The Horsemen Ride – Bourbon & Banter Podcast #23

The 23rd episode of the Bourbon & Banter podcast – The Horsemen Ride – is now available for your listening and drinking pleasure. With the Midwest weather, Pops and Bob have braved wind, sleet, snow, ice, hail, and bad bourbon to bring you this month’s installment of the most honest podcast in bourb

Episode 23 - Header

The 23rd episode of the Bourbon & Banter podcast – The Horsemen Ride - is now available for your listening and drinking pleasure. With the Midwest weather, Pops and Bob have braved wind, sleet, snow, ice, hail, and bad bourbon to bring you this month’s installment of the most honest podcast in bourbon.

Our community thread spotlight reflects on a new product that brings dung, yes ACTUAL DUNG, to gin. If you want to join the Bourbon & Banter community, where we cut all the bullshit from standard social media groups like crotch shots, apply via the link below.

The Bourbon & Banter Single Barrel Club is moving into 2022 with some exciting new picks just announced, including a Wyoming Whiskey private selection that we’re very excited to bring to everyone.

The whiskey news reflects on a historic burn to AB-InBev’s new Bud Light Next, likely from their arch rivals over at Miller Coors. The moral here folks: always register your web domain. Chuck Cowdery shares his thoughts on rebranding MGP’s flagship bourbon George Remus (yes, we know they changed the name of the distillery…we don’t care), and politicians are at it again, this time with Kentucky’s single barrel programs. Politicians are already inept at their jobs, just leave our whiskey the hell alone, please.

Our new release spotlight starts with one of the best offerings we’ve had recently, this one from Green River Distilling. Pops doesn’t recommend a bottle…he recommends several bottles. Woodford Reserve is set to launch their annual Kentucky Derby bottle, and Brown Forman announces 1910 Extra Old bourbon, the fifth release in their four-release series…? Yeah, we wondered about that too. Kentucky Owl is also back with a St. Patrick’s Day release. Albeit good bourbon, is it worth $135?

We wrap up the whiskey news with the story that inspired this episode’s title. A truly once-in-a-lifetime release is set for later this year featuring multiple master distillers, multiple distilleries, and multiple barrels, all brought together to raise funds for a much-needed source for truth in American whiskey. This one will blow your socks off folks!

The Craft Shoot comes in blazing with a release that inspires some of the most feverish commentaries we’ve heard from this segment. You’ll have to listen to find out if it’s good or bad.

We close Episode #23 with the most popular segment in all of bourbon podcasting: BOURBON BULLSHIT!

We address peanut butter whiskey, unfortunately, as word was released that Skrewball Peanut Butter Whiskey has seen almost 2000% growth in two years. To guide you away from flavored bullshit and towards real whiskey, we offer some alternatives that are sure to give you the peanut butter goodness you crave, while still maintaining respect for whiskey.

Speaking of pairings, we want to know what your go-to whiskey and Girl Scout Cookie pairing is. Send us a note at podcast@bourbonbatner.com and let us know which delightful cookie you reach for with your favorite pour.

Our focus in BBS is the recent announcement that the Ascot Awards will begin accepting private barrel picks this year for evaluation. We’ve made it no secret that we’re not fans of spirits competitions, and this new aspect seems like all the others: a cash grab. There’s too much to summarize here, you just have to listen to the podcast.

As the most honest podcast in bourbon, we don't pull any punches and we tell it like we see it. If you've been searching for a bourbon podcast that provides honest commentary, to the point information, and doesn't take itself too seriously – welcome home!

Here's a complete breakdown of Episode 23 – The Horsemen Ride:

  • Whiskey News (12:43)
  • Craft Shoot (46:20)
  • Bourbon Bullshit (55:31)

Are you ready? Pour yourself a drink, get comfortable, and listen to Episode 23 using the player above or via your favorite podcast player.

Warning: If you're not comfortable with unapologetic, independent thinking, plus a healthy dose of swearing, you might want to skip this one folks. It's recorded at barrel strength with full-throttle banter.

We sure hope you enjoyed episode #23 of the official Bourbon & Banter podcast and that you'll consider sharing it with your friends. We'd love to hear what you think in the comments below or by sending us an email via our podcast email address.

Have a great week and remember to stay safe while you're spreading the bourbon gospel and learning to #drinkcurious.

Hey, wait a minute. You have listened to all of our previous episodes, right? If not, head on over to our Bourbon & Banter Podcast page to get caught up.