View Post

Roaming Man Tennessee Straight Rye Whiskey Review

In Rye Whiskey News by Matt SelfLeave a Comment

I was skeptical of a whiskey produced by a company that primarily peddles flavored moonshine. Despite the beautiful packaging, when I read the label I was still a skeptic. The smaller barrel size and air dried staves certainly lend to the earthy oak profile that is just slightly out of balance for me with the lower rye mash bill and sweeter Tennessee whiskey flavor. Although the offset is well-intentioned and designed, I think this whiskey could stand to age in a full-sized 53-gallon barrel for 6-8 years with a better result. I’m perplexed by this whiskey.

View Post

Collabor&tion Bourbon Review

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Matt Self1 Comment

This is not as egregious a marketing scam as Diageo’s Whoop & Holler but it’s in the same over-priced and under-performing class. I asked Steve Nally, the Master Distiller at Bardstown Bourbon Company, if they considered and/or tasted a lower proof point for this whiskey and his response was that “no, cask strength is really popular so we just bottled it at cask strength.” The bottle and packaging is immaculate and the hang tag has a great Henry Ford quote printed on it. It’s just all sizzle and no steak.

View Post

To Dusty or Not to Dusty: That is the Question

In Banter by Matt Self2 Comments

The dusty decanters and older bottles are very much in vogue. There aren’t many reviews for this old stuff because most people can’t get their hands on a similar bottle so many of those reviews just would not be relevant. I’ve tried my share of older product, and there is certainly some upside to opening a bottle that is (potentially) older than you. But there is also quite a bit of downside. You may find the “basement funk” and “moldy cardboard box” descriptions enjoyable while some may find them undrinkable. There is quite a variability in the quality and quantity of juice in these dusties; particularly when you enter the world of porcelain decanters.

View Post

Ranger’s Station Candle Company Review

In Gear Reviews by Matt SelfLeave a Comment

My wife keeps asking me what I want for Father’s Day. As a whiskey nerd, this is a dangerous question. Two years ago, I told her that I wanted a bottle of William Larue Weller. She went looking for it in a few liquor stores. Discouraged, she called a good friend of mine who explained to her that she couldn’t find that in a store in June (or even October). “So what should I get him?” she asked.