Steve Coomes is a Louisville restaurant industry veteran turned award-winning food writer. In his 27-year career, he has edited and written for dozens of national trade and consumer publications including Pizza Today, Nation’s Restaurant News and Southern Living. As a spirits writer, Steve’s byline can be found in Whisky magazine, Bourbon Review, WhiskeyWash.com, American Whiskey magazine, Bourbon + magazine and other publications. In 2014, he authored the book, “Country Ham: A Southern Tradition of Hogs, Salt & Smoke,” and has authored other titles as a private ghostwriter.
Fell in love with bourbon by way of aged tequilas.
Am always the cook and bartender at home, for parties and on vacation with friends.
Have the funniest friends in all of humanity.
Unfulfilled dream career: Formula 1 race car driver.
I believe the best whiskey stories have yet to be told.
Desert Island Whiskey
14-year-old Knob Creek Barrel Pick “Rare Bourbon for Rare Diseases”
by the Paducah Bourbon Society
Elmer T. Lee
Old Forester 100 Proof
(for endless Old Fashioneds and Manhattans)
“Drink what tastes good to you and ignore those who disagree.”Said constantly by many of my most respected drinking friends.
Steve’s Recent Posts
- 13 Must Haves for the Perfect Bourbon Bar
- Bourbon Food Pairing 101
- Wine Plays Fine Role In Bardstown Bourbon Co.’s Tourism Strategy
- The GlenDronach Port Wood Single Malt Scotch Whisky Review
- Expresiones Del Corazon William Larue Weller Añejo Tequila Review
- SAP56 Canadian Maple Whisky Honors Maker’s Heritage and Taste Memories
- Chicken Cock 15 Year Old Barrel Proof Bourbon Review
- Blade and Bow 22-Year-Old Kentucky Straight Bourbon Review
- Angel’s Envy Limited-Edition 2020 Cask Strength Bourbon Review
- Old Forester 2020 Birthday Bourbon Review