Steve Coomes is a Louisville restaurant industry veteran turned award-winning food writer. In his 27-year career, he has edited and written for dozens of national trade and consumer publications including Pizza Today, Nation’s Restaurant News and Southern Living. As a spirits writer, Steve’s byline can be found in Whisky magazine, Bourbon Review, WhiskeyWash.com, American Whiskey magazine, Bourbon + magazine and other publications. In 2014, he authored the book, “Country Ham: A Southern Tradition of Hogs, Salt & Smoke,” and has authored other titles as a private ghostwriter.
Fell in love with bourbon by way of aged tequilas.
Am always the cook and bartender at home, for parties and on vacation with friends.
Have the funniest friends in all of humanity.
Unfulfilled dream career: Formula 1 race car driver.
I believe the best whiskey stories have yet to be told.
Desert Island Whiskey
14-year-old Knob Creek Barrel Pick “Rare Bourbon for Rare Diseases”
by the Paducah Bourbon Society
Elmer T. Lee
Old Forester 100 Proof
(for endless Old Fashioneds and Manhattans)
“Drink what tastes good to you and ignore those who disagree.”Said constantly by many of my most respected drinking friends.
Steve’s Recent Posts
- Old Fitzgerald 14 Year Old Bottled In Bond Bourbon Review (Fall 2020)
- Chicken Cock Kentucky Straight Rye Review
- Chicken Cock Kentucky Straight Bourbon Review
- Michter’s 10 Year Single Barrel Rye Review – 2020 Release
- Michter’s 10 Year Single Barrel Bourbon Review – 2020 Release
- Angel’s Envy Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey Finished in Japanese Mizunara Oak Casks Review
- The Glendronach Revival Aged 15 Years Scotch Whisky Review
- Legent Bourbon Review
- Old Fitzgerald 9 Year Old Bottled In Bond Bourbon Review (Spring 2020)
- Elijah Craig Barrel Proof B519 Review