Steve Coomes is a Louisville restaurant industry veteran turned award-winning food writer. In his 27-year career, he has edited and written for dozens of national trade and consumer publications including Pizza Today, Nation’s Restaurant News and Southern Living. As a spirits writer, Steve’s byline can be found in Whisky magazine, Bourbon Review, WhiskeyWash.com, American Whiskey magazine, Bourbon + magazine and other publications. In 2014, he authored the book, “Country Ham: A Southern Tradition of Hogs, Salt & Smoke,” and has authored other titles as a private ghostwriter.
Fell in love with bourbon by way of aged tequilas.
Am always the cook and bartender at home, for parties and on vacation with friends.
Have the funniest friends in all of humanity.
Unfulfilled dream career: Formula 1 race car driver.
I believe the best whiskey stories have yet to be told.
Desert Island Whiskey
14-year-old Knob Creek Barrel Pick “Rare Bourbon for Rare Diseases”
by the Paducah Bourbon Society
Elmer T. Lee
Old Forester 100 Proof
(for endless Old Fashioneds and Manhattans)
“Drink what tastes good to you and ignore those who disagree.”Said constantly by many of my most respected drinking friends.
Steve’s Recent Posts
- Wyoming Whiskey: Well Worth the Lone Prairie Journey
- Bourbon & Barbecue Louisville
- Breckenridge Distillery & Laws Whiskey House – Worth the Visit and Purchase
- Hardin’s Creek: Colonel James B. Beam Bourbon Review
- Blind Barrels Box Is Creative, Clever and Professional
- Hardin’s Creek: Jacob’s Well Bourbon Review
- RTD Cocktails Are Fine, But Not Yet Great
- O.H. Ingram Whiskey Proves River Aging Is a Delicious Thing
- Michter’s 2022 US*1 Barrel Strength Rye Whiskey Review
- New Riff Sherry Finished Malted Rye Whiskey Review