collecting a bit, 10-12 years ago, when a client gave me a bottle of PVW 20 in lieu of a fee ($90 retail, at the time). I’ve never paid more than $100 for any bottle, even a 1.75 ltr. You’re correct, of course, that there’s good Bourbon out there that is still reasonably priced. And I drink it, and don’t sell it on the secondary market. When the first college tuition bill hit, I said to my wife, “I should sell the 2 bottles of PVW 20 I have, as they going for $1000 dollars on Craig’s List.” She said, “No, we’ll get by. Drink it.” As you can see, I married up (she’s a oenophile, and she has some Bordeaux’s worth thousands from the ’80s she has collected — her dowry (LOL), so she’s into enjoying, not flipping). I still have the PVW, and she and I had a dram or 2 on my 70th birthday. It’s very, very good, but not $1000,, or $2000 (the price at my local (Manhattan) liquor store), good. The way to fix part of the “system” is to eliminate flipping, but that’s impractical or impossible in our capitalist economy. So forget about that dream.

  • Tim C says:

    Great series. Agree completely. I stopped buying “new” Bourbons about a year ago. Nothing but good old ‘bottled in bond’ for me. And Maker’s. Always have Makers on hand.

  • Bruce Keene says:

    I think you are absolutely right. I, like you buy a lot of bourbon, but refuse to pay much if anything over msrp. And most of my 60+ bottles are open. I also live in your area, Zionsville. I enjoyed your articles and you perspective.

  • MATT FRANDSEN says:

    Hi, Thanks for writing the series. I agree with your points in each part. I especially agree with the point in part 4 (Kentucky Owl Confiscated–I’m talking to you!). I’m back to drinking Elijah Craig (even without the age statement) because it’s consistently good and the price has remained in the reasonable range. I’m looking forward to when bourbon is no longer a fad and we can get back to reasonable prices for all offerings.

  • Fred Honeyager says:

    I for one will never pay those prices for a Local 2 year old Bourbon, I am all for supporting Local but not at those prices for me the quality has to be there and there are just to many excellent Bourbons available from the big guys in the $25.00 to $40.00 range to pay that for a 2 year old. I will stay with my Wild Turkey 101 or some of the different Brands available from Evan William’s that I thoroughly enjoy. I do not buy anything on the Secondary Market either just not worth it to me,but as long as this continues Bourbon will stay Broken.

  • Mark says:

    Good stuff especially part 4. My everyday go to is Elijah Craig ($30) and any bottle I buy for a second time has to better and/or worth the cost. I am also big on locally sourced products
    but I cannot spend $50 for a bottle just because it’s manufactured in town. I am not a connoisseur to the point I can identify notes burnt toast and elderberries, but I know what I enjoy and I might occasionally pay $75 for a bottle, if it stands up to my Elijah Craig test!
    Good stuff thanks!

  • Tom D says:

    I totally agree, I was told by one of my liquor distributor friends that there is so much quality bourbon in the $20-$40 range that there is no need to buy one bottle at $200 when you can get 3-4 bottles for that same price and quality. I’ll try a new guy if it’s within my $30-$40 range but never higher than that price as there are too many established bourbons and whiskeys that I prefer. My go to lately is Four Rose small batch if that says anything.
    Good Article!, well said.

  • Bob Farrace says:

    Get outta my head, Brent. Your assessment is spot on and captures what so many of us feel. As a bourbon aficionado and a communications pro by trade, I’ve done a lot of thinking about how we can change the frame of what it means to be a “bourbon guy” (or girl). For too many people, it means chasing the unicorns–perpetuating the problems you described so well. And I’ll admit that I was among them early in my journey, though there were far fewer and far less expensive unicorns to chase back then. We need to somehow flip the script so that being a bourbon guy is equivalent to being a smart consumer.

    One tactic I’m planning: I’m building a bourbon flight and tasting session for friends all with bourbons available at VA ABC for under $35. Education has to start in my own backyard. Additionally, though I totally get why you stay off the bourbon groups, I use them as an opportunity to redirect questions like, “Should I buy that Blanton’s I saw for $150?” Of course you shouldn’t. It’s barely a good price for 3 Blanton’s. Why do you want it? If it’s the taste, try EWSB or Michter’s or Bowman Bros. here in VA, which is the same damn juice. If you’re drawn by the scarcity, consider what it says about you that you’re willing to overpay for a product to which you have no real connection. It’ll be a slow, thankless process. But series like this help to move the chains.

  • Nite Al says:

    Hey – loved the series and the previous comments above are rite on! My line is $50, but I enjoy the hunt without being obsessive. Too much good bourbon that is easily found to sweat the expensive unicorns.

    I’m in NC and just got back from KY. Went to Makers and Lux Row this trip. Main thing I brought back tho are cheaper BIB’s (under $20) from the Barn in Lexington that we can’t get here. Looking forward to trying those too.

    My recent splurge bourbons are store selections. I found a store in SC, just outside of Charlotte that does a lot of SiB store picks and sells for around $60 and they are a treat!!

    Again, my thanks for writing down what felt like was in my head.

    Al

  • Dan says:

    In sort, no, bourbon isn’t broken. I was once walking down a street in Chicago and there was this massive line outside and around to corner of people wanting to get into a shoe store to get the latest Nike shoes. People were walking out with multiple pairs. Now, if you’re really into Jordans and wanted to get the latest model, that might be a bummer if you weren’t able to get in line and then see the same shoes sold in the secondary market for a large markup, but it doesn’t mean that “shoes are broken.” It just means there’s a mania about certain shoes that are fashionable, and as such supple doesn’t come close to meeting demand (artificially or not). I can still be bad at basketball in many, many readily available shoes.

    Similarly, the bourbon situation is only a problem if one is sad about not being about to get the fashionable bottles for which there is more demand than supple. There’s nothing wrong with wanting those bottles! I miss having Eagle Rare readily available for $25 or $30. But so long as there are many quality options readily available (which there are), then nothing is broken, it’s just a bummer that we have to live with one way or another.

    • Ryan says:

      Spot on, Dan. All this “remember when” mentality reminds me of people who complain when a band blows up. “Man I was listening to them when they played he Vogue, now everyone likes them.”

      Really well written and I get your points, Brent, but this is nearly
      American capitalism at its finest. I get it sucks because you were in to it before the hysteria. If all the sudden hot dogs become the next American fad and you guys have a line out the door and charge $15 a dog, I will applaud you and cheer you on.

  • Rich Cannon in Wisconsin says:

    Agree totally. I have local store that I helped support when it opened 2 years ago. Spread the word to my friends. Purchased the under the counter ER’s. But then that all stopped when the local rep said, why don’t you setup a lottery. Customer buys a whiskey, pays and signs the receipt with phone number, drops into huge glass bowl. You had to buy a whiskey in order to have opportunity. If name is drawn, you have the opportunity to “purchase” said bottle. After a few drawings I won, the opportunity to purchase a Michter’s 10Yr. Rye. Bought at msrp. I became part of the problem. But then things changed for me. After purchasing more whiskey, and entering again and again, I won the right to purchase a Belle Meade Cask Strength. I didn’t want that, but was not given an option for something else. They had Col. EHT SiB and BP, Old Fitz BIB, WLWeller, and others, but those were ear marked for the next drawings. MY LIGHT BULB FINALLY WENT ON. Since day back in October, I have not been back into the store, and guess what…..I’ve never been called again!! So, I travel to other stores, some a number of miles away, in the process of establishing relationships. THANK YOU FOR THIS FANTASTIC ARTICLE!!

  • Ryan M says:

    I’d love an app that identified MGP juice. I love MGP but I’m going think differently on weather to buy a bottle if i know that it was sourced from MGP.
    P.S. Loved the 4 part series. I believe until the distributes start punishing retailers for their price gouging, the system will remain broken.

  • Thomas Muller says:

    Excellent read! couldn’t have said it better myself! I’m afraid to say this but as long as there are people out there with deep pockets I think this will continue! I’ve never paid secondary price and I’ve never waited in line!I like the hunt so if it’s there when I’m there then so be it, I’ll buy it if it’s what I’m looking for and share it with my friends and tell the story if there’s one to be told!if it’s not within MSRP then go to my regulars and at times they are hard to find anymore!(Knob Creek single barrel reserve 9 year 120 proof,Rare Breed, Russell’s Reserve Single Barrel,JDSBBP) hopefully someday it’ll just be the whiskey drinkers buying this shit and enjoying it!,until then I guess we just gotta put on our big boy underwear and drive on!

  • Chris D says:

    I’m sorry but this four-part series is one of the dumbest things ever written on bourbon internet. I don’t know how you can write four posts without talking about the actual causes of the issues, but instead basically say ‘too many people like bourbon too much’ in multiple different ways.

    Also, you can’t say “I understand supply and demand” or “I’m all for capitalism” over and over again and then completely ignore it. I knew right then and there that this was more of a selfish rant of an entitled bourbon drinker rather than an actual intelligent look at the issues. This is, in fact, a supply and demand problem, but based on your articles you don’t seem to understand what that means.

    “The Consumer Problem” – In this post, you talk about what you used to be able to find on the shelf all the time, and that you now didn’t like feeling fortunate to find a bottle of Eagle Rare. I get it. For the people who have been into bourbon for a long time it sucks that they used to be able to find these great bottles, store picks and limited editions relatively easy, but now they can’t. However, by calling this a consumer problem you’re basically saying “all these other people shouldn’t like what I like.” Too many people like bourbon too much. We’d all like to keep our hidden gems to ourselves, but that doesn’t make it any less selfish.

    “The Secondary Problem” – This is the post where you really show that you do not have a clue about supply and demand. In overly simplistic terms, the demand curve shows that a few people will pay a lot for an item or a lot of people will pay a little for an item. Basically, as the prices decreases more people will want it. The supply curve is the exact opposite. The producers will produce more as the price/ROI of an item increase. Ideally, where these curves intersect is usually where the price settles. However, in this case demand is increasing that so rapidly that producers cannot produce more to keep up and refuse to raise prices enough to bring the curves into equilibrium. Therefore, both of your points in this post are dumb.

    First, at one point in this post you say, “If you stop feeding the secondary market, things will come back to normal.” What do you thinking is going to happen if people stop feeding the secondary market? There are two options from what I see.
    1. Everyone still wants the bottle that is in high demand but refuse to pay above retail for it. In which case demand is still high, supply is still low. So, you still won’t be able to find it in a store and now you won’t be able to get it on secondary either since it doesn’t exist. You many say, “but the flippers won’t be in the market anymore.” True, but remember the demand curve. Flippers only serve those few people who are willing to pay a high price. There are many more people willing to pay a lower price. So, for everyone flipper you pull out of the market there are still at least 10 others willing to pay MSRP. Which means you will still have a hard time finding it at your local.
    2. The only other option you could mean is that fewer people should want the bourbon so that the secondary prices come down. Which is again, too many people like bourbon too much.
    Second you say, “The other downside to the secondary market is that it shows the distiller’s just how much you’re willing to pay for that bottle.” This is dumb because you think the distillers don’t already know how much we are willing to pay for that bottle. Its like you think it’s a secret, and we all should be very, very, quiet and not let on. Distillers know what we are willing to pay and are keeping the price down on purpose as a part of a longer term plan. Sure, some prices have gone up some, but do you really expect them to never raise prices?

    “The Retail Problem” – Retailers are in a tough spot, because of the “too many people want bourbon too much” problem. Distributors can stick them with less desirable bottles because so many people want the allocated bottles. Then once they get the allocated bottle, how do they determine which of 100 people who want it should get it? That’s a tough question, in my opinion.
    In this post, you use the word “fair” a lot, but what does that mean? Based upon your “small local store” section, I have a good idea of what you think is “fair,” but that’s only one version of fair. What if I’m local to that store and I spend 100k a year there? Is it fair that I have the same chance to get an allocated bottle as the guy who spends just 1000 a year? What if I’m willing to pay $500 for a bottle because I want it that much? Is it fair, that it goes to another guy that is only capable/willing to spend $100 on the bottle? It could easily be argued that any of these methods are fair, but obviously they are benefit different people.
    Stores should do what is best in their own best self-interest. Which option will generate the most profit for the business? How much work is each option? Which option creates the least amount of stress? Different stores value these things differently and will do different things.
    At the same time, I completely agree that customers should pick where they shop in a way that serves their own best self-interest. If I’m the guy that spends 100k a year, I want the store that’s going to hand me allocated bottles when they come in. If I’m a frequent regular, then I want the guy that hands them out based upon relationships with the store or a loyalty program. If I’m the guy that doesn’t get to the store frequently, I want a lottery. Of course, no one should blindly support the store. If they have a bottle you want at a price you are willing to pay, and you cannot get it cheaper elsewhere, then buy it. If they don’t support loyalty, then don’t be loyal to them. If they do shady shit that you don’t agree with don’t shop, there.
    That said, none of this is bourbon’s fault other than the “too many people want bourbon too much” problem.

    “The Final Argument” – The good news is you aren’t saying “too many people want bourbon too much” in this post. Finally! Instead, you are making the equally self-centered but different argument of “I don’t think that bottle is worth $100 and you shouldn’t either.”
    To be clear, I 1000% agree that there are a lot of $20 to $40 bourbons out there that are way better than the two year crafts or older sourced whiskeys going for $100 or more. That’s not the point. My tastes don’t define the market, they only define what I want and what I’m willing to pay for it.
    There are plenty of whiskeys out there that I thought were godawful but other people loved. I will admit, there have been times when I’ve heard some talk about one of those whiskeys and wondered if they’ve ever actually had good whiskey. I also hate eggplant, and don’t understand why anyone would buy that either. But these are my tastes. If someone really likes that 2yr craft better than a bottle of makers mark, good for them. I’m not buying it. If you don’t think the 7yr MGP rye that I love is worth the $100 I spent. No big deal. You don’t have to buy one.

    The actual problem is supply and demand, and there aren’t any easy ways to fix that. People could demand less, but good luck making that happen. Distillers can produce more, but that takes years. Producers can raise prices, so that the brand you want is more available though not at the price you may want it. The only other thing that you can do is decide that you no longer want to drink bourbon, and the rest of us will thank you for your sacrifice.

    • Brent Joseph says:

      Hey Chris,
      I appreciate the feedback, especially the insults. Not everyone has to agree with each other. Thank you for reading and taking time to respond with your thoughts. Big hugs!

    • Hank Bourbon says:

      I disagree. See, you can say that in two words instead of 1,398 (yes, I counted).

      • Chris D says:

        If you think what I wrote can be distilled down to simply “I disagree,” you’re dumber than these posts.

  • Jay says:

    Thanks for your very detailed articles. I’m a bit late in replying but I’m sure I speak for everyone in saying I wish bourbon wasn’t so crazy nowadays so we could all get our favorites for cheap whenever we want it. But I have to agree with Dan, Ryan and Chris D.’s replies upthread that disagree with you. Bourbon is not broken, there’s just more people who like it than before, and it outguns what distillers can produce. People liking something a whole lot doesn’t mean something is broken, as supply/demand and pricing are all working perfectly. Just means it kinda sucks that supply and pricing ain’t gonna be in our favor. It’s now in the distillers and liquor stores favor. Bourbon fanatics are not wrong to love bourbon and willing to pay whatever to get it. You nor anyone has a right to dictate how much others should like bourbon. This is a supply problem only, distillers need to quadruple their production rates so we can all get Blanton’s for $50 bucks. I don’t think the supply problem is ever gonna get fixed though cause now other countries are getting hot for bourbon. It’s just the new normal, at least until the next spirit takes over and bourbon goes back to obscurity.

  • Don Knott says:

    I have refused to look for and buy limited releases. I find chasing for certain popular expressions frustrating, because only a select few ever find them. I have kept to the BIBs and other similar price bourbons for now. I’m much happier too.

  • Be Prepared says:

    I’m really late to add my comment, but I appreciate the series and the comments above. Unfortunately, I think we are in a different market and will be for quite some time. These issues have been exacerbated by COVID and its impacts to the “just in time” international supply chain. On top of that, the push for converting from carbon to green seems like that will also add to underlying increases in the expenses of all inputs for products, like liquor production. We may not be there now, but the days of cheap energy seem to be waning and its effects on what we have buy and at what price will probably be significant over the next 5 to 10 years.

    I believe in the insurance policy of buying bottles that I like which, simply translated, means that when I have an extra $20 to $50 I will purchase a second bottle as insurance. I don’t buy extra to flip or collect, but to “insure” for the foreseeable future I will have libations to drink and share with friends and family when I can’t find or afford what was previously affordable. You might say that I am a bourbon prepper and realize that it’s always great to a few more bottles around than immediately needed for my rainy days. I don’t hunt, but check stores when I can. All allocated bottles where I live automatically go into a lottery and I have yet to win… that’s the way it goes, so I enjoy what I can. Just bought the Maker’s Mark FAE 2021 for $60 as a bit of a splurge.

  • Pete Volkmar says:

    Agree with all your 4 points. Consumers are their own worst enemy. I police my own Bourbon purchases with a $50.00 limit. I allow exceptions, but few and never over $100.00. Jim Beam Black makes a perfectly serviceable Old Fashioned and Russell’s Reserve a perfectly good sipper. The difference between these and Blanton’s, Elmer T. Lee and Weller isn’t worth the price. If buyers stopped paying bloated prices, MSRPs would return.

  • Myster Blimp says:

    I have been drinking Wild Turkey 101 since the late 1970s, Woodford Reserve Straight Boubron since around 2000, and Cooper’s Daughter Bourbon (about $95.00 in NYS) for the past few years. I used to keep a fully stocked bar shelf of 1 bottle of each type of booze, but now those 3 bourbons are about the only products I rebuy once I finish a bottle. I’ve had Makers Mark, Knob Creek, Bullett, Old GrandDad and some others as well but they aren’t products I keep on my shelf. And, with the exception of Cooper’s Daughter I don’t spend big bucks for a bottle of spirits beyond what I spend on Wild Turkey and Woodford Reserve.